Only in Africa...

Makes me wonder if TSA will start giving gator skin bags more scrutiny now? You realize of course the passenger wouldn't have smuggled the thing if not for the one carry on policy. :banana: Seriously though, I am curious as to how big the Croc was an how big the bag was that is was being smuggled in. Crikey!

Reptiles don't seem to like sudden pressure changes much. I remember hearing a story of an F-100 unit in Nam who had a snake as their mascot (Boa I think). Well, somebody had the bright idea of taking the snake on an attack mission. During the pullout, the boa didn't like that and started crawling around the cockpit and having a crush on part of the pilot. So he climbs in altitude and depressurizes the cabin to knock the snake out. After that, the snake wasn't too healthy as it never could swallow prey properly and finally they let it go (probably to die if it couldn't eat).

Reptiles and planes are NOT a good combination. Just ask Samuel L. Jackson. :taunt:

poor bastard croc survives the crash only to be hacked to death, people are stipud

Maybe it was an Al Queda Croc. :rofl:

Think of the unexpected shock value though. A bunch of people run to a crashed airplane looking for survivors, only to find one very alive and probably VERY ticked off Croc snapping at them and NOT in a place where one would expect to find it. I might be inclined to use a machette on one too if I saw that.

Edited by Jay Chladek
Maybe it was an Al Queda Croc. :worship:

Think of the unexpected shock value though. A bunch of people run to a crashed airplane looking for survivors, only to find one very alive and probably VERY ticked off Croc snapping at them and NOT in a place where one would expect to find it. I might be inclined to use a machette on one too if I saw that.

Idiot, who ever brought that thing on board has committed nineteen counts of negligible homicide.

This crash is an example of why we should never, ever let any aircraft from the DRC fly anywhere near us. Is it just another standard DRC plane crash. If ever there was a country that should only ever walk, this is it. I'm not even slightly surprised.

PM

I wouldn't go that far as there are plenty of foreign bush pilots who do good things in that part of the world. There are missionary fliers, flying doctors and there are also contract fliers who go into places that haven't seen an airplane in 30 years. But when they go and open up the routes that have long remained dormant, the communities there benefit quite a bit. There are MANY places in central and east Africa that a person can not get ANYWHERE in less then a couple months without some form of air transportation. But yes, with the good operators there, there are also plenty of bad ones and what passes for aircraft maintenance and airport landing strips can make you swear off going to that part of the world forever in a plane.

This crash is an example of why we should never, ever let any aircraft from the DRC fly anywhere near us. Is it just another standard DRC plane crash. If ever there was a country that should only ever walk, this is it. I'm not even slightly surprised.

PM

There is plenty of madness in Africa, but also some of the best pilots in the world too. This is in

in the North Kivu province of the DRC - about as close to Hell as I've ever wanted to be. There's no airport, or even a runway, and it's slap bang in the middle of bandit country so all the mining equipment/guns/humanitarian aid comes in on 410's onto the road. At the end of the clip there are a couple of An-2's which didn't make it. I spent six months flying into there, and it's no place to hang around. After I left I heard that another 410 went into the jungle a mile or two from the village, and sadly for the Serbian crew the bandits got to them before the 'rescue' party.

Vince

Maybe it was an Al Queda Croc. :P

"aww crikey, he's really ****** off now"

Wow! :jaw-dropping:

Thanks for the link! Loved how they made the turn with the road! :rofl:

When I was young and dumb I wanted to fly for Air America. I soloed in Laos and had ridden a lot in AA and CASI aircraft and had an idea what it was all about...so I thought. I'm happy I ended my career in DC-10s...none of that road s--- for me at my age!

I can recall riding in a Porter and landing on strips that were a bit shorter than the Pilatus book values and having to get out and push the tail around to take off, the runway was slick mud and the pilot couldn't get it to turn so we just pushed it around.

I've seen footage of Walikale before. I can't recall if it was Nat Geo or Discovery, but they filmed the takeoff of a bush pilot who started his run near where the two Antonovs were parked (crashed). The road is actively used quite a bit and people only get off of it when a plane either lands or takes off. And you thought YOUR runway approach was rough!