New 2011 Dodge Charger

Fellow car fanatics...

Not much for other photos out there yet, but Dodge is doing a nice re-vamp on the current Charger. The fascia is changed a bit... the grille extends out a bit more and the head-lights are smaller. The side panels have changed and the break-light treatment is reminiscent of the older Chargers. On some other sites there is also apparently a new hood with rear-facing air-extractors possibly. Here's an apparent "leaked" video at this site:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/07/video-2...-car-leaks-out/

Can't wait until Dodge finally starts releasing official photos so we can get better looks at it. My previous company car was one of the newer Chargers and other than the anemic V-6 in it, it was a decent car. If I were going to buy one for my family, it would definitely be one of these newer ones with a V-8! Would be interesting to see one of these in that sublime green! :whistle:

Hey J.C. ...

I've been following the news on the new Charger over at Allpar ...

>>> Clicky <<<

My brother is already considering trading in his 06 Charger R/T Daytona for an 2011 model and since he works for a family of Car Dealerships that includes a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep store it'll be tough for him not to since he'll be around them ...

I like the looks so far of what I've seen anyway ...

Gregg

Thanks for the link Gregg!

At least the U.S. auto industry finally seems to be getting back to doing actual original design work on cars instead of just churning out more boring looking econo-boxes. Hasn't been many cars in recent years that I would want to own, but finally we're getting some variety again.

Glad to see they're doing away with the rams head on the cars. Always thought that looked stupid on anything but the trucks.

Looks pretty good. I'm a BIG fan of the Police Intercepters. The sheriff dept is still Crown Vic-heavy, but they have two marked Chargers, and they are pretty cool looking with the grille guard and low-profile light bar. The State Patrol has several of them...all un-marked...that patrol I-5 and I-90 a lot. I'm pretty much determined not to join a dept unless they have Chargers. :whistle:

One of my Deputy friends actually said the Chargers were not standing up to punishment as much as the Crown Vics, but since they are still a relatively new design (as far as Interceptors go) hopefully they will be able to work out any kinks and we'll see more on the road. I'm also a big fan of the new E7 that is supposed to be vying for the Crown Vic's spot.

Aaron

Thanks for the link Gregg!

At least the U.S. auto industry finally seems to be getting back to doing actual original design work on cars instead of just churning out more boring looking econo-boxes. Hasn't been many cars in recent years that I would want to own, but finally we're getting some variety again.

Glad to see they're doing away with the rams head on the cars. Always thought that looked stupid on anything but the trucks.

Your Welcome ... It's a great site for all things, MOPAR ... :whistle:

Yeah, the 'Ram' is now just a part of the truck line ...

RAM Trucks is now it's own division ...

Dodge gets a new logo with the two angled slashes ...

We're going to be seeing an Alfa Romero version of the 300/Charger soon too ...

Also, Viper will be back in 2012 ... with the V10 ! ...

Gregg

First, I really like the new stying changes. Love the tail lights most I think. Front reminds me of the newer Lancer EVO's. Anyways.

One of my Deputy friends actually said the Chargers were not standing up to punishment as much as the Crown Vics, but since they are still a relatively new design (as far as Interceptors go) hopefully they will be able to work out any kinks and we'll see more on the road. I'm also a big fan of the new E7 that is supposed to be vying for the Crown Vic's spot.

Aaron

The 2006/2007 Chargers ate transmissions for breakfast. My Dept started buying Chargers in 2008, and apparently they reprogrammed how the transmission behaves, and we haven't had a single one fail. We have around 40 Chargers, all Hemis except for a single V6 we bought as a trial.

We are finding a couple "weak spots" on them, but that is no different than the Crown Vics. CV's have plenty lol. A couple of our 2008 Chargers had engine cooling fans suddenly shed a blade, which nuked the radiator. That is the worst mechanical thing so far, so my Dept has taken to changing to new fans during 30k mile services, until they figure out the best plan of action with Chrysler. We also have to replace the skid plate A LOT. But, it is a lower car than the CV, and they are actually quite cheap to replace, so it isn't a big deal. Oil change shops sometimes don't put in both the bolts on the skid plate, and that has cost us a couple.

