Any $$ Advantage to overseas Hobby shopping?

Hello, a co-worker is going to be in Hong Kong for a few days and is willing to browse

hobby shops there for any possible deals on say; Trumpeter-Dragon?

I wasn't sure what to put on the spur of the moment list but did jot down Trump 1/32 Super

Hornet, possibly the new Su-25, F-8E.

Considering how it goes, not sure if shipping is worth trying, or to pick one that he can bring

back with him perhaps?

Thanks. Erik.

Hello, a co-worker is going to be in Hong Kong for a few days and is willing to browse

I wasn't sure what to put on the spur of the moment list but did jot down Trump 1/32 Super

Considering how it goes, not sure if shipping is worth trying, or to pick one that he can bring

back with him perhaps?

Thanks. Erik.

The cost will definitely be cheaper to buy directly while in HK. Just from looking on ebay typical shipping prices for large kits like the F-18 are around $30.

So, if you look at it from a total cost perspective the price is the same if you buy here or buy there and ship it here. However, if you can buy there and avoid shipping costs then you are ahead. The drawback I see is how your co-worker will be able to carry the kit back. It's quite a large box and I doubt he could fit it in his suitcase easily.

I'm not sure about this, but don't you have to pay duties on those when passing through customs? Or something?

I've never done it myself (gone abroad to shop for kits) but I sort of recall somebody else saying something about extra fees somewhere.

back with him perhaps?

Thanks. Erik.

Hi there,

Erichmodel also ships to the hotel your friend stays in. Just make sure you order in time.

http://www.ericyymodel.com/

Harald

If you're looking around for brick and Mortar hobby stores, you could try UML(the parent company of Dragon) for Dragon, with there being stores at 579 Nathan Road, Mongkok, 5 Pennington street, and somewhere on Waterloo Road. Check out their website :o http://www.universal-models.com/. They have a fairly comprehensive stock of Japanese and Italeri and stuff like that, however you wont find Trumpeter, or much Revell. Prices are ok, and there is a 10% tourist discount if you show your boarding pass or other proof youre a tourist :). For Trumpeter, there is a shop somewhere on Waterloo road between the hospital and the UML, not sure exactly where it is, sorry, but they have EVERYTHING Trumpeter has released, and you should be able to find whatever you want there. Its like a small store with the window covered with like Tamiya and Doyusha stickers. I got a 1/72 Tu-16 Badger for $140 hkd, which is about 18 USD.

Hope this Helps

Aaron

I'm not sure about this, but don't you have to pay duties on those when passing through customs? Or something?

I've never done it myself (gone abroad to shop for kits) but I sort of recall somebody else saying something about extra fees somewhere.

Yes, you do, although there's usually a threshold (which varies from country to country). Some countries charge sales tax, some import duty, and some both. These are generally based on the item's value.

If you're bringing something in in person, you lose the chance to have it declared as low-value, so you have to take the risk that Customs will want to inspect the package(s) and charge duty. As models tend to come in large boxes, more than one stuffed in a suitcase will be hard to conceal, so they'll be very obvious; and then it's down to a discussion between passenger and Customs about value. You could hope that he doesn't have a clue about plastic models and try to persuade him that they're second-hand, but the only way to make that even close to safe is to have receipts to back it up. Otherwise, well, at least you'll have saved the cost of postage (on which import duty is sometimes levied as well)!

Given the airlines or most of them charge for checked luggage...$25-$30 per bag...paying shipping is probably cheaper. Carrying a large box on a flight is definitely inconvenient especially now that they really are limiting what can and can't be carried on board.

If the item gets damaged? No recourse, no way to file a claim.

Shopping abroad is a novel experience. But you have the opportunity to keep your fellow countrymen employed by shopping domestically even from those domestic based internet retailers who employ a staff.

If its something you just can't get locally, sure it is something most of would do. But if you were the one traveling, would you want the responsibility of toting a large box through the airports and customs?

I've had experience with buying kits while abroad. Yes you do save money, but here are some other factors to consider, all from my hobby shopping experience:

1) How much do you really save buying abroad vs buying local? Do some research first.

2) There are usually exemptions on customs depending on how long you travelled. For Canada, I believe it's more than $700 if you travelled for more than 4 days. Not sure about the US.

3) Lugging a big Trumpeter 1/32 box around Hong Kong all day is a major PITA because of the city's crowded-ness. Hence plan your shopping trip in the city carefully.

4) The Tamiya 1/32 boxes, Academy 1/32 boxes, and some smaller Trumpeter 1/32 (EE Lightning, MiG) will fit in the largest suit cases. Trumpeter's recent larger kits (1/32 Tomcats, Super Hornets) will not.

5) If your kits won't fit in your suit case, then buy from Luckymodel or ericyy, and have them shipped to your hotel. This way they will come already packed in a brown box, which you can bring in as a piece of luggage. The airline staff usually put a "Fragile" sticker on these brown card board boxes, but there's still the potential of damages in transit.

6) If you buy online and have the kits shipped to the hotel, put "uest" in the recipent name (such as "Joe Blow (guest)" ) so the hotel docking staff can handle it accordingly.

7) Depending on the route, some airlines charge extra for luggages. If you're flying overseas, chances are good that you are allowed two pieces without charge.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort