1/48th scale F/A-18F cockpit (Aires). Very fine details. I cleaned resin with soft toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. I sprayed Tamiya Super fine white primer on cockpit items not including dials and instruments and the ejection seats. The question is, is it even necessary to prime a resin cockpit? Will with paint work good without it?

Hi David,

I find enamels are OK to go onto bare resin, as are Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics but be careful with Lifecolor and other acrylics as the slightest knock takes the paint back off again

Cheers

Lee

Thanks. So I left the Instrument panels and cockpit tub bare, will throw on model master enamels with my airbrush. I primered the seats and the "black box" accessories behind the WSO's seat. Looked pretty good, but I don't want to risk covering the fine details such as buttons and gauges on the side consoles and instrument panels. After cleaning the resin with a tooth brush and rubbing alcohol, the primer stuck right on, so the enamels should be ok too.

well I think priming is not a necessity at all as long as you clean the parts. However I do prime resin because all the detail stands out better and is easier to paint. Especially with light yellow resin. I use tamiya fine primer straight from a spray can. Easy and fast.

I prime just about everything. You dont need to, of course. But sooner or later, you'll find out you should have - when you didn't. Usually you learn this the hard way.

SO I just do it to everything. It can't hurt.

Edited by dahut
I prime just about everything. You dont need to, of course. But sooner or later, you'll find out you should have - when you didn't. Usually you learn this the hard way.

SO I just do it to everything. It can't hurt.

Amen to that.

Kev

I have Tamiya's fine primer. Will it cover up details such as small buttons on a 1/48-scale cockpit?

Not likely. Remember you are laying down a few misting coats when priming, not slathering the piece in layers of paint.