Comes out to 1/4000 and change, which I take from them means they didn't plan on a scale as much as an overall dimensions (18 inches long).

I don't know when it's due out, but I saw a link to:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=20658

That suggests September 2010

Anybody know if it's out yet?

The upper deck on the bow looks a bit diminutive compared to my memory and screenshots of the Galactica online. It might be the angles they used in the show, but I got the impression it was more prominent.

Sadly, the armor plates are molded on top of the ribs, and can't be carved off or replaced by scratch or PE or anything. On top of that the ribs look rather shallow and not as impressive as those seen on the TV series.

But all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

:jaw-dropping:

It's about time!!!!!

Plenty of various resin kits costing a small second mortgage, even some 18" and some 36" papercraft kits available if you want to spend a lot of time and effort -- this was my eventual plan -- but now that the plastic kit is out I'll HAVE to get one... Maybe 2... Maybe 3!! I have a couple of friends that loved the series as well, might build a couple and send them out, and keep one for myself.

I also saw a picture of a PE fret by Moebius (don't know if it's with the kit or separate, never built Moebius before) with what looks like hangar pod internal ribs, museum glass grids for the starboard pod, turrets, and some other things.

P.S. Saw a test mockup of a Viper Mk.VII to follow their Mk.II! Probably also in 1/32.

EDIT: May not be a full 18".... Thought I read that but another place says 13" long

Edited by Mark M.

According to the link you posted and I think I'd seen it elsewhere, the scale is set to match the original series Galactica model that was made back then. I seem to recall hearing rumour and/or speculation that they may actually re-kit the original version eventually IF these other models sell well enough. That may be just wishful talk. I agree though, based on those photos the ribbing looks a little shallow. Looks like a lot of paint work to give it a good depth is in order.

I have their Mk II and it looks like it will build up nicely. I haven't started it yet but it's somewhere on the to-do soon list.

I'd like to see the Cylon warrior they are supposed to come out with. That could be really really cool.

Bill

According to comments I've read (scuttlebutt) Moebius only has permission for the "new BSG" material, not the originals.

However, I'm really hoping some of that includes the classic style shuttle, and some of the other things that were on display in the museum room, etc...

It's around 13"-14" long, or 1:4105, as the site notes. Coincidentally, the old MPC/AMT Star Destroyer is pretty close, scale-wise, at 1:4200.

As far as the scale of the old Monogram Galactica, that's subject to dispute if memory serves.

From what I've read on the "dispute" the general concensus is that the nuBSG was a bit shorter, but that the old TOS kit and this should be in the same scale (if I read some of those comments right)

I talked with Mobius at Modelpalooza where he had a preproduction model on display. It looked a bit smaller than the Monogram kit. The detail looked good and if they had been available then I would have bought one.

I asked him about the possibility of doing the Pegasus too but he was only thinking about it as a possible future project.

As far as the original shuttle goes, there is a resin kit available. I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage.

As far as the original shuttle goes, there is a resin kit available. I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage.

The lines don't look right. It's too snub-nosed and squat, and the way the window deck sits on the rest doesn't look right. It looks stretched vertically... I dunno. Doesn't "do it" for me -- plus it's resin! I really do prefer styrene... that'll only kill you if you bleed out from a nasty Xacto accident. Resin will kill ya by getting in your lungs (dust from sanding).

FEDAM26.jpg

The "scale" of the BSG ships are a bit of a questionmark, but at least the nu Galactica has other stuff rendered in the same scale as it with the Vipers on the launch decks and the effects company wasn't known for doing much size manipulation for dramatic effect (giant Battlestar in the dock yards in the battle scene in "Razor" not withstanding). The old ship being a studio model was open to some fudge factor.

I've looked at the nu BSG as something of a refit of the original configuration ship as hinted at by details in the museum display and elements on the new ship, specifically the engine deck. Take the four outrigger pods off the engines and widen the center section and it looks very much like the original Galactica engine deck, complete with similar greeblies.

Nah, reimagining more than refit. Same with their Mk.II Vipers. They did not come from the "old BSG" viper from TOS, but instead were substituting themselves for the original design.

Much in the same way the NCC-1701 Enterprise is apparently 3x longer in the "Star Trek X" reboot. Just a different design with similar inspiration.

Nah, reimagining more than refit. Same with their Mk.II Vipers. They did not come from the "old BSG" viper from TOS, but instead were substituting themselves for the original design.

Much in the same way the NCC-1701 Enterprise is apparently 3x longer in the "Star Trek X" reboot. Just a different design with similar inspiration.

Well, the museum in the Galactica's starboard launch pod doesn't seem to suggest that as there was at least one TOS Viper in there, along with a model representing the original configuration Galactica. Granted, for all intents and purposes, it is a reimagining. But if one considers possible show continuity (which the producers can always ignore later) there have been little hints planted here and there suggesting that during the early part of the Cylon war, the Colonial ships were a lot closer in appearance to the designs seen in TOS BSG. Who knows, maybe if Caprica has a long enough run, we might see confirmation of that if the early part of the Cylon war is documented in the show.

