Let he building begins... As I already explained in the chat, I'll try to scratchbuild the open flaps and slats, as this looks to be the case with most parked and shut down Tornados on most of the photos.

I'm not sure, if this experiment will succeed, but I can still buy the resin replacements if I fail...

_BEN6150.jpg

Actually Sebastijen,it's not at all common to park Tornado's with wing flaps boards out,certainly on the Tornado squadron's I've served on it's very uncommon to deploy them when parked up.Now it may be common on some squadrons but to park them that way does create problems,especially working around the jet.

In the same vein,on the old Tornado GR1,used by the RAF & RSAF,you will not see them parked with the wings swept for the main reason the GR1 has a fuel tank fitten in the verticle fin,therefore moving the CoG.

Other than that,nice work so far,dont forget to cut out & box in the APU behind the stb wing.It's missed out on kits for some reason...

spike, thanks for the info. I've decided to build it as it will be, because of so many photos out there, showing them parked with deployed flaps... this will certainly save me some time with my future Tornado projects. And yeah, I was aware of the missing APU box and unswept wings when parked infos.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

working on the other wing as we speak

• 2 weeks later...

well it's far from perfect and 100% correct, but I'll manage to live with it and it will defintely add the interested to the finished model... haven't done any work on the Tonka since, unfortunately, as I am preparing for my move...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One question for Tonka experts. I've seen photos of Saudi birds with some kind of dual bomb pylons attached to the underfuselage rails, so that an aircraft carries 8 1000lb bombs. Are they available in resin form or does anyone have any detailed pics of the pylon? I'm still deciding wheter to go with iron-bomb or JP load...

One question for Tonka experts. I've seen photos of Saudi birds with some kind of dual bomb pylons attached to the underfuselage rails, so that an aircraft carries 8 1000lb bombs. Are they available in resin form or does anyone have any detailed pics of the pylon? I'm still deciding wheter to go with iron-bomb or JP load...

courtesy of Pete

scannen00062.jpg

scannen0001ce.jpg

There were/are some white metal ones availlable, from Aeroclub or Airwaves or something. I saw them at the hobbyshop once and wasn't too impressed with what you get for the price.

You should go JP's anyway :monkeydance: .

They are called Twin Store Carriers & made by Hunting Engineering.Unfortunatly,I don't think they are available aftermarket although they are in a few kits including the Airfix Tornado GR4 (Worth getting one for the weapons in it!)

Thanks B! I am aware of those two pics and I think such loadout looks killer on Tonka. I might scratchbuild them and get another 4 freefallers from somewhere...

Thanks for the description Spike!

Hi Seb,

if you need I can send you my four freefallers;I plan to use it on my Jag, but I can replace them with those of the CMR's Buccaneer.

:thumbsup: Gianni