What's on your workbench?

Since not everyone is able or interested to do a full report about his actual projects, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where you can shortly post what's on your workbench right now. So we all can share what will have a roll out in the near future. Let's see what you've got!

I'm building a slightly modified Puma right now. :thumbsup:

p1070327.jpg

Only some small work to do and I can start painting it.

Edited by ice225
Since not everyone is able or interested to do a full report about his actual projects, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where you can shortly post what's on your workbench right now. So we all can share what will have a roll out in the near future. Let's see what you've got!

I'm building a slightly modified Puma right now. :)

p1070327.jpg

Only some small work to do and I can start painting it.

Hi Ice

Where have you been my friend????

It looks like the Puma they used in one of the Rambo movie (i think 3) to duplicate the Hind.

Nice job so far.

Oliver

Currently on my bench is the ultra-slow build of the Hughes OH-6D, here; http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....82345&st=20

I had actually started another model before I started the OH-6D but I stopped halfway through so that I could hone my skills on the Hughes. It is hopefully going to be a model of our beloved Alouette III that served for 43 years with the Irish Air Corps. The plan is to add as much detail inside and out. With an exposed engine and no internal quilting, literally everything is exposed so it's a detailer's dream (or nightmare). I plan to build it in the colours and configuration of A212 as it carried out the type's last life-saving mission in 2007.

IMG_1595.jpg

As soon as the OH-6D is finished, the Alouette III will go back onto the bench. It will also be joined by this;

IMG_1596.jpg

There might just be a set of decals available soon to allow me to build this MBB BO-105, another iconic helicopter that has served for over 35 years in the lighthouse support role here in Ireland;

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1023089

Here's hoping my ambitious plans come off.

LD.

Great work guys!

Ice, what colour are you going to paint the Puma? Looking good!

That Alouette is going to be something else Liam! Thanks for letting us know! Looking at the Alouette makes me wonder if I can start with the main rotor assy on the 32nd Revell kit and turn it into a Squirrel...................stop now! Awesome work so far.

Great work indeed

Cheers

Anthony

makes me wonder if I can start with the main rotor assy on the 32nd Revell kit and turn it into a Squirrel...................

I think we all know the answer to that is yes!

Anthony, thanks for the kind words on the Alouette. I just know that dealing with the glazing on this kit will be tough going but it will be worth it, I hope.

LD.

Where have you been my friend????

...always here and watching your UH-1 arise. :thumbsup:

It looks like the Puma they used in one of the Rambo movie (i think 3) to duplicate the Hind.

Yes - actually this special Puma was used in Rambo II and (slightly modified) Rambo III. It's such a mean looking machine that I wanted to have it in my display case. I know it's only a machine but it should get the "best villain of all times" award.

There might just be a set of decals available soon to allow me to build this MBB BO-105, another iconic helicopter that has served for over 35 years in the lighthouse support role here in Ireland

I so much would like to lay my hands on that airfix-kit but they are really hard to get and on ebay they reach astronomical levels. Please keep us informed!

Ice, what colour are you going to paint the Puma? Looking good!

I'll do the three tone camo from Rambo III. I like it much better than the splinter version in Part II. Right now I'm figuring out matching colors.

http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/rambo3.html

I so much would like to lay my hands on that airfix-kit but they are really hard to get and on ebay they reach astronomical levels. Please keep us informed!

There is an Airfix BO-105 on ebay at the moment and bidding is starting at $5.53.

Airfix are bound to release this kit again soon as it is such a great little kit.

LD.

I'm just starting an Italeri MH-60G PaveHawk with BigEd metal etch detailing set. Early days at the moment. I'm browsing the ARC forums to research the Pave Hawk before doing too much. As the first steps are the interior (duh!) and there's loads of detail needed including gunner seats to scratch build, armour floor, etc, it's likely to be a while before I feel confident enough to dive in.

This will be my first helo build. Don't want to mess it up!!!

Cheers

Ian

MH60G-3.jpg

MH60G-4.jpg

I'm just starting an Italeri MH-60G PaveHawk with BigEd metal etch detailing set. Early days at the moment. I'm browsing the ARC forums to research the Pave Hawk before doing too much. As the first steps are the interior (duh!) and there's loads of detail needed including gunner seats to scratch build, armour floor, etc, it's likely to be a while before I feel confident enough to dive in.

