1/48 Hasegawa F-4E - Finished!

Wow,

I look away for a few days and come back to find that it's nearly done. Nice progress Dan, i'm still working on the cockpit of mine.

Pete

Pete

I learned about the "Quality Triangle" from a project manager I worked with. The three sides (schedule, cost, and quality) are irrevocably related. For my model building, cost is minimal (my labour hours), and schedule is short (fast build), because I freely compromise quality all the time! :huh:

I can only imagine how some of these would turn out if I had more patience and attention to detail.

When things progress so fast, I just get on a roll, and before I know it the job is done. End result - lots of finished builds, of quality that is acceptable to me, which is the only criterion that matters. I am conscious of a large number of kits in my stash, lots of GBs to participate in, and limited time for modeling.

Thanks for looking in - decalling will start tonight or tomorrow.

ALF

Great look of realism with the foil around the exhaust area sir. I usually just paint that area titanium / magnesium / jet exhaust and find it acceptable. Your work is very convincing. I like it.

Look forward to the finished product. Keep it up, buddy.

Mike

Decalling is well underway. There sure are a lot of markings on this beast. Here it is just after finally glueing the horizontal stabs in place. One drawback of foiling and painting separately is that it is harder to get the glue to stick. I have set it up vertically to allow it to set for a while.

P1080928.jpg

I am thinking of leaving it looking quite clean. This being the commander's jet, and a USAF one to boot, it would have been quite spick and span. It also makes it easier to finish the job... :banana:

P1080929.jpg

The exhaust area looks nice to me. It's pretty easy to do on the F-4 - just splooge it with blackish paint, and it looks like the smoky beasts all did.

P1080931.jpg

I've hand-painted the canopies, and will be adding Tamiya tape to the insides, to reproduce the cream-coloured linings that F-4s, F-101s, and some other aircraft had.

More later - thanks for looking!

ALF

Most decals on now. A second coat of Future has been applied.

P1080932.jpg

P1080933.jpg

And now time for the dull coat (Testors spray can).

P1080934.jpg

I added a captive AIM 9 training missile (inert, but active seeker head). I used a blue magic marker to make the inert markings, and didn't use the kit-provided black and yellow live markings.

P1080936.jpg

ALF

I've glued in the seats, and then the canopies. The rear one could be propped up with a toothpick while drying.

P1080937.jpg

I used super glue on the front canopy, which worked really well. Should have done that with the rear canopy.

P1080980.jpg

It's coming along. Still have the pitot boom to go.

ALF

Looks real good Alf

pretty quick build with great results

Cheers

Neo

Thanks Neo

Mine are almost always quick - but hopefully always satisfying!

ALF

Nothing to sneeze at there at all ALF. She turned out very well and is quite appealing to the eye.

Good job.

Mike

p.s. - what are you going to build now before the start of the On Canadian Wings GB!?

Nothing to sneeze at there at all ALF. She turned out very well and is quite appealing to the eye.

Good job.

Mike

p.s. - what are you going to build now before the start of the On Canadian Wings GB!?

Mike

I don't know!!!!!

Ever had that feeling where you look at your stash and just can't figure out what's next? Every time one calls out to be built, I realize it's a candidate for the On Canadian Wings GB.

I'm thinking now of maybe a 1/32 Stuka (Revell), or maybe an A-10 in 1/48 (Monogram).

But I sooooo want to crack open my big T-Bird, or my 1/32 F-5E with the Belcher Bits conversion to a CF-5A, or my CF-100, or my Pinocchio, or...

Darn it! Maybe it'll be the Stuka. I'm going to Montreal in a couple weeks, with a plan to stop in quickly to Udisco, so if I discover I'm shy of a paint colour or two that will be the time to replenish.

How about you? What's next?

ALF

Mike

I don't know!!!!!

Ever had that feeling where you look at your stash and just can't figure out what's next? Every time one calls out to be built, I realize it's a candidate for the On Canadian Wings GB.

I'm thinking now of maybe a 1/32 Stuka (Revell), or maybe an A-10 in 1/48 (Monogram).

But I sooooo want to crack open my big T-Bird, or my 1/32 F-5E with the Belcher Bits conversion to a CF-5A, or my CF-100, or my Pinocchio, or...

Darn it! Maybe it'll be the Stuka. I'm going to Montreal in a couple weeks, with a plan to stop in quickly to Udisco, so if I discover I'm shy of a paint colour or two that will be the time to replenish.

How about you? What's next?

ALF

ALF,

Isn't it great! When I look in my closet it's as if I'm in a hobby shop...sort of. It is a bit perplexing to decide what to tackle next when there are so many choices.

Keep your hands off that T-33! December will be here before you know it. That can be good or bad depending on your perspective, I guess.

As for me, I'm building...wait for it....another 1/48 Sabre. This one will be marked as a 430 Sqn aircraft with the diagonal blue / white tail markings with the Silver Falcon in the middle on the green / grey over PRU blue scheme. I have some assembly done. Painted most of the cockpit last night. Will do some cockpit assembly his afternoon.

Enjoy your Stuka...or A-10...or whatever...

Mike

• 1 month later...
Phantastic Phantom! Markings look sharp and clean finish gets a big :rolleyes:

Thanks man!

I love USAF jets for that - you usually can't go wrong making them look relatively pristine, unless they've been working hard in an active theatre.

Appreciate you stopping by.

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

Phabulous Phantom, ALF ! :cheers:

One of my favorite paint schemes to grace an F-4E ... :woot.gif:

I was fortunate enough to see this jet in this scheme still in 1990 ... :cheers:

Great Job and thanks for the memories ...

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...
Phabulous Phantom, ALF ! :worship:

One of my favorite paint schemes to grace an F-4E ... :whistle:

I was fortunate enough to see this jet in this scheme still in 1990 ... :woo:

Great Job and thanks for the memories ...

Gregg

Gregg

Thanks for the comments. When I saw this scheme in the box, I snapped it up right away - no hesitation. Never saw this particular jet in person, but saw some other really well-done schemes as this grand old lady neared its retirement everywhere.

ALF