AviationArt - Profiles-

I've started this topic because many people is curious about this and to prove that you don;t need any artistic skill to do them

for example I don't have any artistic skill

if you give me a picture with a horse I can't reproduce it - there is a scientific explaination for this in pshichology (is something related with representations)

but if you give me an engine I can reproduce every screw and bolt

so let's start

The first step is gathering the documentation

- aircraft plans - compare them

- pictures - as many as you can find - I preffer walk arounds -

- other docs as text or movies - study them - find different variances of the same aircraft, modifications etc......

with all that - from my experience untill now - I recomand to make your own plans using the old ones but also pictures

all aircraft plans are in someway wrong

For example as side view you can use a picture like this

0954471.jpg

the important thing is that the picture must be taken as far as possible

and with some AUTOCAD tuch you can get this

51911532.jpg

Edited by setal

and finally my own plan

plansfz.jpg

As you can observe there are some red lines

Those ones are very important when moving into 3d - they help me allingning the side view, top view and fuselaje frames

Another thing I forgot to mention at the begining is that this is not a tutorial about using autocad, phothoshop or any 3d software but it show the steps I'm using to make aviation profiles and art

For that there are many tutorials and books on internet you can study.....but it takes time......months......years......

Hello Setal

I read this twice over and it is fascinating as to how it is done, can be done and how it can be prefected...

you have a good way of telling US how this is done and it is not too boring or mind boggling to read your thread on this...

Show more I for ONE will be back to see what and how you go from there although I dont do it at home but

its nice to see how you make your "art" come alive...

thank you for all your efforts..

HOLMES :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

I.m back with few more things

After you have enough pictures like those above mentioned and some nice and decent plans we can move to 3D

now I've separated the plans like below

you can observe tose thin red lines (axes) they help aligning in 3D

stanga.jpg

susb.jpg

67517635.jpg

78699897.jpg

11502048.jpg

35945385.jpg

83486107.jpg

13034595.jpg

Now.....when moving to 3D first step is to set up your scene with the plans integrated in it (no bother about the scale now)

I do this by creating simple rectangles (with the exact same proportions like images mentioned above ) and aplay materials and using as textures the pictures above mentioned and will result this

iar991.jpg

iar99.jpg

iar992.jpg

iar993.jpg

Edited by setal

Very interesting - I've dabbled a bit with Blender freeware for 3D models and am wondering if it's possible to set up the plans scene in that software as you have here . Must give it a go sometime soon.

In Blender you tend to work with the three views in separate windows plus a combined viewing window . Not as awkward as it sounds but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a "box" kind of setup as you have created above.

Looking forward to your next postings.

• 2 weeks later...