Hey everyone, I'm not asking what is the best putty to use. What I am looking for is how to use Squadron white putty to fill seems. I have tried and i'm not satisfied with my technique. It seems to dry before its out of the tube. I tried to thin it with mineral spirits and alcohol and it didnt work. So if you guys could help me with this it would greatly appreciated! Also does anyone have any techniques to replacing raised screw fasteners after they hace been sanded off with the putty??

Thanks!

Erich

That's not a very good putty.....it's not your technique.

Buy yourself a tube of automotive finishing filler. It's laquar based.....stiis great ttplastic and it can be sanded so thin it is see thru. It also resist shrinking. You can buy it at automotive supply shop to sells supplies to bidy shops. Please understand this is called automotive Glazing putty.......it is NOT the 2 part automotive filler (AKA Bondo). Glazing putty comes pre-mixed in a tube.

Is this the 3M Acryl Blue stuff i've heard about? I guess i'd better get off my butt and go get some!

Yup...that's the stuff.....and if you leave the cap off.....just put a few drops off laquar thinner in the tube.....put the cap on and it will be a good as new. I'm still using he same tube I bought in 1979. It comes in different colors and is made by different companies. Mine is a primer color (rusty brown).

Is there anything the white putty is good for other than seem filing? I lost the receipt... :monkeydance:

Christmas is coming up.....re-gift it to someone in your local modelling club you don't like. :rofl:

• 7 months later...

Tamiya White putty is brillo stuff. Just started using it and it's perfect for hairline scratches/seams as it's thinner and smoother then Tamiay Basic type. Haven't tried scribing on it yet though so that'll be my next trial. Brillo for those tiny seams though.

I used to have crappy results with Squadron white putty too. Then I found out Squadron white putty is cut with acetone. It made a huge difference in how it performs, it's not the best but way better than before. Acetone is the same as nail polish remover, just in case you didn't know. It makes it workable at least.

As far as the raised screw/ rivets go, model railroaders use these raised rivet decals. They come in different scales, and I think they're used just like regular decals.

Edited by Expat Tomcat

I use tamiya grey putty, works pretty well except for the slight shrinkage when dried.

Anyway what do u guys do when the putty in the tube starts to dry out?

I cut my Squadron green putty with acetone as well. I use it only for the bulk of a fill then use either tamiya white or Mr Surfacer 500 as the glazing finish.

I need to try The 3M Acryl Blue like they described earlier. Also want to try the Tamiya Grey (assuming it is thicker than the white)

I have always wondered who really uses the Squadron white? and for what??

I buy stuff from Squadron, but I have never had much luck with their Squadron white putty. Like you said, it dries almost as soon as it comes out of the tube. I have even tried the acetone thinning process, and I got it to work a little better. Because there are so many other products out there that work so much better, I have given up on the Squadron white putty. The last tube I had, I even screwed a couple of layers of Saran Wrap over the opening to seal things up. I let it set for a month. I opened it up and the putty was almost dried solid. That was my last tube.

I'm old school when it comes to putty, Milliput for me, standard for big holes, superfine for seams et al.

I might try some of the glazing putty if I can find it, Halford will probably have something similar.

PVA is also pretty good for filling smallish gaps, although it shrinks a little so may need topping up, you can smooth it completely smooth with a damp cotton bud and no sanding required :thumbsup:

Ive cut Squadron Putty w/ an old bottle of Tenax glue, and it works really great, thins it out a fair bit, and makes it a lot easier to use. Just have to be careful to not put too much Tenax into it, or it eats the plastic.

I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure this is what I use. Bondo Glazing and Spot putty. Works much better than Squadron putty and is very cheap. Just my $.02 worth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JM8PY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000QU1AKS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1M9J2RJSEGXSSBDD9E10

Edited by cook7997

I use tamiya grey putty, works pretty well except for the slight shrinkage when dried.

Anyway what do u guys do when the putty in the tube starts to dry out?

I have a bottle of Tamiya Lacquer Thinner which works. If it's hard you might have to soak it a bit but it'll eventually disolve. Great thing about Tamiya lacquer thinner is that it's not caustic like industrial so won't destroy your models. Still stinks the same though.