Hey guys just thought I'd share one of my Huey builds.

I built this a year or so ago now and it's the Dragon 1/35 kit and depicts 117th AHC, Vietnam, decals fireball modelworks. I added parts like seats, instrument panel from the MRC UH-1C kit as the Dragon ones are terrible! Wish MRC would do a slick! I scratchbuilt(virgin) some other items including bulkheads behind pilots doors and access panels behind the gunner etc. It's a bit bare and full of dust but guys like Oliver and Andrew Doppel and seeing their Huey builds have inspired me to get back into it and leave no stone unturned in the future.

Enjoy.

Chris

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

Edited by UH-1Mad

Great looking Huey, I like what you did with the troop seats, thinning the seat supports and canvas down makes a huge difference. Otherwise the supports would be the scale equivalent of 4" steel pipe!

How come you didn't use the kit's PE seatbelts for the troop seats? That was one of the few decent parts in the entire kit. I second your wish for a new UH-1H. After seeing what Dragon can do with their armor kits, I wish they would put that talent into designing a brand new slick. It would truly be awesome.

Regards,

John

It looks great, good job on it. On the next one, you might want to work on the decals a bit more. They all look silvered. Make sure you put down a good coat of gloss before decaling and that should rectify the problem. Other than that, it looks great.

It looks great, good job on it. On the next one, you might want to work on the decals a bit more. They all look silvered. Make sure you put down a good coat of gloss before decaling and that should rectify the problem. Other than that, it looks great.

Very Nice!! Wasn't there a rumor that MRC is coming out with an "H" soon?

cant have too many Hueys on this site.

I love Vietnam Hueys and this one is one fine looking model. Very clean build.

Well, Decals silvering ....we have all been there.

I only wish that Panda would have fixed their oversized rivets and open the front doors.

In any case you have my vote on this one.

Oliver

Great looking Huey, I like what you did with the troop seats, thinning the seat supports and canvas down makes a huge difference. Otherwise the supports would be the scale equivalent of 4" steel pipe!

How come you didn't use the kit's PE seatbelts for the troop seats? That was one of the few decent parts in the entire kit. I second your wish for a new UH-1H. After seeing what Dragon can do with their armor kits, I wish they would put that talent into designing a brand new slick. It would truly be awesome.

Regards,

John

This was one of the early "Panda" releases which didn't include any photo-etch hence no seatbelts. I have a few Dragon kits in possession now so will be going the full hog with my next Huey's. Plan to do Australian Army Huey next and then some more Vietnam era slicks. Wish I could take credit for the thinning of the seats for the gunners but no, they are from the MRC kit as well from what I remember, I just cut them to size.

As for the decals, I've come across an Aussie version of Future so I might give it a go on this and see what happens.

Chris

cant have too many Hueys on this site.

I love Vietnam Hueys and this one is one fine looking model. Very clean build.

Well, Decals silvering ....we have all been there.

I only wish that Panda would have fixed their oversized rivets and open the front doors.

In any case you have my vote on this one.

Oliver

Thanks for the encouragement Oliver, much appreciated. Yes the oversized rivets are a drag, literally!

I do prefer the overall look of this Huey to the Revell one though, The nose area of that Revell slick is just horrible to my eyes even though the overall detail is better(rivets etc). Each one has their pros and cons but that could easily be a whole other thread! I was toying with opening the front doors but just at that time didn't have the tools or patience to do it, but definitely will on the next ones after seeing what you guys do.

Chris

Very Nice!! Wasn't there a rumor that MRC is coming out with an "H" soon?

Tell me it's true!!!

Tell me it's true!!!

Tell me it's true!!!

Tell me it's true!!!

Tell me it's true!!!

I would buy a hundred of these!

Nice Huey! I especially like the M23s. One small detail you might want to look at is the tail skid. OOB it lies at way too high an angle to the tail boom. Just raise it up a bit to lower the angle and you are GTG though. Again, nice build though and you can never have too many Huyes!

Ray

check this pic of a Flat Iron Huey to see what I mean about the tail:

PICT5570.JPG

Hey Chris,

Great effort! Do yourself a favour and buy some Pledge One-Go floor polish from Safeway/Woolworths. It's quite reasonably priced and will last you ages. Cover your windows, get a brush and run some along the edge of the decals. The One-go is exactly like future. It will suck the decals down and then spray an all over coat with the One-Go which will then give you a clear coat and seal the decals to the model. You may have to run a bit of One-Go under the decals depending on the size of the decal. Then you can weather or wash the model before spraying a Dull Cote over the finished chopper. It will then give you a semi-gloss look and hopefully the silvering will have disappeared. After you've sprayed the One-Go use a tissue or cotton tips to remove any excess run off otherwise it will dry like a paint run.

Tip though! if you have an airbrush that you spray enamels in DO NOT spray the One-Go through it as it is an acrylic and may cause issues if you don't clean your airbrush properly. If you need further assistance or help, you know where to find me.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Andrew :bandhead2:

• 7 months later...

Those are custom decals. I made them myself. They are from my father's helicopter in Vietnam. He was awarded a DFC in that bird. Click here: http://www.vhpamuseum.org/companies/117ahc/117ahc.shtml There's a picture of him standing in front of old 747 and my model is about 3/4's down the page.

Gloss, a little decal softener will help, then gloss, then matte will do the trick on the silvering.

Edited by Pilot3a

Interesting... I searched the web for those decals and sure enough... someone has taken my drawings and replicated them for profit.

For the record: 00747 is a real aircraft that was flown by real heros assigned to the 117th AHC. Brave men all of them.

Interesting... I searched the web for those decals and sure enough... someone has taken my drawings and replicated them for profit.

