1/72 VC-10 Refueler from Anigrand

Just thought I'd share this.

I'm not holding my breath. I have been fairly disappointed with their work in terms of shape issues.

The plus is that it's 1/72. (~26in long and ~24in wingspan)

but it's expensive ($173) and will probably have shape issues as well.

No word on if you can make it a BOAC airliner or not.

Anigrand VC-10

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

I wrote to Anigrand asking if they had close up photos of the KC-10 parts, other than the puttied-sanded-primed-part photos they post on their website, which drive you to the conclusion the parts come out THAT nice.

I had no answer, should I be surprised ;-)?

I am also eagerly awaiting a fair review because crap kit or beauty kit, the KC-10/DC-10/VC-10 are beautiful birds, especially the later. I hoped Airfix would release the VC-10 in plastic, would have proved incredibly popular in the UK!

I have been building the anigrand KC-10 for about a month now and overall Im impressed with fit, quality and accuracy. Now this is my only anigrand kit but it seems to be slightly better in terms of quality than other previous releases. It does have a ton of bubble holes wich are a major pain but overall the parts are molded very well. The thing is massive so overall I think its about what I was expecting. Main thing is that the fuselage quarters and wings actually fit very well and even their pins matched up! A few complaints though, the windscreen does not match up very well at all, the bubbles and they seem to have overdone some of the ribbing on the nose and down the fuselage, as it stands out to much.

• 4 months later...
I have been building the anigrand KC-10 for about a month now and overall Im impressed with fit, quality and accuracy.

Absolutely *no* personal slight intended here, but you can't make that last statement if you're really up to speed on the KC-10. The Anigrand kit is *not* a KC-10, it's a Frankenstein mish-mash of various DC-10 variants.

It's just another case of Anigrand not doing his homework (the rule rather than the exception, sadly).

J

Absolutely *no* personal slight intended here, but you can't make that last statement if you're really up to speed on the KC-10. The Anigrand kit is *not* a KC-10, it's a Frankenstein mish-mash of various DC-10 variants.

It's just another case of Anigrand not doing his homework (the rule rather than the exception, sadly).

I was about to ask that---a true KC-10 is the basically the same as a very late DC-10-30 with all the fairings and fillets etc. But I've yet to see a "KC-10" kit that really is. They're more like early -30's with a boom, if that. Hasegawa came closest.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Kit is up on the Anigrand website.

I will leave definitive comment on accuracy to anyone who buys one, but having crawled extensively over the regular VC10 at Brooklands, that main gear does not seem to capture the distinctive rearward slope of the original.

HowardM

regular VC10 at Brooklands

Lol when that arrived we travelled down from brize to add a chemical treatment for them and gave them a set of covers............ took a sherpa van around the bit of track with us all hanging on for dear life., i signed my name on the underside of the horizontal stab as i only had a few weeks left in the RAF at the time :)

quick look cant see refuelling panels etc under wing, description mentions camo not used operationally which is bollox

Edited by TonyT
I was about to ask that---a true KC-10 is the basically the same as a very late DC-10-30 with all the fairings and fillets etc. But I've yet to see a "KC-10" kit that really is. They're more like early -30's with a boom, if that. Hasegawa came closest.

You are right !

And I like it :

USAFKC-10-2JPG.jpg

USAFKC-10.jpg

Yummy ! Certainly way better than the Magna atrocity !

Poor poor poor bank account :

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2096_VC-10.htm

http://www.anigrand.com/images/items/AA209...VC-10_parts.gif

After having received their 1:72 Galaxy and KC-10 (which I'm pleased with, although still not 100% accurate), I don't see no reason to ignore this one. What a beautiful bird, undoubtedly the nicest flying thing I've seen.

Steven

Yummy ! Certainly way better than the Magna atrocity !

Poor poor poor bank account :

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2096_VC-10.htm

http://www.anigrand.com/images/items/AA209...VC-10_parts.gif

After having received their 1:72 Galaxy and KC-10 (which I'm pleased with, although still not 100% accurate), I don't see no reason to ignore this one. What a beautiful bird, undoubtedly the nicest flying thing I've seen.

Steven

I would wait for a review as you might be wasting your money on a kit that might be very inaccurate just like their c17, as with some people who have had their fingers burnt on an expensive kit that will sit in their loft

VC-10 is a beautiful and elegant plane but 1/72 is too large,it´s a shame because it´ll look perfect beside my (future) KC-135A.Now that Ani is releasing big birds with dual roles,civilian and military,I´ll throw to the wind my own suggestion,what abot an IL-76 family???.I mean,Mainstay (well,a Beriev cousin),Midas and airliner.

