Model Submarines

I've been building them for years - a sort of 'secondary' hobby to my Russian aircraft fetish. :o

Most are kits, some scratchbuilt, some ready-made.

Allsubs.jpg

I have just photographed them all - and put them on my website here

Some of the older ones need re-building (e.g. USS Cusk using the newer Hobby Boss Gato kits), some need replacing with newer kits (I-400) and others just need a re-paint (mainly Soviet ones).

Some of the labels need re-doing (they got damp in storage :blink: )

I have a few more on the go - I have just discovered a Bulgarian 'firm' called 'OKB Grigorov' who makes resin subs - they are excellent.

Having them all the same 1:700 scale is great for such a collection - it can show the development over the years - e.g. WWI K Class to USS Virginia.

HMS%20K-4_01.jpg

USS%20Seawolf_01.jpg

Or size difference - I have a small HMS Holland undergoing re-fit - it's 28mm long - put it next to a Russian Typhoon (240mm) and people can't believe they are the same scale :wacko:

I also prefer them full-hull - to show the underwater 'workings'

Anyway - feel free to comment.....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I built a slew of 1:350 subs in 2004, mainly the DML kits, including a pair of Typhoons (one of which was bashed and re-scaled to represent Krasniy Oktyabr). I'd like to re-build a few of them eventually as my skills have improved quite a lot.

EDIT: I see you've got the HB Typhoon kit. I noted on mine that the hull looks too shallow, and the conning tower seems off in length and base width. You wouldn't happen to have good references, would you?

What would you say about the accuracy of the old 1:700 DML kits (Typhoon aside)?

Addendum: I've seen your Holland. How about the Hunley, Turtle, and the X-Craft?

Edited by MiG31

Ken

Geez!!! Is there anything that you can't do..Just teasing you.. :coolio:

these are magnificent....LOVELY builds.. :thumbsup::nanner:

Do you ever do a water Diorama for the Subs or is that something that you won't be doing .. .....

..... or have you done Subs with water diorama...Just wondered...

HOLMES

• 6 months later...

Hey Flankerman

YOur first pic, the sub on far left, 4th from bottom.... is that an Echo II?

Just wondering what kit that was.... I know Skywave has a waterline model, been trying to get a full hull version of that classic cold war sub myself.

Do u have some closer-up shots of that model of yours?

Ta!

Hey Flankerman

Your first pic, the sub on far left, 4th from bottom.... is that an Echo II?

Just wondering what kit that was.... I know Skywave has a waterline model, been trying to get a full hull version of that classic cold war sub myself.

Do u have some closer-up shots of that model of yours?

Ta!