I have had issues with spraying acrylic 'silver' paint so I bought some Citadel paints. These things are acrylic but they are different than Tamiya.

Anyhow - I got the one that is closest to alu and after some experimentation (1 drop paint for 10 drops Tamiya acryl thinner) I got a good consistency for spraying. It runs a little on the thin side but it builds up nicely. I mixed in some darker citadel metalic paint and hit a few panels.

Right now the underside of the plane is masked so pictures will have to wait but I really like the finish. It does not look at perfect at expertly applied AlcadII but its pretty good and if I can get consistent results - the masses can as well.

One thing - DO NOT thin it in ISO alcohol. That stuff instantly turns into sludge and is a pain to clean.

Mithril Silver sprays beautifully:

P1010197.jpg

I thinned it with some window cleaner. The finish is reasonably resistant to handling but masking tape on the wing tips lifted some of the paint. It may be that there was some mould oil on the surface when I sprayed the silver.

peebeep

I have used Citadel metallic paints for a while now... I have replaced all my acrylic Tamiya metallic's with these.

They do spray very nicely! I thin all my acrylics with ISO Alcohol and never had a problem with Citadel.

I've used Citadel Mithril Silver and Chain Mail for several projects with great success. When properly thinned (to the consisteny of skim milk), they spray very nicely at fairly low pressure (aprox 12 PSI) and cover with considerably less of a grainy texture than Tamiya acrylic metallics. I prefer to spray them over a primer coat such as Tamiya Gray Surface Primer. You could also experiment with a gloss black base coat for shinier finishes.

Once cured, you can buff out the Citadel colors with Hawkeye's SNJ aluminum powder for a very nice, authentic-looking NMF. The T-6/SnJ 5 I built several years ago still looks great with a realistic dullish silver finish.

The Citadel metallics also hand-brush quite nicely, and work very well for small natural metal details (prop spinners. control columns etc).

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I always thin mine with distilled water 50:50, sprays a treat, fully agree that Mithril Silver, Chain mail, and boltgun metal between them make great metallics.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more!

Mithril Silver is a perfect choice for painted silver lacquer finishes, and Chainmail is great for NMF.

Mithril with Chainmail accents:

PC271232.jpg

50/50 mix of Mithril/Chainmail with various panels polished with SNJ powders:

PA063301.jpg

Edited by smithery