Please keep us informed - I love that bird!

OH 6 in 1/444.?.... I wanna see photos too.

Oliver

I subscribe that! Pictures urgently needed!

Please keep us informed - I love that bird!

I subscribe that! Pictures urgently needed!

her you go, remark: I just started:

2010_0928md5000002.jpg

2010_0928md5000003.jpg

0010.jpg

0007.jpg

I am thinking to convert the bird into a md500:

Image1.jpg

Bruno

Edited by bru(no)

Hey Gang,

I don't like hearing about what people are working on, I LIKE SEEING IT!!!. Show me the pictures! Impresive!!!

That Puma is coming along very nice. back in the 80's I met a Aerospatiale helicopter mechanic who got to work on one of the Pumas for the Rambo movie. The Pumas belonged to PHI. The pilots flying it said the wings on the Puma made it fly better and smoother.

That 500 is beyond scratch and too small for my taste. It's amazing with what you are doing to it.

My problem is I can't seem to finish a project as I am ping-ponging from one project to the next and always starting a new project. At least I'm focused....Yah...right. :)

Any way, here is another project I'm working on. A 1/30th Bell 222. The body is from the 80's Bell Helicopter desk top models they used to make. The models had no windows or interior. Just paint and decals. I'm cutting out windows and scratch building the windows and complete interior. It will be a VIP version. I am having to make a scratch built rotor head as well. I have many incomplete parts. I have only one model that was preassembled. The others I have are unassembled so they will have interiors. I have scaled drawings and reference photos and info from Bell.

Here the reference work layout

222model.gif

Here's the cut out work.

222cutout1.jpg

Here is the one preassembled body I have. I had to scratch build the rotor, rotor head and assembly as well as other detail to make it a 222B.

222scratch1.jpg

Hope to show more stuff soon

Hope all is well with all

John

Edited by AirMedical

Well, since you asked, I'm working on converting a Hobby-Boss Mi-8MT into an Ulan-Ude built Mi-171. Specifically, I'm building it into one of the Iraqi Air Force birds I saw cruising around southern Iraq.

The pinned Mi-8 thread has been VERY helpful in identifying the many variants of this design, especially the differences between the straight-ramped Mil Ulan-Ude factory aircraft, and the curved ramp of the Kazan built aircraft. Ken "Flankerman" Duffey's Kazan Mi-17 inspired me to attempt an IqAF Mi-171.

So far, on the right side of the fuselage, I've enlarged the cargo door, and replaced the cabin heater on the front of the fuel tank with a resin cast of the back-side of the left side fuel tank. I also cut off, delicately as I could, the Doppler radar unit that hangs under the fuselage behind the cargo door. When the fuselage halves are back together, I will remount this piece farther back.

DSC00003.JPG

I made the ramp from layered sheet styrene, and molded it in case I did this again. I have brass rod bent to shape as a frame for the aft of the cabin, to support the thin layer of sheet styrene. I'm still debating exactly how I want to go about this part. I might take a few thin layers of sheet styrene and sandwich them together so they hold the round interior shape, then build the outside up once the fuselage is together. I don't know, I'm making this up as I go!

DSC00004.JPG

Ultimately, I want to do a diorama of the aircraft pulling pitch (light on the wheels, rotors coning) out of a dusty LZ, with some air-assaulting Iraqi Army soldiers in defensive positions below. Like this;

27_5215_3706858ac0ff809.jpg

But with a big Iraqi flag on the tail, like this one (YI-257;)

4481339711_cc460786fb_o.jpg

That Puma is MEAN looking!

--Aaron

Hey John

That 222 is just awesome! You were so lucky to get those models from Bell!

Aaron, welcome to the forum! What a way to come on board, with that beautiful workmanship. I look forward to seeing how this build progresses! Thanks for posting.

Great work guys

Cheers

Anthony

My big (unfortunately multi-year) project is a 1/35 Academy UH-60L. It burned me out, so I started a pet project.

Here's the beginnings of a 1/72 Italeri Ka-52 Alligator.

Cockpit with tape belts, scratchbuilt IP, collective, utility lights and ejection handles:

IMG_6522.jpg

Trying to fix the exhaust/IR suppression:

IMG_6527.jpg

Drilled out the rocket pods, which still need to be cleaned up:

IMG_6529.jpg