display teams/yellow jacks

hi,does anyone know if the royal air force red arrows gnats had the same registration numbers that the aircraft had when the team was the yellow jacks[1964].also what is the best kit to use [1/72 scale],was looking at the airfix kit and im not impressed,pilot figure is suitable only for the bin and the seat is not much better,really needs to be updated.was thinking of trying to hunt down the matchbox kit or are there any other kits out there,only aware of the airfix and matchbox kits,thanks,damo

hi,does anyone know if the royal air force red arrows gnats had the same registration numbers that the aircraft had when the team was the yellow jacks[1964].also what is the best kit to use [1/72 scale],was looking at the airfix kit and im not impressed,pilot figure is suitable only for the bin and the seat is not much better,really needs to be updated.was thinking of trying to hunt down the matchbox kit or are there any other kits out there,only aware of the airfix and matchbox kits,thanks,damo

I was working in the sprayshop at 5 MU RAF Kemble in Gloucestershire and can say that the aircraft came in yellow, the paint was rubbed down to remove the gloss finish and then resprayed red. What ever serial the aircraft carried when it came in was the one it carried when it went back out

Hope this will help.

The Airfix Gnat is pretty ancient and reflects what we would have expected in a plastic kit when it was released in the mid-sixties. The tooling is pretty worn and recent releases will be challenging to build in respect of fit and the condition of the parts generally. If you're going to build an Airfix Gnat it would be better to try and get hold of a second hand early issue.

The Matchbox Gnat builds well, but this too is now pretty ancient and was amongst the first Matchbox plastic kit releases in the early seventies, so you can't expect much if you're going to build one. Both kits would benefit from having seats replaced with white metal or resin items. I don't think there are any relevant PE sets available, you might have to scratch build if you want cockpit detail. Both kits also benefit from a bit of refinement, adding card intake splitters makes quite a difference for example. The Matchbox Gnat needs a little re-shaping of the spine, the kit parts are a little concave when really they should be slightly convex. If building the Airfix I would get rid of the rivets.

peebeep

I was working in the sprayshop at 5 MU RAF Kemble in Gloucestershire and can say that the aircraft came in yellow, the paint was rubbed down to remove the gloss finish and then resprayed red. What ever serial the aircraft carried when it came in was the one it carried when it went back out

Hope this will help.

hi owen,fouga here,thanks for the info regarding the yellow jacks/red arrows gnats serial numbers,its a great help,thanks

The Airfix Gnat is pretty ancient and reflects what we would have expected in a plastic kit when it was released in the mid-sixties. The tooling is pretty worn and recent releases will be challenging to build in respect of fit and the condition of the parts generally. If you're going to build an Airfix Gnat it would be better to try and get hold of a second hand early issue.

The Matchbox Gnat builds well, but this too is now pretty ancient and was amongst the first Matchbox plastic kit releases in the early seventies, so you can't expect much if you're going to build one. Both kits would benefit from having seats replaced with white metal or resin items. I don't think there are any relevant PE sets available, you might have to scratch build if you want cockpit detail. Both kits also benefit from a bit of refinement, adding card intake splitters makes quite a difference for example. The Matchbox Gnat needs a little re-shaping of the spine, the kit parts are a little concave when really they should be slightly convex. If building the Airfix I would get rid of the rivets.

peebeep

hi peebeep,fouga here,thanks for info regarding the airfix and matchbox gnat kits.helpful info...airfix sounds like the better of the 2 options,thanks again

You're welcome. If you're not in a rush then Special Hobby have a Gnat listed as a future release. Some of us have been waiting for MPM/Special Hobby future releases for years, so don't hold your breath! :)

If it does make an appearance you would expect it to be a quantum leap over the old Airfix and Matchbox kits. Aeroclub did a very nice mixed media kit in 1/48, but this is now rare and tends to go for silly money, assuming you can find one.

peebeep

You're welcome. If you're not in a rush then Special Hobby have a Gnat listed as a future release. Some of us have been waiting for MPM/Special Hobby future releases for years, so don't hold your breath! :worship:

If it does make an appearance you would expect it to be a quantum leap over the old Airfix and Matchbox kits. Aeroclub did a very nice mixed media kit in 1/48, but this is now rare and tends to go for silly money, assuming you can find one.

peebeep

peebeep.no problem,suppose i can wish,thanks

Aerodecal had a sheet for the Red Arrows and Yellowjacks with the same serials for both. The only difference, according to Aerodecal was that the Arrows serials were dark blue and the Jack's black. I have the sheet and used one set of serials (there are more than 10 for each aircraft) and the roundels and fin flash. You are welcome to what is left (enough for a few models) as I won't be using them/

Aerodecal had a sheet for the Red Arrows and Yellowjacks with the same serials for both. The only difference, according to Aerodecal was that the Arrows serials were dark blue and the Jack's black. I have the sheet and used one set of serials (there are more than 10 for each aircraft) and the roundels and fin flash. You are welcome to what is left (enough for a few models) as I won't be using them/

nice one,thank you very much

Hope this will help.

hi owen,i also heard/read sumwhere that flt lt lee jones gnat[yellow jacks] had a black tailfin but with a yellow rudder for a whilecould you possably confirm or deny this as appropriate,thanks

I can confirm that the seial numbers are as stated dark blue on the red and black on the yellow. Just as a point of interest it took one week per aircraft to change the schemes, as weight was a critical factor.

hi owen,i also heard/read sumwhere that flt lt lee jones gnat[yellow jacks] had a black tailfin but with a yellow rudder for a whilecould you possably confirm or deny this as appropriate,thanks

Yes you are correct serial number for this aircraft was XR 992.

I can confirm that the seial numbers are as stated dark blue on the red and black on the yellow. Just as a point of interest it took one week per aircraft to change the schemes, as weight was a critical factor.

how much was the difference in weight,just curious as i wasnt aware of a weight difference,thanks

how much was the difference in weight,just curious as i wasnt aware of a weight difference,thanks

[/quot

Weight difference was zero, it was just that with the Gnat the flying controls were weighed for some reason by the aircraft fitters before being fitted back on the aircraft.

the flying controls were weighed for some reason by the aircraft fitters before being fitted back on the aircraft.

Flying controls have to be balanced otherwise they might flutter in flight. Even coats of paint can make a difference.

peebeep

Didn't quite understand whether you wanted the sheet or not. If yes PM or e-mail me with your address.

derek@barsuk.co.il

hi derek,yes i would like that decal sheet,if i may,do u want my email adress or actual postal adress?,as an aside just to let you know in in dublin across the big blue pond,thanks

• 3 weeks later...

hi derek,fouga here,the red arrows/yellowjacks decals arrived in the post this morning,thanks very much again...will come in very useful indeed