Blohm & Voss Bv 155V-1

Hello, guys. Let'me introduce my first WIP thread where I'll cover the build of my 4th model.

You can take a look at the sprue photos here (google translate from Russian).

There's no much information about the prototype, only Monogram CloseUp series book, some scanned drawings and factory drawings. Photos from internet for sure.

A quick comparison with the drawings revives unfavorable results: the geometry and some constructive decisions Special Hobbyy provided is wrong (I'll cover the details further in this thread).

I started with the fuselage. The nose part is noticeably pulled up, the sulution is easy: just sand the tubes off (anyway I want to open the engine :)), cut the fuselage in halves and glue it properly. After the tubes are sanded one can notice a significant sagging of the fuselage sides, this can be easily fixed with a putty (Milliput is my favorite, but with one shortcoming - it dries for a long time). The result:

IMG_7159.JPG

After that I positioned the fuselage properly just on the drawings and glued the halves together with CA, sprinkled it with soda - the glue hardens much faster and becomes stronger. Filled the gaps with putty an voilà, the result:

IMG_7162.JPG IMG_7164.JPG

After the fuselage had been glued I noticed that the right node part is more than 1mm longer comparing to the left one. Though this annoying thing is easily fixed with a file.

To be continued...

Great! I am about to start building one myself - I don't usually build WW2 stuff, but I had to build this one because of its name - Karawanken; as Karawanken or Karavanke Alps are the mountain range bordering between Slovenia and Austria and I do quite some mountainbiking up there.

Will follow your build with great interest!

Sebastijan, HOLMES, thanks for your support, I'll do my best to make a decent model ;)

The next thing I've done are the chassis wells. The variant Special Hobby provided has nothing similar with the original configuration. From thick styrene I've made new well walls, glued them to one half of the wing and cutting with a knife step by step achieved a perfect fit of the wing halves without gaps. After that I carefully patched up all the gaps with a putty, sanded, then sprayed with a primer to reveal surface defects. The result:

IMG_7182.JPG IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

I used Mr. Surfacer 1000 as a primer and must admit that I like Tamiya primer more: it's not as stinky and has better coverage rate then Mr. Hobby's product.

Also I've sanded chassis wells' bearing frame and looking at the photos made a new one out of thick foil stripes:

IMG_7176.JPG IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

Huge radiators coming next! To be continued...

Edited by boney_king

I'm going to be watching this one with MUCH interest. I want to build that same kit eventually, as it's my opinion that the Bv 155 is one of, if not THE, prettiest single engined aircraft ever built. I didn't know about the fuselage issue- I'll have to check into that when I eventually get one.

Keep up the good work!