B-17 Group Build

I'm still debating on whether I want to get in on this or not... I have two 48th B-17s on my shelves already (the -F was built as "Black Jack, and is featured in the B-17 Gallery here). I have a 48th scale -G that I am sort of working on (though I haven't touched it in over 6 months) that I'm planning on converting into a B-17H that crashed in the mountains near where I live way back in 1951. (44-85746, which crashed in the Olympic Mountains here in Washington). I live about an hour's drive plus a three-mile hike from the crash site, and I've visited it a couple times, so I have a fair amount of reference material on the actual aircraft as it sits now (especially regarding colors- I even have a few paint chips from the actual wreck to match my painting to!).

That being said, I have a lot of qualms about finishing the build, one because I don't have decals for the numbering and search-and-rescue markings, and two, because I have access to the real deal, I want to do it justice, and I'm not sure that the start I have is good enough to do so. I had some problems with cutting out/filling the right waist window, and I'm not sure if my filling/scratchbuilding skills are good enough to make the other parts that'll be needed for the conversion. And finally, I don't know if I'll have the time or space available to work on it once I go back to school next week.

I'm not sure why I needed that wall of text to say this, but I just thought I'd post that I'm interested, but still not sure if I'll be able to commit to this. I'll update y'all sometime soon on my final decision.

One more for today:

Leftprofile.jpg

Is this sort of thing going to be of use to the folks here? Ask me about something specific and I will see what I can come up with. No promises, but I will take a stab at it. Wish I had some way to scan direct from the film to the computer...

Yeah, I juice on any contemporary documents.

Someone, maybe Carl K. posted the B-17 top turret progression on either AAF Forum ( Burris) or HS a few years back. It was great stuff. I think there turned out to be only four, maybe five version. The most surprising to me was that the original E/F series top turret was never flat, but always had the raised portion for the gunner's head at the six o clock position. I think there were 11 sections to the original dome which got down to 3 or four by the end. But its been a while and my memory is not as reliable as 15 years ago.

(Was Andy Devine ever on the box cover when they were called Sugar Pops?)