Colour of Hurricane Hood

Hello all,

Been in a bit of a discussion with someone over the colour of the hood in the cockpit. Interior green, or flat black. I've found numberous examples of Mk.I's with the hood being interior green, and very few being black. The ones that I did find that were black were on restored aircraft for the most part.

Can anyone confirm for me what I've found, or what I believe to have found, that the hoods on the Mk.I's were interior green on both top and bottom.

Cheers,

Mark.

Do you mean inside and out? The exterior colour would be the camouflage colour. I've always done the interior in cockpit grey/green. I think black came later on some Hawker aircraft but I've no idea where I heard/read that!

Steve

Do you mean inside and out? The exterior colour would be the camouflage colour. I've always done the interior in cockpit grey/green. I think black came later on some Hawker aircraft but I've no idea where I heard/read that!

Steve

Steve, meant the inside. I have seen some later Hurricanes with the black, or at least something darker (hard to tell in B&W shots what the colour was exactly), but with the Mk.I's, it's definitely consistantly green.

I think your hypothesis is correct Mark. I have only seen black inside widscreens of restored planes, not the canopy. Same with Spits. Why change colour on a wartime production line? Green is my hunch.

Green it will be... or rather... green it already is.

Cheers, and thanks!

Mark.