Zvezda 1:72 Sukhoi T-50

I haven't taken time to deeply compare RM to pictures, but it looks to me that the spine after cockpit is a bit too narrow.

I would say that I prefer the original version. The new version widens the spine as it should, but starting from the middle of it which looks just awful. Fortunately, it's 1/72 and the 1/48 version shows much more promise :cop:

The intakes don't look right at all on the 1:144 kit, and the lower fuselage profile seems off. Overall it looks decent, however. The aforementioned faults would be easier to correct in 1:144 than in 1:72.

Or easier to ignore. :coolio:

I agree with you,

It looks like they did the job too quickly (or too early... probably at the same time as the Russian resin kit). The back does not blend with the engine fairings, again, and i really don't understand what they did with the front fuselage (nose), given the number of pictures available out there.

Also, if their model was designed with CAD, it would have been easy to correct all those mistakes as better pictures became available..

That seem to indicate that they designed this model very early on, and by the time they had cut steel, or copper, it was too late to make changes... (well... they still could have made those changes, and i would have made them if i was them, with new inserts, as there was plenty of time to make those changes since the best pictures became available). They missed a great chance while trying to rush to be first on the market.

I have some surprises in store. 1-72nd or 1-48th surprises.. More details to come later on.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models.

Hello!

First impression - Good but not great model for this money. First of all - some mistakes on top fuselage, bad wheels, shagreen on plastic.

Best regards, Andrew SilverGhost

Edited by Stratospheremodels
please make a 1/32 surprise...

Rafael

I wish we could, but we have to start with something we can afford first. We are talking metal tooling and many large size sprues for 1-48th scale. In fact, i started by thinking about 1-48th scale, got the prices for of what it was going cost for 'standard molds' made overseas (i doubt they would be able to pull it off given the complexity and the language barrier and distance)(and even when using my tooling), and with me being very allergic to the possibility of the model cloning itself while far away from my eyes, i already had another technical solution to propose where the molds would be made here in North America, very efficiently and for a low cost (very important point for a first injected kit, and a big one at that). But i am a bit worried about the cost for a 1-48th scale injection run and all associated costs, so, it is entirely possible i will do the 1-72nd kit first (and research if very well, no problem on that side since i already have too much documentation), so next step and most important part will be the execution, i am already learning CAD since a while back. I will post more details soon, but it might be time i stop procrastinating (working on too many things at the same time) and concentrate on the one thing i was supposed to do at first. I must apologize because it took me a while to get a proper computer to do start to work on this job (i did not wanted to do this cheaply, so after a lot of research, i got a high end professional workstation especially dedicated to CAD, with not a low end, not a mid-range, but a high-end graphic card with open GL for CAD. So far it works like a charm and i have built something like 7 or 8 test models over something like 2 weeks. I will post more details soon on my website.

Stephane.

Stratosphere Models.

Very interesting Stephane. Looking forward to future CAD models. Could you tell what how will yours technology process work? From cad and directly into milling machine? (as Eduard is doing for first time with theirs 1/48 MiG-21). Or will the process be morel like Trumpeters?

Very interesting Stephane. Looking forward to future CAD models. Could you tell what how will yours technology process work? From cad and directly into milling machine? (as Eduard is doing for first time with theirs 1/48 MiG-21). Or will the process be morel like Trumpeters?

Hi Berkut ! Thank you ! I don't know actually what process Trumpeteer is using for their molds, i would think they are most likely using CNC steel molds and some electro-erosion, depending on the needs and parts, given that they are doing mass production. All i can say about mine is that they will be made via rapid prototypinig and that the tooling will be made by me (by tooling i do not mean just the CAD drawings, i also mean what will be needed to make the actual molds). I have always liked to do my kits by myself, it is a bit of a trademark for me, i have never outsourced any of them, though it is not sure yet if i will sub-contract part of the mold making process (could be, if i find someone who is responsive enough and serious enough about the project to treat it with the appropriate great care needed), or i will do everything myself with some other people helping me with the process, but still under my supervision, because i know what i want and how to make those molds but they are not necessarily familiar with the process. Based on my own experience here, i have found out that nobody knows about this kind of work or the way to do things very quickly, efficiently and for a low cost, it is either astronomic prizes for steel molds (plus they have no experience with very detailled small things like injected airplane kits) or some that deal mostly with large industrial companies, thus, small companies are a low priority. That's partly why i think i will do it myself (the molds, not the injection), because i know how and it will save me lots of trouble having to deal with an outside source that may not be used to this type of more precise work or who might take too long to make my molds (or damage them in the process or transport). I always like the comfort of having things close to my hands, like that, no need to worry about things. And ultimately you have control over quality. And if it does not work the first shot, you analyze everything and you do it right the next time. Pretty much like i did for my previous injection test molds, from which i learned a lot and which were done successfully, albeit with a different technology.

(Several European injected kit manufacturers use the same technology i will use for my molds, minus the CAD part).

Stephane.

Stratosphere Models.

• 2 weeks later...
... or new Su-17/22s (I'm fed up struggling with the existing kits)... I'd love a MiG-29SMT in particular.
I'm with you on the new Su-17/22. 1/72 for me. The Italeri/Bilek offering is okay but needs some work. Don't even get me started on the KP/Pantera/Smer etc. kit.

While we're at it, maybe a new mold Su-7/9/11 family. KP is it on the Su-7 and the A-Model Su-9/11 is a work in progress, but difficult so far.

As for the T-50 kit, I will be adding this to the stash, even if it has gotten some not so great comments thus far (shape issues mostly).

i was thinking the zvezda spine could be corrected easily by the manufacturer if they wanted, since its a single piece, and just needs reshaping
Did I read somewhere that the intakes have a shape issue as well?

Jason, actually the biggest issues are intakes and cockpit/canopy. Cockpit/canopy is almost twice (!!!) as large as they should be.

Very nice work as usual Andrey! I have one kit waiting for me at home, so i will buy these decals to "complete it". :monkeydance: The kit is still a dog/drova sadly. :sunrevolves:

@Berkut

You are wrong about canopy. It is a bit wider and have a small shape problem, but this is the effect of a wider fuselage in that part. But it's exaggeration to say "almost twice".Or you want to say that Zvezda actually managed to incorporate 1/48 scale canopy in 1/72 scale model???? And this is the only one and a half bigger! ;) :rolleyes:

Edited by bungynik
  • 1 month later...
If somebody have something more about this decal sheet, please post the link or info!

I have that set

Begemot modernised its technology,no yellowing, decal is gloss and hi quality print.