F-100 Super Sabre in 1/48

Does anyone know who makes a good Super Sabre in 1/48?

For F-100D, both Monogram and Trumpeter has one in 1/48. For F-100C and F-100F, it is Trumpeter only.

The Monogram kit is not an easy build. (But not a bad kit either.) The upper and lower fuselage does not match well. I have a complete one on my shelf with a step on the left aft side. I hope to do better when build the second one in my stash.

As reported elsewhere, the Trumpeter kits have accuracy problem. But it seems to be a better fit with engraved lines. I am waiting to start mine. Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt started building one, but has not finished it yet.

Monogram is far more accurate, if not as "easy" to build. I've built at least four Monogram kits over the (many) years it's been available, so it *can* be built, and built very nicely. The Trumpeter kits (C, D, and F) are so fraught with errors I haven't even bought one.

J

Dare one ask, for the record, what about the ESCI kit? :woo:

Run away from the ESCI kit! It's pretty bad everywhere, although it does come with 335-gal drop tanks.

Like the other guys are saying, if you want accurate, get the Monogram kit. If you want a relatively easy build, with good-fitting parts, get the Trumpeter. Just know that the Trumpeter kit is in no way $25+ better than the Monogram kit. The Monogram kit goes together a lot better if you split the wings, and add them as separate parts after you put the fuselage together. You'll still get some seams around the gun access panels and the aft fuselage, but they're not nearly as nasty as with the single-piece wing in place.

There's also the Lindberg kit. It's actually a pretty decent YF-100, shape-wise, but you'd need to rob parts from a Monogram kit and add one of Harold's F-100C seats to bring it up to speed.

Ben

While I do not disagree with the thoughts that the Trumpy kit has errors and many of them are inexcusable. I would also suggest that it really depends upon the type of modeler you are as an individual, as to whether or not you should choose Monogram over Trumpy. If you fall into the "If It Looks Like A (insert name here)" category, you would probably would be very happy with the Trumpy kit (although the price is high). However, if you fall into the "I Want An Actual Replica Of (insert name here)", then you should probably go with the Monogram kit (although the Revellogram kit is NOT without it's own particular vices as well).

The major issues with the Trumpy kit iirc involve the nose intake, seat and "C" model tail, as well as some issues with the speed brake among others. All of which, unless you are an expert on the 'Hun, you probably would never even notice. So in short it really depends upon personal preference, as to which way you should go. I have 4 Monogram 'Huns in the stash, as well as 4 of the Trumpy kits (1 "C", 2 "D's" & 1 "F") and I plan on keeping all of them to build eventually. I also have a Cutting Edge 'Hun "C" conversion set and a C&H 'Hun "F" conversion set for my Monogram kits as well. The 'Hun is quite possibly one of my favorite aircraft of all time, as it just has SO many options in markings available, between the hi-vis 1950's, the camo Vietnam and post-Vietnam ANG markings. All in all, one heckuva plane!

Edited by madmanrick

I built two of the Monogram Huns several years ago and they built up into nice replicas. They do take a certain amount of work, but that is what modeling is all about. Anyone can take pieces that fit well, glue them together and throw some paint at it. A good modeler can take a kit with some challenges and still finish out with a good looking model.

Darwin

I'd almost say that if you want a natural metal Hun go with the Trumpeter kit - for the fit if nothing else, less messing with fillers and sanding that can mess with a natural metal scheme, camo the Monogram one is ok, some more fit problems (around the wing/fuselage joint IIRC) with the raised panel lines (they often get wiped out in fitting and sanding).

Kinda like my two Mirage IIICJs - The Eduard is camoed as it did not fit as well as the HB kit - which went natural metal

Matt

Rick, be aware that the Cutting Edge F-100C conversion has a couple of the same problems the Trump C has. The tail is off, and it doesn't have the correct ejection seat for a C. This is at least partly because about a year before the CE conversion was released, I'd sent Dave K a preview of the F-100C conversion article I did for FSM to help him out. At the time, I didn't know about the different seat or the correct tail dimensions . :P

Ben

Thanks for the heads up Ben. I am not even sure I will ever get to the CE conversion, but I have one just the same. Perhaps in 4 or 5 years, I can turn around and make a bundle off it, but with my luck the resin will dissolve or something crazy like that. I really wish I could a hold of the Fox 3 Studios "C" conversion, but that is long gone from what I've learned.

Rick

Edited by madmanrick

As much as I love Fox 3's stuff, their C conversion was a little rough. There is a comparison in the reviews section of ARC. Going the DIY route with a Monogram kit isn't al that hard, and Harold's F-100C seat will go a long way towards fixing the cockpit.

Cheers!

Ben