Eye of the hurricane

My dad sent this to me this morning, one of his old navy P-3 Flight Engineer buddies works for NOAA and another crew member on the WP-3D he was flying on shot this Hurricane Earl eyewall penetration video this morning (9/2) Enjoy!

Edited by mikeyc5usaf

Those guys do amazing work. For a living. I got aboard Kermit many years ago. There's a big heavy overhead grab rail down the middle of the fuselage in the WP-3D. Just near the door there's a big survival kit strapped (and I do mean strapped) to the floor. The grab rail just above it had a big dent in it. The guy said they'd penetrated Hurricane Andrew (which was just a year or so before), and that survival kit had come loose and slammed into the ceiling, denting the grab rail. I stood there blinking. Like.... wow. You guys don't get paid enough. I don't care how much you make. It's not enough!

:worship:

J

PS: Why, oh WHY has there NEVER been a complete and accurate 1/72 or 1/144 WP-3D conversion kit with decals? Those are the COOLEST airplanes. They're sort of a strange hybrid of P-3 and Electra too. They're not modified P-3s as many people think. They left the assembly line as WP-3Ds.

Tell that to the thousands of people whose vacations on the Outer Banks were ruined. Have you ever been through the middle of a "whimpy" 115 mph hurricane? I can tell you it's pretty damn scary.

J

Tell that to the thousands of people whose vacations on the Outer Banks were ruined. Have you ever been through the middle of a "whimpy" 115 mph hurricane? I can tell you it's pretty damn scary.

J

I live just north of the outer banks my friend, that was nothing, and I've been through plenty of hurricanes, at sea and on land........when waves break the bow of a carrier, thats a storm. The November Nor' Easter was worse than Earl.

J

Those vacations were ruined by the TV networks fighting for ratings. Same ^$#% as during the winter when they hype the %#^$ out of snow storms.

And yes, as a police officer who lived year round on Long Beach Island, NJ, and had to stay behind, I have endured more than one hurricane.

Just once I'd love to see one of these talking heads, broadcasting from the beach, get washed out to sea.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son
Those vacations were ruined by the TV networks fighting for ratings. Same ^$#% as during the winter when they hype the %#^$ out of snow storms.

And yes, as a police officer who lived year round on Long Beach Island, NJ, and had to stay behind, I have endured more than one hurricane.

Just once I'd love to see one of these talking heads, broadcasting from the beach, get washed out to sea.

Thank you. There was some flooding in Hatteras, and you would think by watching Al Joker that a giant water f*$K death wall was heading up the Eastern Seaboard.

The last hurricane I worked at the 'Jersey Shore' was during the seventies. We had two members of the media from Phillie in the back of our (Civil Defense) Deuce and a half. Which BTW was the only means of transportation. They were scared shitless. Waves breached the dunes and rolled down the street, three, four blocks into the bay. Not a big deal. Noreasters tended to be much worse. The media does a terrible disservice by hyping these storms for ratings.

Even though my wife was one of the first to know about evacuations, she always stayed behind and baked cookies for the PD and FD. We lived on the second floor of a duplex. Our neighbors moved all their stuff up stairs to our place. Again, no big deal, we just dealt with it as a fact of life that went with living on the coast.

BTW, the beach is very, very cold in the winter.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son
that was such a whimpy hurricane, and earl inst really a hurricane name, sounds like it should have a lazy eye :monkeydance:

weather report from southeastern massachusetts: theres a twig down in my yard, repeat its a massive twig, perhaps 5 maybe 6 inches in length...

Maybe it was a "whipmy" hurricane, but did we *know* that it was going to be that way before it hit? I was in South Florida when Andrew hit, and everybody was just sure it was going to be no big deal. Great plan until the 200+ mph gusts blew the weather reporting station off the map.

I don't believe the media forced the evacuation of the Outer Banks. If I recall correctly it was the Governor of North Carolina who did that. I'm pretty sure she didn't base her evacuation order decision on what CNN or the Weather Channel were saying. I'm fairly certain she consulted NOAA and the Coast Guard on that. And whether it was warranted or not, the fact remains that lots of people had their vacations ruined and lots of businesses have lost a lot of money. Was it worth it? Maybe not - in retrospect. But if it had hit Hatteras square-on as a strong Cat 3 storm it would be a different story, wouldn't it?

J

Edited by Jennings

hahaha, a twig down. No, we didnt know it was gonna be know big deal, but it was all hyped up to be a wall of liquid death coming at the east coast, then....it spit at us. I work at NAS Oceana, we are most def one of the first to know how bad it is or when there are evacuations so we can fly all of our birds out, we didnt even do that, we just hangered everything then went on with life

hahaha, a twig down. No, we didnt know it was gonna be know big deal, but it was all hyped up to be a wall of liquid death coming at the east coast, then....it spit at us. I work at NAS Oceana, we are most def one of the first to know how bad it is or when there are evacuations so we can fly all of our birds out, we didnt even do that, we just hangered everything then went on with life

and the Air Farce flew everything off to Eglin.

I once witnessed a pair of Tomcats, in formation, land at Oceana directly into a massive T-storm and heavy rain. Guess when you land on a postage stamp, in the middle of no where, a hurricane is no big deal.