I am about to prime a resin 1/48 scale detailed aircraft cockpit. What is simply the best air-brushable primer to use? I have a brief familiarization with Tamiya liquid surface primer and Mr Surfacer 1200, just from what I've read on the forums. The reviews for each have either been very good or very bad. I just wanted to get the opinion of readers here before I create a disaster of a project by using the wrong primer. Thank you!

I have had success with both of those primers. I'm currently using the Tamiya rattle can gray primer and liking it more each time I squirt it. It's expensive, though. The results are enough of an improvement that I'm going with it for now.

I've been airbrushing just about everything for years and will continue to do with the color coats.

Greetings,

Mr. Surfacer is a great primer but the last time I used it it bothered me. In searching for a substitue, I tired Vallejo acrylic primer. It comes in white, gray and black. Shake the bottle real good and shoot it about 30/35 psi. I was very impressed. I stongly sugget your try it too. Went on nice and thin with a smooth surface and great bond.

Cbreeze

Edited by CBREEZE
Does using a primer really change the look ?

I have been anaircraft guy all my life but recently switched to armor just for someting different and to practice some extreme weathering techniques I could adapt to my aircraft builds. All lot of armor guys and also a instructional build video on the Tamiya web site suggest priming with black. This adds dept to the color and if the color coat is applied thin, you can build up layers and shadows. I am working on a Tamiya HUMVEE and primed with black and I really, really liked the effect.

Vallejo makes a black primer and if you do this, you can eliminate the preshade layer over your primer. I guess the fewer layers of paint the better. Once again, I am really impressed with the Vallejo primer. Just make sure that it is well shaken in the bottle and applied at around 35 psi. Also, if you are going acrylic make sure the plastic is clean and always use a primer.

Hope this helps ya,

Cbreeze

Edited by CBREEZE
I tired Vallejo acrylic primer. It comes in white, gray and black. Shake the bottle real good and shoot it about 30/35 psi. I was very impressed. I stongly sugget your try it too. Went on nice and thin with a smooth surface and great bond.

CBREEZE, you speaking about they GESSO TapaPoros(GESSO Undercoating)???

CBREEZE, you speaking about they GESSO TapaPoros(GESSO Undercoating)???

kfmut,

No, I have no experience with Gesso but I think that is something that artist use on canvass. Just do a search on Vallejo, they make a really fine line of acrylic paints that are growing more popular here in the states. The model air line are designed to be use wth your airbrush, straight from the bottle. Actually I think that Vallejo originates in Spain or Italy. Try this link, one of many I found doing a search. www.vallejopaints.co.uk/

Huey Gunner, I have heard that the Tamiya fine white is also very good but I really don't like shooting primer for a can. I prefer the control that my airbrush has.

cbreeze

Another vote for Vallejo model air.

But 30/35 PSI? I have a siphon feed Badger 175, and I don't need to go that high in pressure. 20/25 does the job, and I'm looking to buy a gravity fed AB to be able to go even lower.

Edited by huntermountain
Another vote for Vallejo model air.

But 30/35 PSI? I have a siphon feed Badger 175, and I don't need to go that high in pressure. 20/25 does the job, and I'm looking to buy a gravity fed AB to be able to go even lower.

I got that PSI setting from the Vallejo web site. I tried it and it worked great so I didn't experiment with a lower pressure setting. I have several airbrushes, a Iwata, Peak C-5 and a Harder and Steenbeck. I might tinker with a lower setting when I get the time.

Cbreeze