So my production of models still hasn't made it back to the point of.....well.....production. My work (and life in general) keeps me going 24/7 these days. Putting blade to plastic continues to be just out of my reach for the near future yet. So I figured I'd show off a little of what I've been doing lately.

Normally I partake in drafting of residential style projects (with the odd commercial project thrown in). I've used AutoCad (2D) as my main software for over 16 years. But this past year I've been (slowly) integrating a new Autodesk software called 'Revit' into my business. This allows me to model my projects in 3D, and get my production drawings from that model. With that, I have the ability to present rendered 3D images of my projects to my clients - while producing the working drawings required to build said project.

Anyway, I wanted to post some of the images I've done lately. These are for a masonry contractor I do lots of work for (not my main type of work - but certainly an exciting sideline). These are far from pro yet....but I'm very happy with how far I've gotten in the few months using this program. Enjoy...

Interior Fireplace...

Fireplace08.jpg

Exterior BBQ station (opposite wall of the Fireplace above)...

BBQ-04.jpg

Exterior Fireplace (at same residence as the Fireplace and BBQ above)...

Ext-Fireplace01.jpg

Proposed concept for a seating area of a new Bar being built...

Bar01.jpg

Tilt,

You have done some real IMPRESSIVE work there.

The fireplace looks so neat and I love the way you

have incorporated the outer wall of the fireplace to use it as a BBQ

station..Good work .

The exterior Fierplace is SO COOL !! It reminds ME of the Ampitheatre structure and like the way

BBQ seating is placed..

KUDOS Tilt !! :monkeydance::monkeydance:

Really nice work and design, Tilt ...

I love how the outdoor fireplace almost has a California Mission style architecture or feel ... To me anyway, having visited a couple of Missions in my past ...

Love the BBQ too .... We have an outdoor one like that as well in that it butts up to our indoor fireplace and uses the same chimney stack ... Nothing as nice as yours though ...

Gregg

Interesting images, thanks for posting!

I'm just in the process of getting to grips with Archicad, so as soon as I have anything to post up I will do so and we can compare notes. The company I'm working with looked at Revit earlier this year, but the deal fell through - they were looking to be Revit agents. I'm finding it difficult to grasp the idea of ditching Autocad in favour of 3d BIMs, but as you say it is the way forward. I'm finding Archicad a bit easier to learn as it seems to be more intuitive than Revit, but I think output for working drawings is superior with Revit.

peebeep

Post away PB. In fact, anyone with interesting cad images go ahead.

Here's another I did today...

Basement_Fireplace02.jpg

I'm not fond of the masonry layout in this one, but it's what they asked for. However, I had a significant break-thru today with this. I created the Fireplace Front from scratch using the 'conceptual mass' program. Taught myself the basics on a 'wing an a prayer' today. This sure opens up a lot of avenues for me. And I'm afraid I've completely geeked out on this aspect all day (can you say obsessed? - lol).

Hi Tilt...some very nice work there. If you can, I'd strongly recommend getting on to a training course. As a CAD instructor and tech support guy, I see quite a few people who teach themselves, but end up developing bad habits in terms of workflows, file management and general modelling techniques, which can cause problems further down the track. Attending a course will not only give you the basic skills (which you appear to already have!) but also delve a little deeper into the software and give you skills which may not be gleaned from tutorials alone.

Again, great work!

Yeah, that's good advice Damo. I did take an introductory course about 2 months ago. It was offered to me at the place I purchased my software (they gave me a great deal on the course). It was okay....but not stellar. Being an introductory to Revit 2011, it only glanced on several of the functions. I knew a good amount of what was being taught. But the great aspect to the course was that it was 4 days of no-distraction Revit practice for me. No phones, wife, kids, or other projects.....just Revit.

I'd like to take an advanced course now, but I'm unsure where to even begin looking for such a thing. I may have to look for something like that down in the US. I'm happy I'm using this program part time now, but I really want to be using it full time. I just have far too many blanks to fill in before I'm comfortable doing my main work with it.

Tilt

Not sure what the situation is in Canada, but here in Oz, most resellers offer a variety of courses from basic to advanced. I mainly teach Inventor and AutoCAD, and the company I work for offers about 6 different courses for Inventor, and about the same for AutoCAD. We also offer customised training where there are specific needs to be addressed. Once you've done the training, of course, nothing beats hands-on time.

• 1 month later...

Here's my first effort at producing a BIM in Archicad. It is an old flour mill located not too far from where I live which is currently in a state of dereliction, but the owner wants to refurbish it and turn it into a luxury home to let. The single storey part is a turbine housing, as the mill was originally water powered, not with a wheel, but a turbine. I might add the mill race to illustrate it as a water feature - currently the mill race is dammed up and is a dried up culvert.

LttleburyMill02.jpg

LttleburyMill01.jpg

LttleburyMill04.jpg

LttleburyMill03.jpg

I'm working on another model at the moment, which has taught me an awful lot more about the software and should be a much better model.

peebeep

Here's another 3D model, this time a proposal for a new house. The project is actually under way, but we used the proposal to develop this 3D model that will go up on a website:

12.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I need to have a look at developing some interiors to see how well the Archicad interior 3D engine works in comparison with Revit.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

Wow!! Some nice works there PB. Looks like you're getting into it nicely. It's just a great tool for this industry, and I see it advancing further and further daily.

I've done a few more works with Revit, but still no full houses. As I learn more, I'm able to add increasing detail to my works. As things shift into the winter months here, I'm hoping I get some time to spend teaching myself more advanced features.

Here's a couple of my latest...

Backyard-01.jpg

Backyard-03.jpg

Test02.jpg

Test03.jpg

Test04.jpg

I like the landscaping on the last three images, there are some very impressive tree and plant objects in it.

I'm going to re-render my images as I just discovered I was using the inferior engine to produce them.

peebeep

• 3 months later...

My Archicad 'education' is ongoing and I have been doing some more stuff. Just before Christmas I was asked to model a proposal for a substantial extension and conservatory to a farm house that involved quite a few architectural features. I wasn't really sure how to model everything, but we got there in the end:

Exterior5.jpg

Exterior3.jpg

The client wanted a visualisation of the interior and that was also a bit of a challenge:

Interior2.jpg

Interior1.jpg

Interior4.jpg

I tried to place the lighting to get dramatic shadows to the interior.

More recently I was approached by somebody who has a company that sells 'glass' rooms. He wants photo images to send out with customer quotes. The system consists of high quality aluminium components and very heavy glass and looks really cool:

09-1.jpg

07-1.jpg

One thing I don't like is the Archicad trees, I'm on the lookout for a library of trees that look more realistic.

peebeep

• 4 weeks later...

That's some nice work there PB. Looks like you're really getting a grasp of the program and it's working for you.

I'm making baby steps in Revit yet. I'm planning to take a more advanced course sometime this year. I need to take this program to the next step, and really incorporate it into my work.

Here's a couple images to view. The first is a Revit render, with the second being the actual constructed Purgola. The mason added a few things after the fact, and made it even nicer.

The last image is of a Fireplace / Pizza Oven combo that will be built in a home here in Red Deer. Looking forward to the finished product.

Pergola-01.jpg

Purgola01.jpg

Pizza-Fireplace01.jpg

Needless to say, work has me going almost 24/7 lately. So model building took a shot in the arm.But that's the way it goes.