There are electrical gremlins here and there, but 90% of them are because of the electronics installed in the car by the Department's installer. PITA, but not the cars fault.

There are also some differences in the 2008 to 2009. Externally, just tail lamp lenses, but our 2008s have a higher top speed, though less rated horsepower. My 2009 is governed to less than 150mph, and yes I have hit the governor twice, so I knew I wasn't imagining it the first time. We have 2008's that got to 155mph before they ran out of road and had to brake. I do not know if this is a 2009 year model difference, or if I just have an unhappy car. I haven't spoken to anyone else with a 2009 that has "topped it out". Oh, and 150mph is freaking fast, I don't recommend doing it lol. Scares me when I do it.

Overall, they do almost everything better than the CVPI. Hopefully the big price increases the link spoke of wont affect too many Departments purchasing them. They are good cruisers.

Brandon

:cheers:, Hmm. An Alfa Romeo version of the 300C, that would be an interesting one. I wonder if it will have the GM V6 as some Alfas already do or if it will get a Chrysler engine. Brandon, it's been recently reported here that many US PDs are ordering the new Chevrolet Caprice cruiser which is really a Holden Caprice pretty heavily modified for US police work. There are reports here of 70,000 per year which will be a help to both GM-H and GM and all the component companies that supply GM-H, GM and the various PDs.

;),

Ross.

:D, Hmm. An Alfa Romeo version of the 300C, that would be an interesting one. I wonder if it will have the GM V6 as some Alfas already do or if it will get a Chrysler engine. Brandon, it's been recently reported here that many US PDs are ordering the new Chevrolet Caprice cruiser which is really a Holden Caprice pretty heavily modified for US police work. There are reports here of 70,000 per year which will be a help to both GM-H and GM and all the component companies that supply GM-H, GM and the various PDs.

:jaw-dropping:,

Ross.

Hey Ross ... :trolls:

The Alfa Romero LX car will be Chrysler powered, just like the Chrysler and Dodge siblings ...

Gregg

I have seen some OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) Chargers on our highways and do they ever look slick especially in the Black and white colours the OPP uses now.

Mark

I havent seen the black and white Chargers yet, I seen a few back with the old white colors. I have seen a few Durham Regional Police Chargers. I still dont like the Chargers, looks like a Chrysler 300 with a Charger style over the the rear wheel well.

I would rather see a Charger Interceptor than a Ford Taurus Interceptor :wave:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110031225084/a...ce-car-revealed

I wish they'd go back to the traditional body style. The new Dodge Challenger looks more like a Charger than the Charger does.

When designing the 06 Charger, the designers purposely avoided doing a 'Retro' car, they took hints from classic Chargers of the past like the roof line and rear window treatments but with so many retro cars coming out at that time, they felt it was better to do a 'from scratch' start with kicking off the moniker again ... A lot of people missed the round tail lights inside the lens housings, a nod to the 68 Charger ...

As you can see, with the 2011 model, they are adding more cues from the classic Chargers ...

The Challenger, from the outset was meant to be a full blown Retro Car ...

Gregg

I still love my 06 Charger R/T! The new one looks ok but I think I will be adding an SRT-8 Challenger to the family before I buy another Charger. The ONE thing I like about my Charger is that I can fit 5 people in it, it looks good and is fast enough for what it is. I LOVE all the Mustang and Camaro guys who want to race me knowing I won't win. Well duh, my car is about 900lbs heavier! It still holds its own with the cold air box and computer chip override.

I saw a Callanger patrol car a few weeks ago. It was with the Yakima Tribal Police. It looked cool, but to tell you the truth, seemed kind of pointless as a patrol car. You'd have cuff your suspect and either put him up front with you or call another patrol car to come and get him. It'd be awefully hard to try and get a cuffed perp in the back seat of one of those things I would imagine.

Aaron