Any 3D modelling - CAD software that import PDF,BMP, JPEG, etc ?

Hi !

Does anyone know about 3D modelling CAD software that can import drawings and blueprints saved as either PDF files, BMP files, JPEG files, RAW files or TIFF files ???

I have a CAD software i am evaluating and i thought it could import PDF, i tried, created a PDF file with one blueprint in it, but the CAD software only caught the fonts of the name of the airplane that was on that drawing, not the drawing itself...

Seems Google SketchUp cannot do that either, and another software (rendering anyway) is even more limited.

I also got Blender (though obviously i cannot use it for CAD) and it can accept a lot of formats, but not the ones above either.. unfortunately.

I must point out i am trying FREE softwares (including a CAD), I haven't tried everything out there yet (just starting).

I have seen that in 3DS MAX you can upload blueprints and put them in the Y axis to align them with your 3D build as a reference for dimensions and shapes and all. Does anyone know a free CAD software that can do the same ? And could Rhino 3D or Alibre Design Express do the same ?

I would preferably want to use a FREE 3D CAD software (similar to Rhino or BRL CAD (but without the bugs and programmation intensive interface.. As i am not yet ready to purchase commercial package (and i must make sure it can do the same trick 3DS MAX can do).

Would sure simplify my job.

Stephane

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Here: That sort of trick is what i am looking for in a 3D CAD software:

POLYGONS_plus_Plan1.jpg

The drawing is not from me i must point out, it is just an exemple i grabbed on the web.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Edited by Stratospheremodels
I have a CAD software i am evaluating and i thought it could import PDF, i tried, created a PDF file with one blueprint in it, but the CAD software only caught the fonts of the name of the airplane that was on that drawing, not the drawing itself...

From this paragraph, it sounds like the software is simply incapable of dealing with bitmaps. If you have any apps that can autotrace vector drawings from bitmap images (Illustrator, Inkscape, etc,) you might be able to save those as PDFs and then export to your CAD program without too much trouble. Just an idea.

:)

edit: Actually, if you have Illustrator, it will export AutoCAD DXF & DWG files directly.

Edited by mkimages

Stephane,

It's actually possible to load bitmap images as backgrounds in Blender. They don't show up in the render window as they do in other apps, but you are able to use them as guides while creating a model.

blend_N11_1.jpg

There's a .pdf tutorial here: http://felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2334914 and the thread that goes with it is here: http://felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2283400.

Don

Stephane,

It's actually possible to load bitmap images as backgrounds in Blender. They don't show up in the render window as they do in other apps, but you are able to use them as guides while creating a model.

blend_N11_1.jpg

There's a .pdf tutorial here: http://felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2334914 and the thread that goes with it is here: http://felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2283400.

Don

Hi Don,

Nice ! But now i must find a CAD software that can do that same (i only got Blender to render models i will create in CAD for display purpose, boxart, etc), the software i use is called Double CAD. I don't think it can do that, and that would be the key for me (to do it in CAD).

Stephane.

Don't give up on Blender, Stephane for both creation and rendering. This is the final N.11 created and rendered in Blender. It's not super detailed because it was meant to be used in laying out an in-perspective comp for an acrylic painting.

Render-Stage_N11.jpg

This is the comp with models created in Blender and rendered with atmosphere in Vue (which has a free version available).

2Nv2F-furball_022408_1.jpg

Amazing what you can do with free software :crying2: .

Strato

Not quite sure what you mean re Blender - as far as I know it is a free, fully functional 3D Cad modelling programme which , in the hands of experts turns out stunning , highly detailed models - see Mrys's Gladiator in either Mil-Art.com or Military Meshes .com .

I use it to put together models for subsequent paintings and find it most useful.

3 view Plans in JPEG format can be placed in the three construction windows side , front & plan.

Edited by NeilF92