The Antiquarianism in the Coffers of St. Evans Garret

Antiquarianism: pertaining to antiquaries or to the study of antiquities

Coffers: a box or chest, esp. one for valuables

St. Evans: Stevens

Garret: an attic, usually a small, wretched one

Translation: "The Old Junk in the Boxes of Steven's Attic"

After 3 layoffs in a year, I enrolled in school and this was done for my color theory class last semester. The instructor wanted us to use non traditional mediums for the project, so this was an excuse to gut all of those old half built/unbuilt kits that had been taking up space in the attic.

The starting point was an old ceiling tile that was not doing anything

LAST.jpg

My wife and I spent about 4 nights breaking parts off of trees and putting them in another box without regard for anything, other than getting as many large/small parts as possible.

LAST1.jpg

The glue was going to be the make or break part of the project, but I found some YES paste in the book store, that I put in a glass jar and microwaved for about 15 seconds until it was runny. Worked like a charm, poured out in large areas, thick, and dried overnight, so lots of working time.

LAST3.jpg

I had the idea that I would cover the entire thing with tissue for continuity, after doing this to parts of the background and the main figure, I abandoned that idea and just went with the raw parts.

LAST2.jpg

Except for a few pieces, the entire piece was constructed and then painted with tube acrylics. Total time was about 7-8 evenings, with half of that getting all of the parts in one box.

It was fun to take to class for critique, as different people were seeing different things, things that I never thought of.

Steve

Steve,

I looked at this and was reminded of MY sister who is an Artist by trade. She studied art

and I rememebr her doing things like this with odd and bods and ends of all sorts and quite enjoyed it..

SO....When I saw this I thought it is quite impressive and the "jumbled " up mess as one would think it looked like.....

to ME looks like you have a theme going on.The skull, bones and other mask- like- faces opposes life and Death and yet is intriguing.

As death is ground down you have the birds and life.

It is quite BAROQUE .....reminds ME of Salvador DALI's kind of work of art...{ I mean that to be a compliment }

Although when you stand away from the screen and you look at it, you see

an animal treading over broken fragments of Life and lifes little foibles.....just like the raw parts you have used in this sculpture !

VERY INTERESTNG....

Hope you get the grade you want...

HOLMES :jaw-dropping:

See- That's what I'm talking about, this piece gets interpreted in so many different ways. I won't tell what I was thinking when/during the process, only that it seemed to take on a life of its own.

Who is Geiger? I'm not familiar with that artist

Thanks for the feedback

Steve

See- That's what I'm talking about, this piece gets interpreted in so many different ways. I won't tell what I was thinking when/during the process, only that it seemed to take on a life of its own.

Who is Geiger? I'm not familiar with that artist

Thanks for the feedback

Steve

I think you should let us in on the secret...I find Giger tad obscene but his work is GOOD !{Not MY cup of tea!!} :jaw-dropping: