Microscale Kristal Klear vs Elmer's White Glue

Keep the Elmer's!

While MicroScale's Krystal Klear may dry a little less opaque than Elmer's, neither is really "glass clear" and if you are using it to attach a canopy, Elmer's works just fine.

Agreed. I have both Krystal klear and regular white school glue. I can see no appreciable difference between either. Don't waste your money. Go to the dollar store and buy white glue.

I third it. EASY as all heck to use, clean up, very friendly to use and virtually the same end result.

What's more, is that you can combine paints with elmers to get a good colour in them, then dab a thin wire with a tad of thick super glue on them into the coloured glue and POOF! You've got a control lever with a coloured knob on the end... one of the many things you can use Elmer's glue for.

I third it. EASY as all heck to use, clean up, very friendly to use and virtually the same end result.

What's more, is that you can combine paints with elmers to get a good colour in them, then dab a thin wire with a tad of thick super glue on them into the coloured glue and POOF! You've got a control lever with a coloured knob on the end... one of the many things you can use Elmer's glue for.

What a cool idea! I had never thought of that. Thanks for yet another use for Elmer's white glue! :)

I did a small test this night with Microscale Kristal Klear and White Glue (Ponal Weissleim from Germany).

Actually the Klear dried clearer and more glossy then my version of white glue. But there is another bottle of school glue on the table that I might use. So, depending on your available white glue, it could indeed be the same as Kristal Klear.

Cheers

Thorsten

Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue is the way to go since it's crystal clear, strong, and shock resistant. I use canopy glue to attach canopy to my RC planes. Elmers white glue is significantly weaker than your typical canopy glue.

Edited by RichardL
Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue is the way to go since it's crystal clear, strong, and shock resistant. I use canopy glue to attach canopy to my RC planes. Elmers white glue is significantly weaker than your typical canopy glue.

And where does one obtain said Zap formula 560 canopy glue? I am assuming it does not fog canopies either?

For most of us modelers, shock resistence really isnt an issue since we don't plan on crash landing our models and if it should happen, a lot more than a canopy would be in danger.

The biggest advantage good old Elmer's or any generic white PVA glue has is cost. Any of them will attach a canopy firmly enough to withstand normal usage, but still allow for removal with minimal collateral damage should it become necessary. Plus, if (when?) the container hardens before you use it all, you are tossing away a couple of dollars at most instead of the considerably higher price of the Zap stuff.

Edited by Chuck1945

If you live in the U.S. then try finding SIMPLE FIX GLUE PEN, this stuff is extremely strong. I found it at Home Depot, but haven't seen it there in awhile. But it looks like white glue, cleans up with water and dries clear. I have been using it for my canopies and I am telling you....you will need a hammer to remove the canopy after the glue dries, this stuff is just amazing.

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/simple-fix-out...-pen-75100.html

regards,

Robert

And where does one obtain said Zap formula 560 canopy glue? I am assuming it does not fog canopies either?

You can find it from any hobby store that sells RC plane stuff. It's a canopy glue for clear canopies, so no, it does not fog canopies.

Any of them will attach a canopy firmly enough to withstand normal usage, but still allow for removal with minimal collateral damage should it become necessary.

I tried Elmer's glue once. One time I accidentally handled the plane by its canopy and fuselage, and the canopy fell off. When I glue on the canopy, I would expect it to stay on indefinitely.

Edited by RichardL