Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc

I don't think I can add much that hasn't already been said about this kit, but it is definitely the best kit I've ever worked on by a mile.

There's some extra detailing in the cockpit and engine bay, Tamiya neglected a lot of the hydraulic , pneumatic and electrical lines in both areas.

Major colours are all Tamiya. The finish was a Tamiya Gloss / Flat base mix around 80/20. Not dead flat.

Other colours are a mix of PS, Citadel , Tamiya and MM acrylics.

The major national and squadron markings were masked and painted rather than using the kit decals. The code # and stencils are decaled though. In hind sight I probably would have painted the wing walk strips as well. Tamiya supply both red and green Maple Leaf decals. I went with the red. I wasn't going for accuracy, just what I felt looked better.

The biggest oops here is that the JE on the starboard side is set too low, the canopy rail should be under the top arm of the E, not above it. Mis-set the mask and didn't notice until I pulled it all off, by which time it was way too late.

Wash is oils. Almost no weathering other than the belly oil streak and some pastels for the tyres and for the exhaust staining. I wanted this example to be relative clean to show off the detail.

DSC_7716.jpg

DSC_7740.jpg

DSC_7743.jpg

The panels around the engine are a bit of a fiddle to get fitting perfectly. I didn't notice until after I took all the pictures that I must have slightly knocked them out of line. They do line up better than this.

DSC_7742.jpg

DSC_7741.jpg

(Ignore the fact that both ailerons are drooped slightly, I must have bumped them handling for the pictures.)

DSC_7749.jpg

A couple of details pics from earlier in the build.

DSC_6904.jpg

DSC_6871.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Wow, Matt, you have done a beautiful job all the way around. She is a real beauty, for sure. Congrats on an excellent build! She deserves a place of honour on your shelf. The engine and cockpit are like kits on their own, aren't they? :thumbsup: I have that kit in my stash, I am waiting for next summer's vacation to start it so that I can really take my time on it. Hope to do half as nice a job as you have done.

;)

Edited by Jamie Cheslo
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice to see a Tamiya Spit done up as JE-J that hasn't been weathered half to death. Not only does it show of the lines better, IMHO it's a much more accurate representation of a Wing Commander's personal mount. Well done!

Edit: ...and flaps up, too. Extra bonus points!

Edited by tbell