alternative to aeroclub rigging thread

I've heard nothing but good things about the stretchy elastic Aeroclub product, but it appears to be unavailable now. Is there anything else like it out there. I've seen stretchy thread on some sewing sites, but I don't know what thickness it comes in

I've used invisible mending thread (Clear and Smoked) and Maxima Chameleon fishing line. The latter is available in sizes from 0.15 upwards in (near enough) 0.02 increments. Each of these monofilament lines are secured with cyano glue and do look the part. They also add a great deal of strength to the finished model making them considerable more robust than they would be with stretchy thread.

PM

I've used both lycra thread a la aeroclub and invisible thread (monofilament). They both have their place but the methods of use are quite different so if you decide to change to monofilament you will need to do a bit of reading and practicing.

I just can't help but believe that the stretchy stuff is going to lose its elasticity over time and end up sagging like crazy. I've never seen anything stretchy like that that didn't.

I believe I'll stick with monofilament. If it sags, you can always re-tighten it with a little heat.

J

• 1 month later...

the problem with monofilament is that I'm not the world's most careful modeler, and I end up snapping lines repetedly.

As for sag, I used stretchy thread for some aerial wires on kits built 2-3 years ago, and its as tight as it was on day one. What will it look like 10 years from now? I don't know. I've never had a model survive for that long.

I just can't help but believe that the stretchy stuff is going to lose its elasticity over time and end up sagging like crazy. I've never seen anything stretchy like that that didn't.

I believe I'll stick with monofilament. If it sags, you can always re-tighten it with a little heat.

J

belief vs experience

My earliest model done with ez line is close to 6 years old now with absolutely zero hint of sag.

Monofilament does have it's place. In a nice mountain stream with a fish on one end and a rod on the other <_<

To the OP the Bobes link above looks like he's still stocking it.