The new HPH 1/72 TU-154M

It looks nice. I've heard it's a bit rough in places, but that looks a sight better than the KMC 727-200! I wish there were open cabin windows. In 1/72 that just doesn't look right.

Did you see their 1/32 Il-62M?? :woot.gif:

J

Edited by Jennings
It looks nice. I've heard it's a bit rough in places, but that looks a sight better than the KMC 727-200! I wish there were open cabin windows. In 1/72 that just doesn't look right.

Did you see their 1/32 Il-62M?? :)

J

That 1/32 is a typo,of course!! :lol:

It's 1/72

Isaac

An idea would be to put on the window decals and then cut out the windows. Then fill the holes with clear plastic, but that is a lot of work!

How exactly would you do that? It sounds easy when you say it, but doing it is completely different. There would be no way on earth to get all the windows exactly the same size and shape if they were cut by hand, and "fill the holes with clear plastic" - how? What kind of plastic? How do you get it in there without dropping it inside? How do you get it flush with the surface? How do you keep it clear (glue, sanding, etc, etc)??

I can't think of a way to do it other than perhaps cutting out the entire strip, inserting a long strip of clear, then masking the windows using a computer cut mask for each window. What an awful lot of work...

J

It's called model building. Geez, people today are so spoiled with shake and bake kits and aftermarket accessories... back in the day, you had to make stuff yourself out of styrene strip and balsa.

You had styrene strip? I had to cut down a styrene tree, mill it, and make my own strip...

Seriously, trying to make 100+ tiny little windows all exactly the same size and shape, with proper alignment is a tall order. If they're not all 100% identical, it'll look dumb.

J

You had styrene strip? I had to cut down a styrene tree, mill it, and make my own strip...

Seriously, trying to make 100+ tiny little windows all exactly the same size and shape, with proper alignment is a tall order. If they're not all 100% identical, it'll look dumb.

J

My thought would be to cut out strips from the lateralmost parts of the fuselage, both sides, and replace them with clear Plexiglass. I may be wrong, but I would think it is possible to get window masks cut from vinyl at a signmaking shop. There's still the not-small matter of getting identical spacing and everything level, but replacing with a full strip of Plexiglass eliminates having to drill the windows out.

I was ready to pull the trigger on this kit until I saw the not-open windows. In 1/72nd, that's a deal-breaker.

Andy

Jennings you are right, it is a lot of work and difficult to do! It was just an idea. Another idea would be making a metal plate like photo etched parts for one side of the fuselage where all windows are cut out. Then tape it onto the fuselage and cut out each window. So I think you could get exactly the same size for the windows. Ok then you would still need to find a solution to put in new clear windows...what about this clystal clear or Humbrol Clear Fix to do the small windows?

Jennings you are right, it is a lot of work and difficult to do! It was just an idea. Another idea would be making a metal plate like photo etched parts for one side of the fuselage where all windows are cut out. Then tape it onto the fuselage and cut out each window. So I think you could get exactly the same size for the windows. Ok then you would still need to find a solution to put in new clear windows...what about this clystal clear or Humbrol Clear Fix to do the small windows?

It just occurred to me that Flightpath makes photo-etch window strips for the 1/72nd 707; are the Tu-154 windows similar enough in shape and spacing to be able to adapt this to the Tu-154 kit?

Andy

I will check the shape of the 707 windows. I started a conversion set to make a 707 out of the E-3 Awacs kit because the 707 isn't easy to find or too expensive. Maybe I can use these parts to make windows for the TU-154 and IL-62...

Here is one of three resin parts for each fuselage half. The windows will be copies of the heller windows in clear resin and they fit well into these resin parts. Of course I will have to cut out the thin resin in the window wholes befor using the clear parts. Hope the window shape is similar enough for the HPH kits!

7pmxqnrx.jpg

Edited by HFB-320 Hansa Jet
It just occurred to me that Flightpath makes photo-etch window strips for the 1/72nd 707; are the Tu-154 windows similar enough in shape and spacing to be able to adapt this to the Tu-154 kit?

No, not remotely the same size, shape, or spacing.

I've never figured out exactly how one is supposed to use those PE strips anyway. The guy at Flightpath *LOVES* brass, and uses it for everything, whether it's appropriate or not.

J

Inserting a strip of clear and then using computer cut vinyl masks is really the only way to achieve realistic looking windows that I can see. No matter how you tried to do it, it's going to be a LOT of work. If they'd just have provided open windows to start with it would be a lot easier. At least the Tu-134 windows are circular and much larger, so they'll be easier.

J

No, not remotely the same size, shape, or spacing.

I've never figured out exactly how one is supposed to use those PE strips anyway. The guy at Flightpath *LOVES* brass, and uses it for everything, whether it's appropriate or not.

J

I have a Heller 707 I bought the Flightpath detail parts for, and ended up using some of the window strips for a Commercial Chinook conversion.

Yeah, I kind of figured the windows were too different between the Tupolev and Boeing designs, but a guy could dream....

Andy

A few more photos,showing the join seam(the fuselage is made of fiberglass):

26431346.jpg

70019198.jpg

31353882.jpg

I guess I'll go the logical way here(about the windows)-decals.

I won't be the suicidal type. :crying2:

I'll leave banging my head for a more realistic project.

The tail here reminds a bit the Minicraft 757? :crying2:

Isaac

I checked the Windows, for the TU-154 I can use the 707 Windows but have to stretch them in height. The IL-62 Windows are completely different. What about putting the masking tape for the windows on the fuselage, scribe around the windows and then use this scribed line to cut out each window. After that use Humbrol Clearfix or Microscale Crystal Clear?