Anyone Here Use WEM Paints?

I tried airbrushing WEM for the first time tonight. I thinned it about 50:50 using roughly 50% mineral spirits and 50% lacquer thinner. It went on OK, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. IMHO, Floquil airbrushes much better--or do I need to learn new techniques for WEM?

Maybe after hearing all the hype about it my expectations were raised too high?

Hi there, I use WEM and Xtracolor exclusively and have never had any problems airbrushing them.

It is most important that you mix the paint in the tin well, I use a battery operated Badger mixer and stir for at least 3 minutes.

I add the appropriate amount of thinner to a small glass jar, I usually start with a 50:50 mix paint to thinners, for thinners I use Xtracolor XDTT or white spirit.

I then use a pipette to transfer the paint to the jar and mix the paint and thinners well, for this I use the pipette, sucking the mixture in and out.

Using the pipette I transfer the mixture to the colourcup on my AB, Badger 200NH, and airbrush at 12-15 psi.

I only lay down thin coats of paint until I am happy with the result.

Cheers

Den

Hi Karl,

Just to echo the others--problems with Colourcoats usually have to do with insufficient mixing. Our pigments are custom-ground extremely fine for a smooth finish. The downside of this is that when they settle out of suspension, it takes a LOT of mixing. I routinely use a mechanical paint shaker for about 5 minutes, then stir for about a minute, and another minute on the shaker. I've never had an application problem. Just as a note--I do that with all enamels, not just our Colourcoats.

Hi Karl,

Just to echo the others--problems with Colourcoats usually have to do with insufficient mixing. Our pigments are custom-ground extremely fine for a smooth finish. The downside of this is that when they settle out of suspension, it takes a LOT of mixing. I routinely use a mechanical paint shaker for about 5 minutes, then stir for about a minute, and another minute on the shaker. I've never had an application problem. Just as a note--I do that with all enamels, not just our Colourcoats.

Hmmm...OK, looks like I will be investing in an electric paint mixer.

Any thinning tips? I usually like to thin my enamels with a mix of mineral spirits and lacquer thinner. Is that OK for WEM paints?

That thinner mix should work just fine. Personally, I use lacquer thinner.

Thanks for the additional advice John!

I've always been a little reluctant to try straight lacquer thinner, but I'll give it a try.