Battle of Britain Day.

Today, let us once again remember "The Few", who gave us victory in the Battle of Britain 70 years ago.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so Few".

Robin.

from the Garden of England over which most of the Battle took place.

They did the impossible...out numbered....but still they prevailed.

I still recall the stories when I was little as my Dad told me of the summer of 1940 when he was a a 14 year old school boy in London watching the dog fights in the skies during his summer vacation from school. And the one story of the 2 fighters battling it out with one finally getting the upper hand on the "enemy". My Dad and his friend cheering this Hun was shot down and running to see this enemy pilot up close as he parachuted to the end of their street.........only to discover it was a young Canadian flying for the RAF. That young Canadian pilot was uninjured and I'm sure he was back in the fight later that day or the next.

So when I watch the BOB movie and see the young RAF pilot land in the greenhouse and the young boy brings him a cigarette.......that scene reminds me very much of my own Dad as the young boy and the unknown Canadian pilot. Oddly enough.....that was the first time my Dad met a Canadian and 9 years later he would be moving to Canada to start a new life.

Let us brace ourselves to our duties and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say,"This was their finest hour."... Winston Churchill

:worship:

Mark

:angry:

I just pulled out the DVD and watched it over the weekend. Not because of the date, but because I've been re-watching my old DVDs now that I have a new TV and a Blue Ray player. It may have been made in 1968, but that movie still looks fantastic..especially in HD!

SN

Edited by Steve N

I kind of celebrated by working on a model. At the local club meeting (we will have a BoB model contest at next month's meeting) I pulled out a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk 1A and started working on it. I got a fair amount of the construction done by the end of the meeting. I blame it on James May's Toy Stories Spitfire episode for getting me in the mood to just whip one out and do one.

I'd been hearing about that show, but wasn't sure what everyone was talking about until we watched it during our model club meeting last week..and laughed our butts off! I especially loved that he attached the full-size parts to PVC pipe "sprues."

May said he always fantasized about enlarging his kits to 1/1 scale..I was always the opposite, imagining what it would be like to shrink myself down to 1/72.

SN