Again, washing trouble!!!

Hello, I need your help!

What I did is this:

Painted an Eduard PE part with Model Master paint and let it cure for about 6 days.

Then, today, I painted Gunze Sangyo Aqueous H 30 Clear Gloss and let it dry.

After about 3 hrs, I mixed a tiny bit of Rowney Georgian oil colour with turpentine.

I painted it on and what happened? Then I tried to wipe off the excess wash and all layers of paint were wiped off too and I could see the naked metal!

What did I do wrong?

TIA,

Thomas

The turps ate through the acrylic gloss (and then enamel). Any sort of gloss paint should be left as long as possible to cure, be it acrylic, lacquer or enamel, particularly when applying a wash - you're applying strong solvents in liberal amounts over the paint; if it's still soft, obviously it won't be able to stand up. Even though it may have been dry to the touch, it was probably still soft under the surface, which allowed the turps to cut through it. Next time, leave gloss to cure for a couple of days (acrylics).

It's also possible that the Gunze paints aren't robust enough to stand up to a wash, in which case, you may want to try Future.

The turps ate through the acrylic gloss (and then enamel). Any sort of gloss paint should be left as long as possible to cure, be it acrylic, lacquer or enamel, particularly when applying a wash - you're applying strong solvents in liberal amounts over the paint; if it's still soft, obviously it won't be able to stand up. Even though it may have been dry to the touch, it was probably still soft under the surface, which allowed the turps to cut through it. Next time, leave gloss to cure for a couple of days (acrylics).

It's also possible that the Gunze paints aren't robust enough to stand up to a wash, in which case, you may want to try Future.

Agreed you MoFo. I think his problem was the dry time. I use Gunze Gloss in all my projets and always work fine.

Cheers