1/48 F-16C blk25 "Wild Child"

wild_child_3.jpg

This is Academy model. I know it has many flaws, but I have dozen F-16's in my stash and many aftermarket stuff for them, so I decided to start with this average model... I'll try to do my best.

img1721e.jpg

I replaced that silly cockpit with Aires. This one is pretty old and it is not so nice as today ones. I replaced Ejection seat with Quickboost (few details from original was missing)... There is still a lot of work here

I vacuformed cover for the intake which is little offf in shape. Question:

wild_child_1.jpg

which color should I use for this cover, and which one for this tape?

Original wheelbay have no details, so I put Aires in... It fits perfectly.

Question; what is this piece next to the front wheel bay? Should this thing be there?

img1719k.jpg

Gun mozzle needs to be redone... A lot of work again...

img1722.jpg

And now - just me and my buddy - ton of putty...

It's viper time..... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure, but in all pics that i saw, cover is mostly either red, or black ....can be with squardon logo, some writings, or without them, just cover..... As for tape....black i guess.... Of course, there's also some colorfull covers, but, judging by that pic....i'd say red....

Not much help, but.... :blink:

Samo naprijed..... :rofl:

Oh..... according to some diagram i foung in book, on that part of intake are "threat warning antenna" and "air to ground IFF/UHF antena"..... but, i really can't see any "bumps and humps" on pictures.....

Edited by Reaper2006

Lovely viper!

In case you're interrested, we have a Desert Storm Group Build here on ARC currently, and I'd like to invite you to join it. You can find it here.

Good luck with the puttying :coolio:

Lovely viper!

In case you're interrested, we have a Desert Storm Group Build here on ARC currently, and I'd like to invite you to join it. You can find it here.

Good luck with the puttying :coolio:

OK, I'm in. What should I do?

You can list your build in the "Proposed builds" section, and start a thread, just like you did here. If you want, you can ask a mod to move your thread to the GB, or you can keep this one and the new one and post updates in both.

Welcome aboard :coolio:

Question; what is this piece next to the front wheel bay? Should this thing be there?

img1719k.jpg

no, the Hasegawa kit has it too. I would just remove it

.. what's your load out gonna be?

and welcome aboard the DS GB :coolio:

Edited by Benner
no, the Hasegawa kit has it too. I would just remove it

Are you sure that there is nothing... I just cant find a good photo of this for blk25

.. what's your load out gonna be?

Wingtip Sidewinders, centerline ALQ-119, inboard and outboard pylons Mk.84.

Something like these (I'm just not sure are those Mk.83 or Mk.84)

desert_storm_4.jpg

owl_1.jpg

It was probably rare and unusual, but there are many pics with these configuration. So let's say it's possible...

Edited by 0viking0
Wingtip Sidewinders, centerline ALQ-119, inboard and outboard pylons Mk.84.

Something like these (I'm just not sure are those Mk.83 or Mk.84)

It was probably rare and unusual, but there are many pics with these configuration. So let's say it's possible...

They are Mk.84's, the Mk.83 at that time still was very much a Navy and USMC weapon exclusively. And the pics prove it was being done, so why not use it on your model. :bandhead2:

Good,you removed it,only early Block A's had that(Blocks 1-10 IIRC),and it was a antenna housing IIRC,no Block 25's had it.My ANG unit recieved many of it's Block 25's from Shaw in 1991(the remainder coming from Hahn),some still with DS mission markings,our corrrsion control guys decided to leave them on until they went into Phase Maintenance or PDM,the prior units markings were removed when they went through acceptance inspections by our acceptance team at Shaw(and Hahn).

I would like to make "Code One Candy" for my wife Candy but no one seems to have that sheet in stock or ever re-stocks that sheet.

I would like to make "Code One Candy" for my wife Candy but no one seems to have that sheet in stock or ever re-stocks that sheet.

there will be a new sheet for the Shaw Vipers in Desert Storm in the not-too-distant future.

Here's a good reference for the F-16C/D.

there will be a new sheet for the Shaw Vipers in Desert Storm in the not-too-distant future.

Here's a good reference for the F-16C/D.

It would be awesome if the Warren Trask artwork birds would be included(and sanctioned by Warren as well),if that is the case,I can hold on and wait for the new sheet to come out instead of getting the Elite sheet for 85-1420 artwork.

There is this something on the base of vertical fin

I think that this should be removed!? What is that? Should it be removed from the both side?

academyf16parts3lg.jpg

Yes, that vent should be removed. Block 25 jets did not have it, only from Block 30 on.

• 3 weeks later...

OK... I'm almost done with sanding. This model has the worst fit ever...

Meanwhile I'm working on the weapons. Sidewinders are almost done. Those two are from Revell's Eurofighter kit because the ones from the box looks awful - far too thick.

img1824v.jpg

Those yellow caps are homemade. Just some cooper wire and epoxy putty.

And now - the problem again:

img1830u.jpg

These are Mk84's from Hasegawa wep. set (I have 4 of them and they are still in progress). Problem is - their heads/noses/ are not the same as the ones on the photos that I could find...

080124-F-0782R-021.jpg

Is this some kind of cover? Should I try to make something like that, or can I left it like it is now? What was more usual?

Is this some kind of cover? Should I try to make something like that, or can I left it like it is now? What was more usual?

No, i beleve it is not a cover, it is a different fuse type than that on the Hasegawa bombs. Can't remember the designation of the fuse types at the moment. I don't recall seeing any pics of mk84 bombs during the war with the type of fuse shown in the Has kit (I have seen mk82s with that fuse). It's up to you if want to hang of course; it seems easy to do.

Beautiful work so far with a less than ideal kit. I'd also like to thank you for paving the way as I have a similar build I'm doing of a 363rd Viper and you are asking some of the same questions I have. Excellent work on those Sidewinders too, those caps look great.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 months later...

OK... Finally some progress on this one:

Weapons are done. Sidewinders and Mk.84 with new fuses made with Tamiya epoxy putty.

f162.jpg

f164.jpg

Wheels (from CMK set) and legs with some wires (front is not over yet) + ALQ-119 from Hasegawa weapons set

f161.jpg

f163.jpg

...I've sprayed it with surfacer 3x already... There are still some things to fix.

f165.jpg

f166.jpg

Aftermarket used so far: Royale resin nose cone, Aires wheel bays, Aires cockpit + Quickboost seat, Hasegawa weapons set Mk.84, Sidewinders from Revell's EF Typhoon, CMK wheels

Is there anything else that I should do before it would be too late...?

I think you're doing a great job! I wouldn't know how to further improve it.

One thing, though. You are aware the GB has ended last monday? Don't let this keep you from finishing, I look forward to see this build finished.

I think you're doing a great job! I wouldn't know how to further improve it.

One thing, though. You are aware the GB has ended last monday? Don't let this keep you from finishing, I look forward to see this build finished.

I will finish this one, that's for sure... But I've joined too late...

Does anybody have or know where I could find clear photo of centerline ALQ-119 on F-16.

This Academy kit has no centerline pylon and/or ALQ-119. Its hard to determine exact position... It always look like front wheel doors cant open/close when ALQ-119 is mounted.