Gloss coats for decaling and sealing

Hey ARC'ers, I'm at a point where I am ready to paint and gloss coat a finished build. My experience with "Future" is that it darkens the final coat of paint way past what the original color was/is. Does an enamel gloss coat have the same affect, if not which brand are you using to accomplish the gloss coat, and is it cost effective?, or is there a way to make the "Future" not have this affect?. I really don't want to mix paint to get a lighter base color just to eventually get the look I'm shooting for.

Clif, if you're overcoating any matt surface with a clear gloss treatment then it is likely to darken the original colours. This doesn't apply to paints that already have a gloss sheen, which is the advantage of using them and you do away with the need for a gloss coat prior to decalling in any case. If you're using matt paints in any case (I do) then there are a few tricks that can reduce the problem:

1. Lighten the colours a bit before application so that after an application of varnish they go back to their original shades. But you knew that already!

2. Add some gloss medium to the paint before application. A small amount of gloss varnish added to matt paint leaves you with a satin finish that won't be affected (as much or not at all, it depends how 'satin' the surface is) by a gloss overcoat.

3. Use the matt paint unadulterated, gloss coat, decal, then seal with a varnish coat that has a tiny amount of white/pale grey added. The varnish white/grey mixture will lighten the paintwork, but this is a tricky one as you can't see the effect until the varnish is dry and it is easily overdone. It does have the benefit of toning down and blending in the decals.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

Keep on trying the future. Are you brushing it on or spraying it on? I don't think it really matters what you use as far as a gloss coat. The results should be the same. If you are going to finish with a flat or satin finish, the color should lighten back up for you. Do some experimenting on some scrap plastic or a "junker" model. Good luck with your future projects.

Hey ARC'ers, I'm at a point where I am ready to paint and gloss coat a finished build. My experience with "Future" is that it darkens the final coat of paint way past what the original color was/is. Does an enamel gloss coat have the same affect, if not which brand are you using to accomplish the gloss coat, and is it cost effective?, or is there a way to make the "Future" not have this affect?. I really don't want to mix paint to get a lighter base color just to eventually get the look I'm shooting for.

Personally, I've been using either Tamiya or Gunze Aqueous Hobby gloss clear with great success. Have never used "Future", since it's darned near impossible to get locally where I live, for some reason.

I never cared for future that much as a gloss coat, I could never get the paint down to a good flat finish that I like. Personally I like using Tamiya Semi-gloss with decal setting solution to apply my decals with. Or just use Gunze paint thats already semi gloss LOL

I never cared for future that much as a gloss coat, I could never get the paint down to a good flat finish that I like.

Mix Future with Tamiya flat base. 70% Future/30% flat base will give you a super flat finish. Reduce the Flat base to get degrees of satin sheen.

peebeep

...i've had white specks show up

Give the flat base a good stir before adding to the Future, then give the mix a good stir and make sure all the flat base is in solution. Any whiteness or blooming means there's too much flat base, not a disaster as additional coats with less flat base will fix it. With any flat coat the key is making sure the flatting agent is completely distributed into the carrier.

peebeep

Give the flat base a good stir before adding to the Future, then give the mix a good stir and make sure all the flat base is in solution. Any whiteness or blooming means there's too much flat base, not a disaster as additional coats with less flat base will fix it. With any flat coat the key is making sure the flatting agent is completely distributed into the carrier.

peebeep

Too much effort, I personally get a better result using Tamiya Spray Semi gloss and Flat, or pouring off most of the carrier in Testors Dullcoat if i want a dead flat finish. Plus I find the more clear coats you use, it winds up darking or lighting the finish or you can't get the "flat" finish you started off with.

To each his own... :worship:

Too much effort

No pain, no gain. In my experience good, reliable finishing requires a bit of effort and I'm a natural born lazy boy! If you're willing to take a risk with the technique you describe, fair enough. :thumbsup:

peebeep