credit cards on Hannants compromised

Hello guys

I would like to warn you, that most probably somebody somehow stole details about credit cards registered on hannants and misused them for online transactions (in my case 2x 900$). At the moment there are 8 people confirmed from Czech Republic and Slovak Republic and all of us got call directly from our banks and our credit cards are blocked. Cards are registered (at least) in four independent banks (so hacking into the bank is out of question), we do live in different towns and even countries (camera on cash maschine is out of question) and I personaly used this particular card online only once - on hannants.

I recommend at least to check your bank account, in case you will notice some unathorised transactions, please, contact also hannants. (And block your credit card, of course)

I understand, that I am not permanent member on ARC, so you might consider this message as a spam, so I provide you links to two Czech modelling forums at least to check out, that something is written there ... (in czech language)

modelweb

modelforum

IPMS Nymburk forum

I contacted hannants, they started investigation. I also appologize to them, as this might have serious impact for them and I understand they will not go public until they are 100% sure. But at this moment I am really convinced that the information leaked from hannants and I think it is fair to warn you.

Jan (Honza) Jezl

Edited by Jan Jezl

Same situation for me. Bank called and reported a security issue with a purchase from england. A recent Hannants purchase would be the ticket.

Not fun when most of your spending is linked to only one card.

A lot of modelers here in Brazil are having this same problem in the last days with recent purchases. I already talked with Mr. Nigel from Hannant's and he said that not to have noticed this problem, doubting that it is truth.

Once this is happening with customers in other countries, I feel that the Hannant's must to take a look with attention to the security of their website.

A lot of modelers here in Brazil are having this same problem in the last days with recent purchases. I already talked with Mr. Nigel from Hannant's and he said that not to have noticed this problem, doubting that it is truth.

Once this is happening with customers in other countries, I feel that the Hannant's must to take a look with attention to the security of their website.

I convinced most of the affected people in czech to write to hannants and after that Nigel wrote me, that they started investigation.

lol I just got off the phone with the bank, same thing here except it was charged in the U.S.

new card should be here tomorrow. kudos to the bank/ cc company for catching it ans warning us in a timely fashon.

Same happened to me on the weekend. Credit card company was right on it. The suspicious charge was from the US but have only bought from Hannants on the CC in the last month. No other foriegn purchases although have used it a lot in my home country. I am in no way implying that it is their fault but now seems suspicious with everyone else in the same boat.

Wow that sucks badly! This would make me hesitant to ever use them again unless they start accepting paypal payments.

Why? They're no more or less likely to get hacked than anybody else. Just like everybody else, they've purchased a third-party credit card processing system, and I'm sure it's just as (in)secure as any of them on the net.

The bottom line is, if somebody wants to hack something, they're going to find a way. Just like if somebody *really* wants to get inside your house and rob you, they're going to figure out a way. The best you can do is be as prepared as you can be, but beyond that, it's pretty much out of your hands.

J

well, I just deleted my CC info from my profile, it's probably there in some form or another still though. I think I'll hold on ordering from them until they get Paypal.

Why is PayPal any better? PP is very expensive for merchants, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

J

Why is PayPal any better? PP is very expensive for merchants, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

J

I'm sure merchants probably thought the same thing long ago about getting CC as they bill the merchants too. But, just about everyone uses CC for their business now. Paypal is being used by more and more merchants too, so why should Hannants not keep up with the trend?

J

Because you can load your account with just enough to cover the purchase.

And if your back-up funds are on a cc, you can cancel that card and order another. Which is what I have done and Paypal has no idea my back-up funds will not come off my credit card.

My cards have been skimmed twice now, there won't be a third time. I hardly use my cards too so I have a narrow number of users who could have skimmed my card. And all the purchases on my card have been in the US. Electronics theft is getting back. Each time the bank found out and phoned me before I even know a thing. They don't seem to care, they are making tons of money regardless.

J

All websites and their security are NOT created equal. Many people "claim" to have had their CC info stolen from PayPal, but to my knowledge their security is pretty solid and there have been no significant breaches that I am aware of. I've personally been using PayPal since its' inception (knock on wood) without any real problems (other than the odd shady seller here and there as an exception, which is HARDLY PayPal's fault) to speak of.

Also, to directly answer your question about "why is PayPal any better", the main reason is that the merchant would not have access to your payment info, as it is stored on the PayPal server. Therefore it is simply another layer of security against someone hacking into the merchants proprietary site. I tend to believe that the "cost" cannot be much more expensive than what it costs to use ANY credit card processing system AND much less when you factor in the harm this can/will do to Hannant's reputation and sales, in a razor thin profit margin world.

I think it is fairly telling that Hannant's recently re-did their website completely a few months back and now this happens. I think it is pretty obvious that their security is a bit lacking. Assuming of course that the breach did originate at their site, which has not been officially confirmed as of yet.

Rick

For those of you who have experienced unauthorized charges.... Have they all been large

transactions? Jan Jezl mentions $900 x 2, but recently I had a small charge (less than $2)

that I didn't make. My bank told me that crooks will sometimes make a tiny charge, to

check the account to see if it works, while trying to stay under the radar. I've used

Hannants a few times since they've implemented their new system.

$50 for mine. aparently they tried to fill up with gas and the gas station called it in. hopefully they were caught in the act, gas stations typically have surveilance cameras and will usually call the police as well as the cc company

I have seen those recently here in Canada, and have been eyeballing getting one for online purchases.

Anyone have experiences with them? Do they work exactly like a normal credit card (other than the incursion of debt)?

Thanks for the heads-up. My Visa card got hit for about $1,000 total for 8 or 10 purchases on Saturday morning between 7 and 745 east coast US time. Chase called me at 11 asking if they were good charges, since they didn't fit my purchasing pattern. Since they weren't, they were denied and the card canceled. Hannants was one of the few purchases in the last month or so. I had sent them and another non-Paypal seller a note about it and Nigel responded right away: "Thank you for letting us know. We will check into it."