A couple points:

-We don't know whether to take the TOS Viper and Galactica shown in the museum shots to be legitimate parts of the show's canon, or as mere easter eggs.

-From the Razor Flashback mini-episodes, we see that, at least externally, Galactica changed very little in the forty years between the end of the Cylon War and her scheduled retirement. This includes the armor configuration, which nullifies the "armor plates were stripped before retirement" argument.

I've looked at the nu BSG as something of a refit of the original configuration ship as hinted at by details in the museum display and elements on the new ship, specifically the engine deck. Take the four outrigger pods off the engines and widen the center section and it looks very much like the original Galactica engine deck, complete with similar greeblies.

Not likely. The outboard nacelles look integral to the overall design, and as I mentioned above, the Razor flashbacks nullify any sort of "major refit" argument.

Edited by MiG31

I think it's re-imaged for the show, but similar to the original enough to pass the sniff test. I watched the series three times and IMHO it passed up Star Trek, and I'm a huge Trek fan. I never watched the original series growing up, but I watched it after seeing the new one, and I was pleased how much of the original they were able to fit in. They never tried to act like this was just a continuation of the timeline, like TNG. it is a reboot of the original concept. I can't wait to get this model.

Curt

I am a big fan of many things... Star Trek, Star Wars, a number of older shows (Buck Rogers, Lost in Space, etc) and by FAR.. BY FAR the BSG miniseries and the first 2 seasons were BY FAR the best prime time programming on cable or broadcast in the past 50 years. They started slipping in season 3 and 4, but in the uncertain tense times of the first 2 seasons they really outshined everything else. It wasn't just the effects, it was the story, the characters, the writing. The internal struggles, as well (do you shoot down the Olympic liner? There are 70 souls onboard last you heard... are they dead by now? They're not communicating...).

Before the whole Starback/Apollo curve the storyline took (I wish they had never done that -- it kills most shows on TV) it was a gem among gems.

Edited by Mark M.

The only thing about the Galactica flashbacks in Razor is they took place right at the end of the Cylon war. While early in the series it was suggested that Husker Adama had a few years experience as a Viper pilot in the war, one Razor flashback had him mention to his bunk mate that he was glad he got to see action as he feared the war might end before it did and it ended right after his mission. Granted they left that particular scene out of the flashback footage that ultimately aired in Razor, both in the Sci Fi airing and the DVD, but the extender Razor bits are still on the DVD seperately as well. It hasn't entirely been made clear how long the first war with the Cylons lasted, but even if it was only a short war of about 5 years, a lot of advances could have been made. Just look at how allied carrier and fighter designs evolved from 1940-41 to 1945. When things hit a war footing, advances will occur faster.

As such, I still believe there still is a chance that an original configuration Colonial Battlestar floating around in the Caprican universe, as yet unseen (maybe not Galactica, but still possible). It has also been mentioned in nu BSG that the Galactica was one of the 12 original battlestars for the colonies, yet the ship has a higher number code (although that number could be something else). As such, it could be the ship did see action and got heavily trashed (ala the USS Franklin in WW2) and then spent time getting rebuilt as opposed to just being scrapped (which the Franklin was). Ultimately, it would then look as we saw her (and the Columbia) in Razor.

Unfortunately you're right, there are some apparent inconsistencies and oddities in the canon. That said, it is my understanding that the Cylon War lasted twelve years, which is a lot of time for technologies and hardware to change and evolve. There's nothing in the canon to say that Galactica in any way more closely resembled the TOS design. If you want to say the TOS G model in the museum in the miniseries is a canon ship, then you have the difficulty of establishing what it was: was it a battlestar from the Cylon War? Was it a much older design, perhaps even dating from the exodus from Kobol? We don't know one way or another.

I'm still convinced that the "stripped armor" argument is dead on canon evidential grounds.

Edited by MiG31
What's all this talk about stripped armor? I missed something?

I suspect it stems from a number of folks who dislike the ribbed armor detail. The claim is essentially that Galactica was covered in flat armor plate early on, and that prior to decommissioning much of the plating was removed for any number of reasons, revealing the underlying ribs. Supposedly there was a quote, either from Moore or Eick, that lended credence to the armor stripping claim. The problem with this argument is that there's no evidence to back it up from the canon, though there is evidence, namely a shot from the Razor Flashbacks, which torpedoes this argument.

Edited by MiG31

I always figured it was like that to make the ship look more ruggid and less like a toy. it adds so much detail to the ship along with other things, that your brain has a hard time locking onto one thing as it passes by. I know that when I watch the show, my eyes are drawn to the Galactica name on the flight pod every time. to many greblies to process in a quick shot. the armor is just added detail. Maybe it's ablative and gets blown / vaporized in battle. Anyone notice if it changes over time? The ship did get hit with a nuke! I watched the series three times and didn't notice if the armor changed. I did notice battle damage however.

Curt

I watched the series three times and didn't notice if the armor changed. I did notice battle damage however.

Curt

It is shocking how beaten up the ship got at the end of the series......if you compare it to the beginning of Season 1.