Northrop YF-17 question

I've seen a few photos of the YF-17 in books and looking at the fuselage I've noticed that the upper rear half of the Testors (ex Italeri) F-18 looks close to that of the YF-17. The twin tails seem to be the correct height too. So now the question is there a 1/48 scale conversion for this poor F-18 kit to be made into a YF-17? I know of the 1/72 scale Anigrand resin kit.

I've seen a few photos of the YF-17 in books and looking at the fuselage I've noticed that the upper rear half of the Testors (ex Italeri) F-18 looks close to that of the YF-17. The twin tails seem to be the correct height too. So now the question is there a 1/48 scale conversion for this poor F-18 kit to be made into a YF-17? I know of the 1/72 scale Anigrand resin kit.

I've never heard of a conversion, but if there was, it would have to be almost a complete kit (new fuselage, wings, etc). The Cobra and Hornet, although they have the same basic shapes, are quite a bit different. The hornet has a thicker cross section, bigger wings just to name a few.

It would be a completely new kit. It's been eons, but I distinctly recall reading somewhere along the line that the YF-17s and the F-18 have no parts in common whatsoever, despite the similarity in overall shape.

J

It would be a completely new kit. It's been eons, but I distinctly recall reading somewhere along the line that the YF-17s and the F-18 have no parts in common whatsoever, despite the similarity in overall shape.

J

The YF-17 is a plane that I am desperate to see released as a kit. Why no kit exists, I'll never know. I guess there must not be too much demand, since the YF-17 never appears on Fine Scale Modeler Magazine's most-wanted kits surveys. I'm holding out hope, however. After all, Trumpeter did release the F-107 a few years back and I never thought I'd see one of those...

The only reason there's an F-107 and a Wyvern is because the folks in Japan (MonoChrome) put up the money. Those kits are marketed in MonoChrome boxes in Japan, and Trumpeter elsewhere.

I'd kill for a 1/48 kit of the YF-16 as well (not the Otaki kit...). It was much prettier than the production bird. I'd buy a YF-17 as well.

J

I was lucky enough to see that thing fly.

He was doing some practice maneuvers over Plant 42 in Palmdale preparing for flight demos, some crazy stuff, very impressive, especially since there were only 3 a/c that could do what he was doing at the time,(F-15,YF-16,not too sure if the 15 could do what I saw) saw him pull into a vertical climb and did 3 consecutive loops as he climbed straight up. He'd climb straight up, do a loop, continue up higher, do a loop, then the same for a 3rd. defiantly trying to impress some buyers.

Curt

If what I heard is true, it's possible to make a 48th Cobra from an Esci Hornet kit. I've got a scan of an article somewhere.

Ves :)

Hey Ves B,

If you find that article let me know as I'd like to have a look at it.

That was an article in Scale Aircraft Modeling, July 1998.

I consider myself able to try a conversion from a F-18 into a YF-17 in 1/48;

Look at this my creation:

f-818-top.jpg

the article inside Scale Aircraft Modelling of July 1998 is enough detailed to provide a lot of guidelines on the modifications required.

The problem is about the decals.

But could be that one day I will stop to do the my whatifs and to try this conversion.

I read here complaints because an aircraft like the Yf-17 is ignored from the manufacturer.

I add there that are lots of other prototypes that I like to see produced in standard kit form: the Yf-16, the Ya-10A, the YA-9, the Ya-7F, the EAP (father of the EFA)

In 1/72 is possible to build all this range pf prototypes in some way (resin, plastic, vac u form).

In 1/48 NOTHING.

i remember seeing a pic of the original a10 design, and my god...that nose was UGLY. wish i could find the pic, but its the nose that made the a10 the warthog...it literally looked like a hog snout.