Color of MH-47G by 160th SOAR

I would like to confirm the color for MH-47G operates by 160th SOAR is black rather then gunship grey FS36118, am I corect? Thanks, James

I thought I saw a picture somewhere of an MH-47 (not sure if it was a G model) in overall grey but aside from that, all pictures of MH-47's I've seen show them to be black.

Regards,

John

I would like to confirm the color for MH-47G operates by 160th SOAR is black rather then gunship grey FS36118, am I corect? Thanks, James

Black. Although standard CARC is also possible (Air Forces Monthly 4/10 p.78). The gray bird that's out there was most likely YMH-47E 88-00267 which is on Wolfpack Decals sheet 72-034 and pictured here. http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Army/...lack/0370097/L/

Edited by Rank11
  • 7 months later...

The only gray I've seen them use was the YMH-47E and also a 60, which I believe were both being tested by the unit. That was a few years back. I don't know if they still have those, and I don't know if they ever went with any operational ships in that color. I noticed a 60 and a 47 at the same location more recently that were black. So those might be the same two test ships, repainted black. So maybe it was something they were just thinking about.

What's up with the engine exhausts on that MH-47G? That's the first time I've seen those fitted. I assume they're IR suppressors.

Deke

Excellent point, I haven't seen that before either.

Regards,

Murph

Early SOAR E-model airframes were standard CARC Aircraft Green, but I believe all of them are black now. Only gray ones I'm aware of are the ones Dave mentions

The only gray I've seen them use was the YMH-47E and also a 60, which I believe were both being tested by the unit. That was a few years back. I don't know if they still have those, and I don't know if they ever went with any operational ships in that color. I noticed a 60 and a 47 at the same location more recently that were black. So those might be the same two test ships, repainted black. So maybe it was something they were just thinking about.

MH-60A "Velcro Hawks" deployed during Prime Chance were painted a light gray to misdirect observers to think they were US Navy SH-60s.

Those cans are part of the IR suppression system. I'm going by what I remember when I first saw these back in 2008.

The engine exhaust nozzle is different on the E/G. Its fluted, just like the exhausts on the original 707s & DC-8s. There are vanes in the engines that impart a swirl to the hot exhaust flow & its mixed with the ambient air inside that big can. If memory serves, when I helped out the 160th guys for some reason, I was on top of the aircraft & looked inside the can. You could see the swirl patterns the exhaust left on the interior of the forward portion of the cans, but the aft portion was free of these marks. I guess the flow had cooled enough not to leave the flow marks. You can see the turning vanes in the last pic.

S7302629.jpg

S7302628.jpg

S7302630.jpg

S7302627.jpg

Edited by Ishthe47guy
  • 3 weeks later...

all MH-47E/Gs are black. that isnt the official military color designation, but its pretty much what it is. like the CH-47Fs look tan, but are technically "Desert Sage Green". Anyways, a side note, all MH-47Es are either being scrapped and replaced with brand new MH-47Gs, or are being rebuilt as MH-47Gs. all of the MH-47Es should be gone within the next few years, if not close to being gone completely.

Also, those pics by strikeeagle801, its funny, cause I see that bird daily :D