The A-10 is almost complete so I'll start the thread for my next build. This is going to be a Upper Heyford F-111E of the 79th TFS, 20th TFW. Duing the Gulf War, F-111Es were deployed to Incirlik as part Joint Task Force Proven Force, forming the 7440th Composite Wing.

This build will be loaded with accessories. I'll be using Verlinden F-111 update set, Scaledown exhausts, BRUs, and wheel set. DMold seamless Triple Plow II intakes, and Paragon Flap and Slat set. Load out will be 14 Mk82 bombs. Though I don't have it yet, I'll get the Afterburner F-111E sheet for this build.

img0054tw.jpg

68-0079_1.jpg

Edited by Benner

Great project mate!!!! ;)

A question: because 14 Mk-82? If I remember correctly during the Desert Storm the Aardwarks played almost exclusively the role of precision strike, so why not arm it with smart bombs, maybe a pair of GBU-15 and AIM-9P for self-defense? :worship:

:) Gianni

A question: because 14 Mk-82? If I remember correctly during the Desert Storm the Aardwarks played almost exclusively the role of precision strike, so why not arm it with smart bombs, maybe a pair of GBU-15 and AIM-9P for self-defense? :worship:

Those were the F-111F's from Lakenheath, based at Taif in Saudi Arabia. They had much more advanced electronics and the Pave Tack targeting pod, and were indeed pretty much doing PGM missions exclusively.

The F-111E's from Upper Heyford, based at Incirlik in Turkey were not much more advanced than the old F-111A's, and didn't have the PGM capabilities the F-111F's had. Hence the dumb bomb load out Benner selected. Other load outs used by the E's included CBU's, both on the BRU's and directly on the pylons, and 4 Mk.84's.

A question: because 14 Mk-82? If I remember correctly during the Desert Storm the Aardwarks played almost exclusively the role of precision strike, so why not arm it with smart bombs, maybe a pair of GBU-15 and AIM-9P for self-defense? :thumbsup:

basically what Pete said, the F-111E in Incirlik had no PGM capability, to the extent that latter in the war, some F-4E from Clark AFB in the Phillipines were deployed to Incirlik to provide PGM capability. The F-4E would would lase the target with a Pave Tack pod and it or GBU-10 carrying F-111Es could drop weapons on target. Although the F-4Es did arrive at Incirlik in time to fly a few combat sorties, their Pave Tack pods did not arrive before the end of hostilities so they never did drop any smart bombs.

• 2 weeks later...

gotta order more aftermarket f-111 stuff for this build. Iv'e decided the nose gear bay is too plain to leave as is so I'm going to order the Scale Aircraft Conversions set. Unfortunately, due to the Hannants thing ... I can't order yet.

Meanwhile, been cutting away for the Paragan slats and flaps:

img0118aq.jpg

you know you wanna scratchbuild them, just admit it to yourself ;)

Yeah, B, it's time for that next step in modeling! Scratchbuild your own flaps and slats. Then make masters of it and sell resin copies.

Bmolds: B-Accurate, B-affordable, B-good!

And let me be the first to ask, will you do it in 1/72? :cheers:

Yeah, B, it's time for that next step in modeling! Scratchbuild your own flaps and slats. Then make masters of it and sell resin copies.

Bmolds: B-Accurate, B-affordable, B-good!

And let me be the first to ask, will you do it in 1/72? :doh:

Oh B-Quiet!! :stupid:

rear fuselage, most of the parts are glued on for this section. Currently, I'm trying to open up the blow in doors on the intakes.

img0134vi.jpg

front fuselage is almost ready to be glued on. I still need to add the strike camera, etc, on the bottom of the nose. I drilled a couple of holes before closing the fuselage and inserted some wire for the AOA probes.

img0135ip.jpg

I found something rather disappointing about the Paragon flaps. I was dry fitting them, and one was way thicker than the other and it didn't fit. Comparing the two flaps together ... ***?

img0148it.jpg

I had to strip the model and repaint .. here is how it is now.

img01490.jpg

Noice work, Benny! :)

Meanwhile, been cutting away for the Paragan slats and flaps:

Whut did ya cut the flaps 'n' slats with, mate?

Currently, I'm trying to open up the blow in doors on the intakes.

:monkeydance: Me doesn't get it; ain't ya usin' DMold's seamless resin intakes on yer build...? Not going to sacrifice those beautiful trunks by openin' "them" blow in doors on 'em?

Cheers, Benny!

Unc²

Noice work, Benny! :cheers:

Whut did ya cut the flaps 'n' slats with, mate?

:lol: Me doesn't get it; ain't ya usin' DMold's seamless resin intakes on yer build...? Not going to sacrifice those beautiful trunks by openin' "them" blow in doors on 'em?

Cheers, Benny!

Unc²

I cut the plastic on the wings with just my knife and sprue cutters.

As for the resin intakes, they're obviously more accurate than the kit intakes .. the elongated cone thing on the kit intake is not long enough for an F-111E/F, Dmold's is the right length. F-111Es at Incirlik were parked such that the wings were swept back and since I was using the Paragon flaps/slats, that would imply my jet would be powered up and taxiing .. in which case, f-111s always had the blow in doors open when powered on the ground. So, I decided to mod them.