1/144 Shuttle Stack & MLP

Got paint on the orbiter as well, and then got ahead of myself with decalling..

I've experimented with trying to create a representation of the tile effect. The longer the Shuttles have been in service, the "whiter" the underside "black" tiles have become. To their credit, Revell Germany's painting instructions advise this and also to give a soft demarcation edge between the underside (belly) and cheek (fuse sides) "black".

kits010.jpg

I could tell you how I did this, but then I'd have to kill you. Suffice to say it involves Bare-Metal Laser Printer compatible decal paper and the latest generation brand new top-of-the-range colour laser printer recently installed in a certain working environment, and night shifts....

Close-up...

kits011.jpg

More soon. I've 3 various shades of white already on the Orbiter, and looking at the NASA pic above, I've at least two more to do before I put any more decals on it........

Starting to look like a shuttle.....

kits008.jpg

kits009.jpg

Was fun trying to get all this lined up at once... still not convinced it's right....

kits016.jpg

Have to stop getting ahead of myself with decalling, more paint is needed on the white areas....

(yellow white, grey white, off white.... oh dear, I'm starting to sound like an interior designer....:hypno:

roym,

You did a great job on the ET's color(s)! :thumbsup: What paint/colors did you use on the ET?

You should start your own build thread and show some more in-progress pictures.

Did you design your own black tiles or are they from the AXM paper models website? They look a bit like the AXM bottom tiles and seem to fit the Revell orbiter perfectly.

I noticed you painted the rear of the shuttle's tail black. Will you be adding white to that area? It's all white with a black outline on the real shuttle.

Below is a link to my current Revell shuttle stack build. I also scratch built the Tail Service Masts for the Revell MLP and added some other details.

My Revell Shuttle Stack build

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t
Suffice to say it involves Bare-Metal Laser Printer compatible decal paper and the latest generation brand new top-of-the-range colour laser printer recently installed in a certain working environment, and night shifts...

You're the first modeler I've encountered who has used a laser printer to create decals; most use InkJet or ALPS printers. Did you experience any problems? Mike (crowe-t) and I were discussing this over the weekend, and we both thought the heat generated by most laser printers might be an issue.

BTW, your Orbiter looks fantastic! I look forward to seeing your continued progress!

Al

Edited by Zombie_61