Hi... Started on my fourth Titanic build. The first two were the Revell 1/570 kits, and then I built

the 'original' 1/350 Minicraft kit about 10-12 years ago when I lived in Texas. This one is Minicraft's

retooled/updated version with P.E. deck railings. I've finished up with the forecastle deck, shown

here. I'll be building the various decks as if they were seperate models, then bring everything

together at the end.

I've heard that Hobby Boss is doing a new Titanic kit, but it's unclear whether it will be 1/350

or 1/550 scale. I'm hoping for 1/350, as the molds for the Minicraft kit (originally a 1974 vintage

Entex kit) are getting pretty tired.

DSCN1410.JPG

DSCN1411.JPG

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Will you please, PLEASE do us all a favor and do a little whiffery to it: put a tiny firing squad shooting at a figure painted as Leonardo Dicaprio on the stern? :cheers:

Looks great so far Patrick.

Will you please, PLEASE do us all a favor and do a little whiffery to it: put a tiny firing squad shooting at a figure painted as Leonardo Dicaprio on the stern? ;)

Looks great so far Patrick.

Hell, put both him and her in front of that firing squad....and add Celine Dion for good measure because that song got played over and over and over and over.....

@ SBARC - Have you seen the models done by somebody depicting the Titanic at the bottom? It'd be cool to do that, but that's way beyond my modelling skills.

Edited by Kalashnikov-47
Hell, put both him and her in front of that firing squad....and add Celine Dion for good measure because that song got played over and over and over and over.....

@ SBARC - Have you seen the models done by somebody depicting the Titanic at the bottom? It's be cool to do that, but that's way beyong my modelling skills.

I seem to vaguely recall seeing a model on the ship on the bottom. Adding the little ghost characters to that model would be cool. But I do agree.....building something like that would be very difficult....much beyond my modest ability.

Depending on how far you're willing to add extra detail and make corrections to your model, you might find this webpage handy.

As far as HobbyBoss is concerned, where did you hear about the Titanic kit rumor?

Hi thanks.. familiar with both Titanic-model. com and Rivet Counter. This one's going to be an OOB build.

[edit] An outstanding reference is "Titanic The Ship Magnificent" by Bruce Bevridge & Co, from Titanic-Model.

Two huge and heavy volumes crammed with 100th level super geek detail. At $75 each, they ain't cheap,

but they're worth it. These books get down to the schematics of the Marconi wireless and goes into the

plumbing of the ship, amongst other things. Nothing historical, all technical. A very good friend gave them

to me on my last birthday.

Titanic rumor linked to below. Is it 1/350 or 1/550? Both are mentioned. IMHO, 1/550 don't make sense,

but ya never know with our Chinese friends....

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.ph...le&sid=7619

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Patrick I know what an uphill climb I faced just doing the two Eagles.....I wouldn't even imagine trying to tackle what you've locked horns with :) :pray::whistle: . From what I see, you're off to a great start. I'll be following closely. Who knows I might get the itch to do a ship in the near future.

Edited by Angels49
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress:

In between working on the individual decks, I'm shaping up and painting the hull.

It's very thin in some spots along the bottom. I also hate the display stands that

come with plastic ship models, so I found some wooden items in the craft section

at the local Hobby Lobby. A little drilling and sanding and you have a much nicer

stand! Some plastic and some washers and nuts were epoxied inside the hull

bottom. Bolts come up from the bottom of the wooden stand to secure the ship

model.

DSCN1403.JPG

After finishing the forecastle deck, I moved to the other end of the ship. Here's

the poop deck with the docking bridge. My first time with P.E. railing. It's OK for

now, but I'll get better with it as I use it more. I think it wasn't sized quite right

for the plastic parts, as there were some alignment issues, but then again, it

could have been my error too.

DSCN1428.JPG

DSCN1429.JPG

DSCN1430.JPG

I've made some more progress:

Hull painted and main deck painted/fitted. Forecastle deck also done.

Hull paint was from Floquill railroad colors. Bottom is ATSF Mineral

Brown, then there's Engine Black and Reefer White.

DSCN1434.JPG

Some rigging lines are already in place. It kinda makes assembly a pain.

DSCN1435.JPG

I also painted decks and walls. These walls above the hull were painted

Tamiya flat white. The deck tan color was a mixture of two Model Master colors

called for over at Titanic-Model.com.

DSCN1436.JPG

Some of the sub-assemblies, dry fitted/stacked in place.

There's still a long way to go on this model.

DSCN1437.JPG

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...