I.Martin

what abot an IL-76 family???.I mean,Mainstay (well,a Beriev cousin),Midas and airliner.

I.Martin

Amodel already do an Il-76....

il-76_49.jpg

... and an A-50....

a-50%20002.jpg

... they've also re-issued it as an A-60 Airborne Laser version

I doubt that Anigrand would make it any better (or accurate) - and certainly not any cheaper.

Ken

Amodel already do an Il-76....

... and an A-50....

... they've also re-issued it as an A-60 Airborne Laser version

I doubt that Anigrand would make it any better (or accurate) - and certainly not any cheaper.

Ken

Woow Ken,thank you very much for the info!!.I´ve got the Trumpeter´s A-50 at 1/144 scale and it looks fine,but Amodel´s one is GREAT!!!

I´m going to tell you a story about my love-hate relationship with Amodel.We have to go back in time,2006 exactly.A modeler friend purchased the Amodel An-22 and I take a look at it when he received the kit.God!!,it was a huge mixture of resin and fiberglass parts.I thought that that kit was for real modelers and have to be experimented one to finish it properly.One year later,and after telling me that he had used all his modeling skills (that are a lot) while sweating badly,he finally accomplished one of the most big and beautiful planes I´ve ever seen before!!.So after that,I didn´t pay any attention to Amodel because of my first impression when saw the An-22,not to possitive.But now that you have posted those kits,I must admit I was totally wrong!!.Those planes are very nice (the price too!!) and now I must consider this option too.Here some pics of my friend´s Antei in a model contest

to7x.jpg

imgp0364r.jpg

Thanks.

I.Martin

• 3 months later...

Just purchased the Anigrand 1/72 VC-10. I know it will have issues...but my plan is to make it a BOAC jetliner which will mean filling in the windows and making a decal that reproduces them. After 6-8 weeks (delivery time from PRC), I will have photos. I broke the bank buying it but it will eventually be displayed next to my 1/72 Comet and Concorde. All of these aircraft are/were notable for the fact that they were produced at all, meeting some interesting hurdles and overcoming many. The most successful of the three would definitely be the VC-10 and Super VC-10. I wonder if I got two Anigrand kits, if I could make the Super....hmmmmm (No...stoppit.....wake up.....you're having a flashback!)

But it will get photographed and compared to whatever drawings I can find for accuracy, noting that drawings themselves can often be wrong...but there are lots of photos on airliners.net so comparing shouldn't be that hard. The shots that Anigrand provides on their website shows that overall dimensions appear to be close...at least shape-wise, though the nose appears a tad too pointy, the wing roots and thus the airfoil section seems entirely off, which I'll just have to put up with, but it's very close.

I do wonder if Arnold ever pores over photos and drawings at all. There is a knack for producing miniatures to exacting standards and for the litmus test, I refer anyone and everyone to Pete Fleischmann's 1/16 T-38 on LSP. Even if Arnold at Anigrand took just the least amount of time and investment in the proper equipment to scale things, his kits would be not just nice, but exemplary. I'm sure he's made enough money to reinvest some of it into his business.

Granted, he produces kits that other manufacturers ignore. The 1/72 C-141's are an excellent example. The Jetstar is another, though I'm having a b***ch of a time fixing that with the tailcone being wrong and other things. Fortunately, the things that are hard to fix like wingspan and diameter of the fuselage are OK...as are some of the details but it would be nicer to have a kit where none of those things are wrong to begin with.

But, hey, even Airfix's Concorde has a disaster for a nose on that bird. Every time I break out that kit, I almost cry for the scratchbuilding I'll have to do to fix it. Everything from the hingeline to the size of the visor is wrong. So, I guess I can live with some goofs from Anigrand...but at $173 with shipping...I'm a little put off and had I a smaller budget, I wouldn't even consider buying it.

$350+ for the C-5 is also kind of hard to swallow....but...it's what? A 41" monstor! Overall, it's quite close to the real machine in terms of outline but I don't see a lot of them popping up at shows. One would have to have 1) the money to buy it 2) the space to display it and 3)a strong desire to have it, let alone the first two so...it's definitely a love affair with that model. I think it's cool and would love to see one built up.

Well, that's all I have to say about that.

I'll post piccies of the VC-10 when it appears in the post.

cheers

Fang