Riveting the F-86

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I've started a 1/48 F-86 from Hasegawa and I would like it to be riveted...

I wonder if one of you could share a riveting plan for the Sabre?

Thanks in advance.

Atb,

Pascal :rofl:

The most convincing rivet job on a 1/48th Sabre I've ever saw.

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/f86/f86galle.html

Cheers

Larry McCarley

I think it looks awful. I'm with the other guys, you just shouldn't do that to an F-86.

Scott W.

Yeah...IF only we could all build models that looked that aweful :rolleyes: . What is it with this anti-rivet movement going on lately? That's two post in a week where a person came and asked for some reference information about rivets only to be met not only with no answer to his question, but a campaign about how wrong it is to add the rivets. Everyone has their own opinion, but you guys make it sound like it's a crime to put rivets. Also, if you look at those pics, around the panel screw fasteners you can not only see the fastener but you can see the dimpled skin deflection very pronounced around some of them, so what about that? Plus, most of those are painted planes, on the bare metal one you actually can see the rivets weathered, hard to produce that result without putting a slight rivet. And what about the skin wrinkling on some panels? That's pretty darn noticable on a lot of planes, would that look aweful as well?

Anyway, rant off. Not trying to sound fussy at you guys, just find it funny that it seems like blasphemy to try rivet your model sometimes.

Bill

It perplexes me. Utterly. When the Otaki P-40E came out in the 1970s, it got totally blasted for being covered with rivets. Kits that came out for years afterward got blasted if they were covered with rivets. Trumpeter kits get blasted for being covered with rivets. Then a kit comes along that's really nicely done, that captures the look of the real thing really well, but it doesn't have rivets. So people want to cover them with rivets.

My take on it is, if you can't see them on the real airplane, why put them on a scale model? By that logic you could paint a Sabre shocking pink with green polka dots and call it realistic. I guess it just depends on your definitions of things. Personally, I think it's very visually distracting and makes a model look completely unrealistic, no matter how well it's otherwise built and finished. It just doesn't look like a real airplane looks.

To each his own...

...Trumpeter kits get blasted for being covered with rivets...

To each his own...

To be fair, Trumpeter was getting blasted for being covered with craters that were supposed to be rivets. I think most people didn't have a problem with them having rivets, just that they were the size of PGA golf holes.

but yes, to each his own. I still say that Sabre kit that Larry posted a link to looks GREAT! I don't find the rivets overly done or distracting at all. But that's my opinion.

Bill

Anyway, rant off. Not trying to sound fussy at you guys, just find it funny that it seems like blasphemy to try rivet your model sometimes.

Bill

I agree that some of the guys go a little over the top on how they react to other peoples models.

But if the real airplane doesn't have highly visible rivets, then I would say the model shouldn't either. But to each is own, people shouldn't get all pissy on how another guys his own personal model.

As Mr. Jennings said; "to each his own" and I would agree.

Here is a few shots of an F-86 where all the fasteners are pretty much IN YOUR FACE!

IMG_8102copy.jpg

IMG_8117copy.jpg

IMG_8118copy.jpg

Then we have one with a TON of paint on it where at some distance you can't see any fasteners but up close it's a different animal. Plus you can see where the panels are dimpled a lot.

IMG_3029copy.jpg

IMG_3036copy.jpg

It doesn't matter to me which way you like your F-86's but man; Jun's F-86F doesn't look awful...especially this shot

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/f86/f86g114.jpg

Odd too that; some modelers will deepen and widen panel lines and in lots of cases enlarge fastener HOLES so when you put so much paint on a model it won't fill in the panel lines & fasteners. Then, enhance what was done with a wash of really dark colors... Makes no sense to me when as lots have said; "lets make them look more like real aircraft" in which you can't really see panel lines that are very tight in the first place... Ever measure the width of the panel lines on the very nicely engraved Tamiya 1/48th scale F-16C/N's? How about a panel line that is 0.0035 in 48th but in real life would be .168 or close to 11/64's. Man talk about Airfix or Matchbox having wide panel lines.... Woooo-doggie.

Cheers,

Larry McCarley.

Edited by Incaroad

Yeah...IF only we could all build models that looked that aweful :rolleyes: .

Bill

Okay, a poor choice of words on my part. In my defense I wrote that at 4 AM while eating my breakfast just before leaving for work. I didn't have much time to consider my reply and it might have been better to wait until now when I am back home and have more time. That being said, the model is indeed a wonderful display of the man's skills, but I really, really dislike the rivets. To me it's like seeing a beautiful woman all covered in a rash.

Someone else recently built an F-4 that he also applied a rash, er, I mean rivets to, and I commented I didn't think it looked realistic, but if it's what he wants, go for it. Same here, if you want to do that to your model and it pleases you, go for it no matter what anyone else says. As someone much wiser than me once said, "If you've got your own approval, you don't need anybody elses".

Scott W.

I think the whole 'rivets/no rivets' thing is more a condition of the particular a/c and it's manufacturing processes, plus whether it truly is bare-metal or if it has been painted. Take older Soviet birds for example: in true bare metal they are bristling with visible rivets, but camo'd up or "restored" for displays with a silver paint, much of the rivetting is barely perceptible.

And, in, the end, it's the modellers personal choice.