For the record: 00747 is a real aircraft that was flown by real heros assigned to the 117th AHC. Brave men all of them.

Hold on partner, you implying Joseph is doing something wrong.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/fm_D04.htm

Cause if you are, we are fixing to have a problem.

I doubt Joseph Osborne used any of your drawings. This was a well-known aircraft and was photographed many times, as the rest of the helos on his sheet were. It is more likely he picked some of the more interesting schemes and reproduced them.

We all know these were real aircraft flown by real heroes as well. No one said anything otherwise. Most of us build them as tributes to those who flew them as well.

Not a good first impression to come on and accuse a well-respected producer of decals and update sets of being a crook.

Edited by HeavyArty

I respect your father's service, however, I have to agree with others that Jospeh is a very respected and very ethical member of the modelling community. I have probably a dozen or so shots of your dad's bird from the US Army Aviation Museum. No plagerism of your work is necessary to reproduce the decals. By the way, Joseph did a set of custom decals for my father's bird and instead of being upset, I'd ne honored if others wanted to use those markings. Please feel free to post some of your custom work as well if you'd like. You can never have too many Hueys!

Ray

I will also vouch for Joseph Osborn (Fireball Modelworks), if in fact that is who is being implicated here.

I have had numerous business and personal transactions with Joseph over these many years.

I know him to be an honest and ethical person, with whom I have the highest regard.

Enough said,

Pete Brown

The decals are fireball, the sheet he does for the Vietnam Hueys has many different aviation units/companies on the one sheet. They are great decals and he's a true professional.

I built the Panda boxing of this kit last year. One thing you need to be careful when building this or the Dragon boxing is that the rotor blades are wrong for a UH-1D/H or a Bell Model 205. This kit depicts Bell 212 blades or UH-1N. It is easily fixed by removing the trailing edge of the rotor blades.

See mine here

Edited by SteveV22FE
  • 6 years later...
On 5/25/2011 at 6:59 AM, rotorwash said:

I respect your father's service, however, I have to agree with others that Jospeh is a very respected and very ethical member of the modelling community. I have probably a dozen or so shots of your dad's bird from the US Army Aviation Museum. No plagerism of your work is necessary to reproduce the decals. By the way, Joseph did a set of custom decals for my father's bird and instead of being upset, I'd ne honored if others wanted to use those markings. Please feel free to post some of your custom work as well if you'd like. You can never have too many Hueys!

Ray

dial 'er back 20 there partner. I'm just telling you, I scratch built those Annie Fanny '747 decals back in the early 2000's. The pictures got posted to the web a little while later (along with many others) I am more than ok with http://www.fireballmodels.info/fm_D04.htm making them available for others to use. I'll never lay ownership claim with this artwork. First, Annie Fanny is likely owned by Playboy or Kurtzman himself.  Second, regarding the 117th and 00747, well the guys that brought life to those a/c's I know would love to see their unit immortalized this way!  To be forthright, I am super happy others get a chance to order a decal sheet like this... as a kid, I would have done anything to get my hands on this so I could properly mark my model Hueys.  

Edited by Pilot3a
1 hour ago, Pilot3a said:

dial 'er back 20 there partner. I'm just telling you, I scratch built those Annie Fanny '747 decals back in the early 2000's. The pictures got posted to the web a little while later (along with many others) I am more than ok with http://www.fireballmodels.info/fm_D04.htm making them available for others to use. I'll never lay ownership claim with this artwork. First, Annie Fanny is likely owned by Playboy or Kurtzman himself.  Second, regarding the 117th and 00747, well the guys that brought life to those a/c's I know would love to see their unit immortalized this way!  To be forthright, I am super happy others get a chance to order a decal sheet like this... as a kid, I would have done anything to get my hands on this so I could properly mark my model Hueys.  

Holy blast from the past!  This was over 6 years ago!  Well Fireball no longer sells decals so it's a moot point one way or another.  However, the new Kitty hawk kit also has an Annie Fanny bird as well, but the decals are nowhere near as good as Joseph's were.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
2 hours ago, Pilot3a said:

I'm just telling you, I scratch built those Annie Fanny '747 decals back in the early 2000's. The pictures got posted to the web a little while later (along with many others) I am more than ok with http://www.fireballmodels.info/fm_D04.htm making them available for others to use. I'll never lay ownership claim with this artwork. First, Annie Fanny is likely owned by Playboy or Kurtzman himself.  Second, regarding the 117th and 00747, well the guys that brought life to those a/c's I know would love to see their unit immortalized this way! .  

Just as an aside, Scale Aircraft Modelling did an issue in the mid 80's on Huey markings in Vietnam that I used as reference for a 1/72 H model (Esci kit) that won an award at a local contest in 1985. While I did a different machine, there was certainly an artwork profile of Annie Fanny in that article too so the artwork was well known long before whatever you did in the early 2000's so don't strain yourself patting your own back. This article was the first I saw relating the artwork to a Huey but of course I had  seen Playboy before that.Of course the guy that painted the original helicopter didn't create the art either as you have acknowledged...... 

P.S. As I understand it wasn't unique to one helicopter either, the whole Platoon used the Annie Fanny artwork......

Edited by RCAFFAN

1st Platoon had Annie on the nose. Second had the Pink Panther (originally from the artwork cover of the musical score by the same name) and the Gun Platoon, Sidewinders, carried an image of an open mouthed snake.

Here's the damage report on a/c 66-00747 and the pilot citation that followed. This is why that particular a/c is worthy of a replica . 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9o_aPZ2cNxKVTFtaHpJZWpFZVU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9o_aPZ2cNxKcGxTbkxtZ2NzTnM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9o_aPZ2cNxKNDlrTHJYRTh6bjQ

Edited by Pilot3a