B-17 Group Build

I'm thinking, with all the latest B-17 talk going on here, who's in for a Flying Fortress Group Build?

My thoughts for the parameters:

1. Any model of B-17, not just WWII time frame (be it traditional bomber, test bed, exchange aircraft, waterbomber, etc)

2. Any scale, from 1/144, to custom

3. Diorama or static model

4. OOB to "So much after market that I can barely see the original kit"

5. 25% or less completed before the start of the GB

6. Start date... 1 October, 1 November, 1 December...

Who's in?

Mark

I have two B-17 in MY COLLECTION. would love to do this ....

Awesome!!!

I sent Steve an e-mail asking to have it added to the calendar, but no response yet. What I'm curious about, what about draw prizes? I'm hoping we've got enough time to get a good set of prizes for a raffle. Any insight, ideas, thoughts, suggestions from you fine folks? I'm thinking about who to talk to, and what types of prizes would we be interested in. The majority of us are prop lovers, so that helps... but I welcome your thoughts and ideas.

Mark.

I'll definitely take the offer! PM is on it's way!

As for prizes, well, heck, maybe not every decal sheet made, but is there a way that we could at least get some B-17 Decal sheets in? It's a great idea to have decals of other B-17's, or, other stuff.

I can say right now that I can offer the 1/48 True details waist gun position AM set as a whole. So, there's at least 1 raffle prize.

*Just so it's known, no matter what anyone enters, so long as it's finished by the end of the GB, their name is in for a raffle prize - that's the idea. It's not based on a competition basis at all.*

Cheers!

Mark.

That would be pretty slick to see too! That was just one strange lookin bird (the testbed).

Is there anyone out there who could also be on deck to make us up some banners too?

I still haven't gotten word back from Steve about adding this one to the schedule... soon I hope.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ah, the Fort-Caster. This one's stirred up some interesting controversy, in that some think the story and aircraft actually existed. Heck, I would have believed the story, aside from 469 Being a Australian squadron designator (whether 469 existed or not... we hold numbers 400-450 (or 449), the Ausies were given the 450's and up IIRC).

Anywho, wicked model. I've still got some Spare B-17 Parts, and if the deal for the Mitchell decals goes through, I've also got a Dam Buster... BUT... alas, I can't replicate someone's original idea.

What would be unique for a B-17 Hybrid... unless it's already been done... combine a few of the main American bombers from WWII, Ie., B-17 + B-24 + B-25 + B-26 + B-29... hrrrmmmmm.... Trycicle landing gear, from the Mitchell (along with the outter wing halfs grafted on for the unique Mitchell wing tip shape), the tail guns and turrets, along with obervation blisters from the B-29, graft on the B-24 Wings, nose, and landing gear... and I can't see what the B-26 parts could be used for...

And this creation, or even the mention of it, is likely going to have a few people pretty ticked at me.

Edited by Kostucha
Ah, the Fort-Caster. This one's stirred up some interesting controversy, in that some think the story and aircraft actually existed. Heck, I would have believed the story, aside from 469 Being a Australian squadron designator (whether 469 existed or not... we hold numbers 400-450 (or 449), the Ausies were given the 450's and up IIRC).

Anywho, wicked model. I've still got some Spare B-17 Parts, and if the deal for the Mitchell decals goes through, I've also got a Dam Buster... BUT... alas, I can't replicate someone's original idea.

What would be unique for a B-17 Hybrid... unless it's already been done... combine a few of the main American bombers from WWII, Ie., B-17 + B-24 + B-25 + B-26 + B-29... hrrrmmmmm.... Trycicle landing gear, from the Mitchell (along with the outter wing halfs grafted on for the unique Mitchell wing tip shape), the tail guns and turrets, along with obervation blisters from the B-29, graft on the B-24 Wings, nose, and landing gear... and I can't see what the B-26 parts could be used for...

And this creation, or even the mention of it, is likely going to have a few people pretty ticked at me.

haha, how about a USN '46 experement by putting folding wings A-6 style on, a tail hook, and attaching points on the main struts for a catapult bridle:)

No, absolutely! I'm not limiting it at all to war time. I would just like to see it include all flying examples of the -17. From War Time bomber, mail plane, VIP transport, engine test bed, fire bomber, tour aircraft, prototypes, search and rescue... and that's just American uses, along with all the other countries that used them for their various roles. But just real examples... not imaginary.

No, absolutely! I'm not limiting it at all to war time. I would just like to see it include all flying examples of the -17. From War Time bomber, mail plane, VIP transport, engine test bed, fire bomber, tour aircraft, prototypes, search and rescue... and that's just American uses, along with all the other countries that used them for their various roles. But just real examples... not imaginary.

I was agreeing with you, guess I could have worded it better, but I was pre-occupied with the countdown to football ;)

Well i'm up for it....

Had some spare time today so spent it in my local library,in its special 2nd Air Division,8th Air Force room looking at some of the unit history books trying to decide which planes to build....not an easy task!!

flags.jpg

cases.jpg

books.jpg

Gary

What's the status of this potential groupl build? Anyone get the approval? I don't see it on the group build calendar yet so I'm thinking it's still in work. I'd like to participate. I have a special fortress in mind for my contribution. She's a 91st bird made famous in pictures.

Your welcome to join in the Fortress Fun, we are not going to start until Jan 1. Still in the planning phase, getting raffle prizes together, need to make a banner.......and get a hold of Steve, thats the big one. So far there are some great ideas floating around. Was you Superfort in another thread, if its the one I'm thinking of it looked great!!!