SPITFIRE Mk1- 1/48

007.jpgSpitandDora003.jpg

I'd probably stick with Tamiya as a one time build. As others have said it is a great kit.

The pics are of my recent Airfix build (before I touched up the underwing marking that I ended up getting a crease in). The main reason I built it (other than it was a new tooling kit) is that it had the option to do a pre-war Spit out of the box. That included the two bladed wooden propeller and markings for the first Spitfire squadron in Fighter Command. If you could source decals, I think Quickboost or Ultracast does a resin prop for the early Spit. I wanted an easy fun build and in that the Airfix kit lives up to that standard.

The Tamiya kit that I built a long time ago and has returned to the earth (or at least the landfill) by now. If you find reviews of the Spit Vb and Vb Tropical those are essentially the same kit with a cannon armed 'B' wing versus a machine gun 'A' wing.

I figure the biggest thing may end up being whose kit you can find most easily. I grabbed my Airfix Spit the one time I have seen it on the shelves here Stateside. The Tamiya is much easier to find around here. In the UK it probably is the Airfix kit. Just something else to think about.

Edited by Matt Roberts

On a somewhat different note... What is the surface detail like on the 1978 issue airfix mk Vb? My dads got an original still in shrink wrap in his closet and im trying to convince him it would look better on display then on ebay! But i want to know if its worth it to even try to build it or if i should just go out and get the hasegawa offering. BTW I dont care about what the int. is like as I have a TD mk Vb cockpit somewhere

Thanks,

Erich

Edited by EZhotshot511
What is the surface detail like on the 1978 issue airfix mk Vb?

It has reasonably fine raised panel lines. If it is an early issue it would be well worth a build as the mouldings will be nice and clean. Recent issues show every indication that the tooling is pretty well shot, although that only applies to the fuselage as a new wing was provided for the Vc issue (although the new wing is not particularly good). These old Airfix Spitfires compare very favourably with published data and as much as people like the Tamiya kits I've always felt there's something not quite right with them, whereas the Airfix kits look the part when made up.

peebeep