Washing with Terpenoid gone bad..need help!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping to have my second plane model, since getting back into the hobby, done to post here but have run into a snag. hopefully someone here can help.

Ok so I got to the weathering stage of my latest build, an F-4J Phantom II, and thought this would be a great time to try Terpenoid for the wash since I have heard so much about it. I go to the local art supply store and buy the smallest can of Terpenoid Natural. I get home, mix the stuff with some oil paints like I have done before with regular paint thinner and was shocked when the applied wash became sticky and hard to remove.

After investigation I found out that there are 2 types of Terpenoid. Terpenoid Natural in a Green lable which is not made for washes, and regular Terpenoid in a Blue lable. Oh well. lesson learned.

However, since it was too late for the Phantom, I decide to finish applying the wash and let the plane be dirtier than I planned. But here in lies the problem. After a week since I applied the wash some of the surfaces on the model are still tacky and don't seem to be drying at all. Can I go ahead and put a coat of flat clear to finish off the model or will I have to wait, who knows how long, for the wash to completely dry?

Since that art supply store does not carry the blue lable Terpenoid I bought a small bottle of Odorless Taltine by Demco. The downside is that Taltine is still toxic and requires a well ventilated area. A problem since I have no windows in my new workshop, just an exhaust for my paint booth. Has anyone used Taltine before and does anyone know any other non-toxic thinners for washes?

Thanks, Denis