Another rally super car: Hasegawa 1/24 Lancia Stratos

dont forget to carve out some harness slots in the seat base/side.

looking good!

Thanks, Shawn!

About the slots. Weird that they aren't included on the seats, although it very well might be that there were no slots in the first place.

I know many of the older, quite simple bucket seats didn't have any, the harnesses just ran on top of the seat and not through it. Several picture of old Lancias seem to prove this as well. As far as I know, the original seats came from Recaro, at least Sandro Munari used Recaros and he was one of the driving forces behind the whole car all the way from the earliest sketches. I've found photos of modern replicas and even they don't have slots. So, no slots. :)

Another cracking project Jan.

Always loved the Stratos...just so "Seventies!"

:cheers:

Thanks, Guy! The Stratos truly is an iconic rally car of the seventies.

The Stratos is looking quite Sharp, Jan ... ;)

Gregg

Thank you, Gregg! Always a pleasure to see a US rally nut here. :)

any more updates....:)

Here's some progress, Holmes!

The seat belts were made from wine capsule foil and the original decals were used for the "Britax" texts. The decals for the extinguisher came from the spares box. The steering wheel I originally used seemed to be wrong for Alen's car so that was changed. Luckily the kit includes two types of wheels.

P1100227.jpg

P1100223.jpg

P1100232.jpg

The brake discs would have benefited from PE covers but since I have no PE set, I painted them with Mr. Metal Color silver and polished them after I had done small grooves for the discs with a rough sanding paper.

P1100228.jpg

The chassis seen from below. Straight OOB, since this is a curbside model anyway.

P1100233.jpg

janman

Well I am not at all disappointed..Those Seats are absolutely work of art..NEAT!!FLAWLESS!!

You are doing a FABULOUS job on this...very detailed and lovely workmanship..

Keep it going..

HOLMES :coolio::tumble:

Edited by HOLMES

The exhausts on the Stratos were often different in length, the right one being noticeably farther in below the rear fascia. This was also the case on Alen's San Remo car, although the left exhaust on the kit is probably a bit too short. Not a problem since the exhausts are not glued yet.

Edited by janman

Stratos with wheels on!

P1100236-1.jpg

The exhausts were treated with Tamiya weathering set and a plug was added for the right side.

The wheels were painted with a mix of two Humbrol reds and coated with Gunze's spray gloss.

Edited by janman
Stratos with wheels on!

P1100236-1.jpg..... :taunt:

The exhausts were treated with Tamiya weathering set and a plug was added for the right side.

The wheels were painted with a mix of two Humbrol reds and coated with Gunze's spray gloss.

SUPERB work... :banana::taunt:

I'm glad to hear not everyone is after for the Alitalia scheme!

Sure, the Alitalia livery is a classic too but there's something about the colors of the Pirelli livery ...

It's both clean and dramatic and I understand your affinity for it with your Countryman being the driver too ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Sure, the Alitalia livery is a classic too but there's something about the colors of the Pirelli livery ...

It's both clean and dramatic and I understand your affinity for it with your Countryman being the driver too ... :whistle:

Gregg

+ 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wheel arch extensions on this car differ from the kit ones. In fact there were two or three different models used during the car's career. A bit shame that I had to cut down the originals since the fit between the extensions and the body was perfect with no need for sanding or putty - at all.

EDIT: The second photo shows the corrected wheel arches.

P1100323.jpg

P1100325.jpg

Edited by janman
  • 1 month later...

Jan,

You're doing a marvelous job, this is probably my all time favorite rally car. It's really a shame the kit doesn't come with that beautiful Ferrari engine that the actual car has in it. This car has such a great history, it's good to see you doing it justice. Thanks for letting us follow your build, it's a real treat!

It's really a shame the kit doesn't come with that beautiful Ferrari engine that the actual car has in it. This car has such a great history, it's good to see you doing it justice. Thanks for letting us follow your build, it's a real treat!

To get engine detail, you need to go a scale. I'm not aware of any 1/24 kit of the Stratos that offers engine detail. In 1/20 however, the Entex kit gives you the option of an openable engine cover and front clip. The Dino engine is done in all it's glory, and the detail is spectacular. Bandai did the plastic. I've got the kit sitting in my pile.

Jan,

You're doing a marvelous job, this is probably my all time favorite rally car. It's really a shame the kit doesn't come with that beautiful Ferrari engine that the actual car has in it. This car has such a great history, it's good to see you doing it justice. Thanks for letting us follow your build, it's a real treat!

Thanks for your interest, Expat Tomcat! We moved to a new apartment a month ago so I haven't been able to do any modeling for a while. But sooner or later I'll make a comeback!

Smithery, Fujimi has a 1/24 Stratos with engine detail. I've never seen the kit in flesh but it seems to be rather nice. In fact, was going to buy a Fujimi wreck from a local guy which would have included all the engine parts but it would have made the build much more complicated and time-consuming.

Smithery, Fujimi has a 1/24 Stratos with engine detail. I've never seen the kit in flesh but it seems to be rather nice. In fact, was going to buy a Fujimi wreck from a local guy which would have included all the engine parts but it would have made the build much more complicated and time-consuming.

Really? Didn't realize that Fujimi had done it in 1/24. I thought only Hase and Italeri had tackled the Stratos in 1/24. I know Fujimi has done it in 1/20 also, but alas another curbside.

I'll have to dig a little deeper I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not aware of any 1/24 kit of the Stratos that offers engine detail. In 1/20 however, the Entex kit gives you the option of an openable engine cover and front clip. The Dino engine is done in all it's glory, and the detail is spectacular. Bandai did the plastic. I've got the kit sitting in my pile.

Smithery, Reji made a resin engine & gearbox. I also used the PE on my italeri kit.

Jan, if you are really brave, chop the back off it!

Stratos3.jpg

I noticed that your Air filter is in a strange location, but there were so many variants of this engine almost no two were alike.

Stratos7.jpg

Jan I have a few pictures of an original Stratos if you need them for reference purposes. Just give me a shout.

Phil