Boneyard Shots

Not sure if this topic will be of interest but I took these shots at Bangor (ME) International Airport. At a remote side of the airport, they are scrapping a bunch of commuter aircraft. Sorry for the crappy pictures, it was a pretty gloomy day, which kind of suites the scene of all these aircraft waiting patiently to be broken up.

ATR-42, no idea what airline

IMG_2599.jpg

Cocooned Canadair RJ?

IMG_2600.jpg

A couple of SAABs

IMG_2601.jpg

Not related at all but while I was there, this DC-10 was bringing a bunch of Marines back from the Mid-East. Back in the Vietnam days, this would have been called the "Freedom Bird". Bangor is a major refueling point for these flights. Any time of the day or night that a charter comes in with troops, a bunch of locals makes a point of turning out and wishing them good luck or welcome home. They haven't missed a flight yet.

IMG_2598.jpg

Bangor gets some pretty interesting traffic, being the closest major US airport to Europe. Last time I was there, John Travolta's 707 was parked on the ramp.

Regards,

John

Until earlier this year, this trio of MiG-21s sat on a section of tarmac on what remains of Brno's old airport.

I don't know who they belonged to, but they looked like someone was minding them to some degree. However, earlier this year all three disappeared. I have no idea where they went, but I do hope they went to good hands and not to a scrapper somewhere.

2008_0812slatinajets0001.jpg

asmara:

33c1xs3.jpg

I don't know where Asmara is, but....in this one I think I'm looking at the remains of an F-5 and a C-119 "Boxcar", A Fishbed, Hind, some Sukhoi's, and possibly some T-33's among other stuff.

Edited by Angels49
I don't know where Asmara is, but....in this one I think I'm looking at the remains of an F-5 and a C-119 "Boxcar", A Fishbed, Hind, some Sukhoi's, and possibly some T-33's among other stuff.

I see the T-33s, the F-5, a pair of MiG-21s, a Hind, a pair of MiG-23s and what could be either a C-119 or a Noratlas in amongst that assortment.

P8300192.jpg

P8300191.jpg

Thank God some Tomcats are still around.

Seems premature to retire these birds. When I think of the Navy I recall F-14s because even if F-18s were the latest nothing beats the 'classic' and I'm already missing it.

I wish someone from Collings Foundation save this bird next.

I don't think they can afford it, even if the Navy would part with one. From what I remember reading, the Tom had one of highest cost per flight hour ratios of any modern jet.

I'd rather see them sink the $ into a flyable F-106 if that is even possible at this point, given that most Darts are rusting at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. As a consolation prize, I'd settle for a flyable F-105.

John

Seems premature to retire these birds. When I think of the Navy I recall F-14s because even if F-18s were the latest nothing beats the 'classic' and I'm already missing it.

Well, the Toms are going fast. I was at AMARG this July and less than half of these were still there. I think there were 9 total. (edit: Actually 8)

Toms as of July 2010

DSC_0843.jpg

Here are some F-18s from AMARG - July 2010

DSC_0844.jpg

Edited by IrishGreek
are those F-5F's or T-38's on the right side....plus whos jet are they. I dont recall the U.s ever operating any in those schemes

Not sure I think T-38s, but I'm no expert on those. So here is a closeup and hopefully someone else can nail that down.

AMARGT-38s.jpg