Whew a close one for lil ole Earth today

Asteroid on a near miss

6-14 metre asteroid apexed Earth at 79,000kms today 5:12pm Eastern. A previous 10-20 meter one came by on Sunday about 248,000 kms. Now they may not have been planet killers but at those sizes could have caused a lot of hurt and likely kill some life where and near by had they did hit.

Hmmmm very interesting ;)

Wow, close call astrologically speaking. Thats about a quarter of the way to the moon or maybe even closer isnt it?

Were due actually for another Tungusta sized impact, they happen on average every 100 years or so. To paraphrase on of the shows on the subject I've seen recently, Its the ones we dont know about that are the most dangerous.

I'm not too worried......it's not 2012 and according to all disaster movies......New York city always gets hit.......and I'm a long way from NY City. :cheers:

Indeed.. and have you ever noticed that in those disasters movies, when they're showing how the disaster is going to spread out over the "world" the red lines always stop at the US/Canada border?

Indeed.. and have you ever noticed that in those disasters movies, when they're showing how the disaster is going to spread out over the "world" the red lines always stop at the US/Canada border?

There was that one "asteroid hitting the Earth movie" a few years back....I watched it at the theatre here in western Canada......and when they announced in the movie that the smaller asteroid hit western Caanda......one guy in the theatre audience said quite loudly for all the audience to hear...."DAMN!" The whole theatre broke into laughter.

That was "Deep Impact," and Canada was spared when the American (U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!) astronauts sacrificed themselves by flying their spaceship full of nukes into the incoming asteroid/comet. Of course the first one landed in the Atlantic, wiping out NYC and DC..can't have a real disaster movie without obliterating at least some of our national monuments!

Interestingly, the movie features a Tsunami taking out the Statue of Liberty and the Twin Towers. When I saw the movie on TV after 9/11 I noticed those scenes were cut from the "New York Gets Wiped Off The Map" sequence. I don't know if they've been restored to the TV version or not.

I snapped this pic on the way back from the IPMS Nationals in Phoenix back in '04. That's Arizona's Barringer Crater from about 35k ft. It's a mile wide, nearly 600 ft deep, and was formed by a nickel-iron meteor only about 150 ft (50 meters) across some 50,000 years ago. Imagine if an event like that happened in a populated area today. Or off a heavily populated coast...

SN

Nats2004545a.jpg

I snapped this pic on the way back from the IPMS Nationals in Phoenix back in '04. That's Arizona's Barringer Crater from about 35k ft. It's a mile wide, nearly 600 ft deep, and was formed by a nickel-iron meteor only about 150 ft (50 meters) across some 50,000 years ago. Imagine if an event like that happened in a populated area today. Or off a heavily populated coast...

SN

Nats2004545a.jpg

looks like my sisters fell on her ar*e again !!

looks like my sisters fell on her ar*e again !!
rimshot.gif

I know, I know..you'll be here all week... :rolleyes:

Aaaaannyway, I got that shot completely by chance. I just happened to be looking out the window (OK, my nose is always glued to the window when I'm in a plane) and thinking "desert....desert....desert.....BIG HOLE!" :o

Fortunately I managed to get my camera in time to snap a pic. I didn't even realize what it was at first..I thought maybe we were flying over an old nuke test range or something. After a couple seconds I realized what I was looking at, and was totally geeked! I'd read about the crater since I was a kid, but never expected to actually see it.

SN

Edited by terrysumner

if you have never seen , this was the largest !! it was confusing ( not that many years ago ) as to what caused this phenomenon

but we now realise it was an asteroid air burst !!

i remember all sorts of theorys up till the late 80's because of the secrecy of russia at the time !!

Visit My Website

Another thing that often happens in movies is when a bunch of people say "Gosh, it never happens here/to us," and then in the next scene....

Would a 14-20 m asteroid survive passing through the atmosphere without breaking up into pieces or air burst? Maybe that depend on the make up of the astreroid and the angle it hits?

Aparently 10-20 kiloton air bursts happen at least once a year acording to U.S. Air Force's Defense Support Program, produced by asteroids 10m across

From Spaceweather.com:

On September 9, 2010 there were 1144 potentially hazardous asteroids.

Recent & Upcoming Earth-asteroid encounters:

Asteroid Date(UT) Miss Distance Mag. Size

2010 QG2 Sep 3 4.6 LD 24 61 m

2010 RB12 Sep 4 2.5 LD 27 18 m

2010 LY63 Sep 7 56 LD 18 1.2 km

2010 RX30 Sep 8 0.6 LD 27 16 m

2010 RF12 Sep 8 0.2 LD 28 9 m

2009 SH2 Sep 30 7.1 LD 25 45 m

1998 UO1 Oct 1 32.1 LD 17 2.1 km

2005 GE59 Oct 1 77 LD 18 1.1 km

2001 WN5 Oct 10 41.8 LD 18 1.0 km

1999 VO6 Oct 14 34.3 LD 17 1.8 km

1998 TU3 Oct 17 69.1 LD 15 5.3 km

1998 MQ Oct 23 77.7 LD 17 1.9 km

2007 RU17 Oct 29 40.6 LD 18 1.0 km

2003 UV11 Oct 30 5 LD 19 595 m

3838 Epona Nov 7 76.8 LD 16 3.4 km

2005 QY151 Nov 16 77.7 LD 18 1.3 km

2008 KT Nov 23 5.6 LD 28 10 m

2002 EZ16 Nov 30 73.9 LD 18 1.0 km

2000 JH5 Dec 7 47 LD 17 1.5 km

2010 JL33 Dec 9 16.6 LD 18 1.3 km

Notes: LD means "Lunar Distance." 1 LD = 384,401 km, the distance between Earth and the Moon. 1 LD also equals 0.00256 AU. MAG is the visual magnitude of the asteroid on the date of closest approach.

Would a 14-20 m asteroid survive passing through the atmosphere without breaking up into pieces or air burst? Maybe that depend on the make up of the astreroid and the angle it hits?

I think I heard once that carbonacious (rocky) meteors tend to break up/explode before hitting the ground, while the much denser nickel-iron ones more often make it to impact in one piece. I saw a U-haul truck today that had one of those "fun facts about the states" pictures on the side, that mentioned a huge metioric impact basin under Cheseapeake Bay. I'd never heard of that one.

SN