OT: Painting camo on your clothes

One of my other hobbies is hunting. Since I like to airbrush models, I figure why not paint cheap clothes cammo instead of buying expensive trademarked patterns (Mossy Oak, Real Tree, etc.).

Questions:

-Can I use my Tamiya Acrylic model paints (will they be durable, scent free once cured)

-Is their another peferred paint or dye?

-Anyone else try this?

I'm thinking of starting with a plain T-shirt and maybe moving on to giving a blaze-orange hat some cammo. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I accidentally dumped Model Master enamel RLM 66 ona pair of shorts once and the shorts wore out before the paint did.

Having said that, why don't you check out an Army surplus store and buy old BDU's? Could be far less expensive than buying designated hunting clothes or paintng existing cloths.

Just a thought.

Tamiya acrylics will come out in the wash.

Google is your friend for finding out more about painting shirts.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/fabric...ndtextilepaints

http://painting.about.com/od/fabricpaintin...icPaintTips.htm

http://www.fabricspraypaint.com/product_27...bric-Paint.html

Edited by Snowy

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself.Deer season starts in November where I live ,so most camo does not really work ,as there is little to no foliage on the trees and usually snow on the ground.I was thinking of buying black Carhartt overalls and doing a white/gray pattern to blend in with the trees ,which are mostly Aspen/Cottonwood where I hunt.

Grouse ,duck,goose and deer.......oh boy oh boy !!!! Moose and Elk.......not this year .

Paul T

FWIW, I accidentally dumped Model Master enamel RLM 66 ona pair of shorts once and the shorts wore out before the paint did.

Modeling rule #4 - paint always adheres better when you really don't want it to adhere to something.

Regarding clothes painting, considering the current prices of modeling acrylic paints, you'll probably end up coming out ahead $$-wise if you buy the pre-printed items vs. making your own.

Ken

Modeling rule #4 - paint always adheres better when you really don't want it to adhere to something.

Regarding clothes painting, considering the current prices of modeling acrylic paints, you'll probably end up coming out ahead $$-wise if you buy the pre-printed items vs. making your own.

Ken

The cheapest route would be to find fabric you like in a craft store and to make your own. :whistle:

All good comments and input

Yes, Tamiya acrylics are not the most economical paint, but I got many jars I'll never use all of. If they do was out, that might be a good thing for doing some trial and error or fading what I did.

Money for new hunting clothes honestly isn't an issue, I'm doing this for fun. In this particular case, I want a blaze-orange cammo boonie hat and I've searched up and down and can't find one I like. So I bought a plain blaze-orange boonie and will experiment on that.

I have also bought some military BDUs, very cost effective. I like the old woodland pattern for the local environment in the woods.

I've also had a bottle of Testor's Enamel go thru the wash, the wife was not happy...

I Was thinking about trying one if those old Wehrmacht dotted patterns.... Sg

I only use Tamiya and Model Masters paint, while modeling I use old white cotton T-shirts as rags for wiping and spraying paints onto them. From time to time I’ll have the wife wash them just to clean and make soft, but the paint never come out. Maybe over time the paint will fade but for the most it’s still there.

As a second choice you could go to a graft store and buy fabric paint, used just for what your looking to do. I think it’s a great idea making your own camo clothing, and besides you get to choose your colors and pattern.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

I've also had a bottle of Testor's Enamel go thru the wash, the wife was not happy...

It's amazing what our wives will put up with in the course of our hobby. My crime was leaving ink pens in my pockets. It finally sunk in about the third time of my cleaning the dried ink out of the clothes dryer drum with carburator cleaner and then a soapy rag!

Hey, here's another option: Buy white painter's clothes and go play paintball with tactically colored paint balls!

They do make fabric paint its another hobby. A lot of air brushes are sold just for that. My wife was doing that for the children she taught, used my air brush. it does not come out in the wash. I like the idea of the black coveralls with white over spray. I used commercial spray paint to cammo a gun stock but I'm not happy with the pattern. I will probably redo it. I have several sets, about 8, of left over BDUs since I retired so I'm set for cammo. As an aside Cheaper then Dirt has surplus German snow cammo fairly cheap, white with a green over spray. Have fun and good hunting wih ever way you choose to go.

TC

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself.Deer season starts in November where I live ,so most camo does not really work ,as there is little to no foliage on the trees and usually snow on the ground.I was thinking of buying black Carhartt overalls and doing a white/gray pattern to blend in with the trees ,which are mostly Aspen/Cottonwood where I hunt.

Grouse ,duck,goose and deer.......oh boy oh boy !!!! Moose and Elk.......not this year .

Paul T

Camo in the sense of military clothing is to hide from a humans eye sight not animals like deer.

Camo in the sense of military clothing is to hide from a humans eye sight not animals like deer.

I thought the purpose of cammo was to break up your outline, at least that's always been my goal when hunting. Sitting still and being quiet are even bigger factors to my hunting success.

I have found military cammo to be quite adequate in thus regard. Certainly there are dozens of optimized patterns nowdays for most environments.

They do make fabric paint its another hobby. A lot of air brushes are sold just for that. My wife was doing that for the children she taught, used my air brush. it does not come out in the wash. I like the idea of the black coveralls with white over spray. I used commercial spray paint to cammo a gun stock but I'm not happy with the pattern. I will probably redo it. I have several sets, about 8, of left over BDUs since I retired so I'm set for cammo. As an aside Cheaper then Dirt has surplus German snow cammo fairly cheap, white with a green over spray. Have fun and good hunting wih ever way you choose to go.

TC

I agree. Fabric paint is your best option and you should be able to find a variety of colors.