credit cards on Hannants compromised

Had made an order a couple of days prior to this post starting..... they got me too.

CC company called me told me two separate charges of $2 and $4 then they tried $800......the last charge did not go through as the CC co. canceled the card and called this morning.

New card on it's way.

Emil

Had made an order a couple of days prior to this post starting..... they got me too.

CC company called me told me two separate charges of $2 and $4 then they tried $800......the last charge did not go through as the CC co. canceled the card and called this morning.

New card on it's way.

Emil

I wonder how many are being 'tagged' by this. Seems here and on BM there are quite a few.

keep checking your cards/banks boys and girls...

just went to my bank today to make a deposit and check if there weren't anymore charges (card was canceled monday and refunds issued...but since small companies sometimes batch charges and file them at different times, they can take time to show up) Saw the bank manager who had checked all week for me and he said it looked good, so I deposited and checked the balance...was still off. He just found 3 new charges $800 from this afternoon...

so keep an eye on your accounts.

I have just been hit by this (I'm in New Zealand) and I haven't shopped at Hannants in years. Actually, the last international charge I did was through Paypal but who knows when the info may have been stolen...

Same M.O. as everyone else. First a small charge and then a large one shortly after.

Stay vigilant people.

I have just been hit by this (I'm in New Zealand) and I haven't shopped at Hannants in years. Actually, the last international charge I did was through Paypal but who knows when the info may have been stolen...

Same M.O. as everyone else. First a small charge and then a large one shortly after.

Stay vigilant people.

I was hit a few weeks ago too, the Bank caught on before hand though.

Just had my banks anti-fraud people on the phone, a series of payments for £50 x 4 were made after the obligatory test tries of £1 to microsoft online services, hadn't bought anything from Hannants since the first week of their website(will also continue to shop there). Could be a coincidence, this was a debit card. So doesn't look to be over just yet folks.

Just had my banks anti-fraud people on the phone, a series of payments for £50 x 4 were made after the obligatory test tries of £1 to microsoft online services, hadn't bought anything from Hannants since the first week of their website(will also continue to shop there). Could be a coincidence, this was a debit card. So doesn't look to be over just yet folks.

Same thing happened to me last week - my banks fraud section rang, asking if I had made a payment of £450 to xx, £500 to yy etc.

I replied no - they then cancelled my existing Debit card and issued a new one - crediting me with the 'lost' amounts.

I did mention to them about Hannants - although I have used them in the past, I haven't made a purchase since their server upgrade in March - and have not therefore re-entered my details on the new website.

Halifax Fraud section called me again - and mentioned that it was their own 'Halifax Secure' system (where, when I make an Internet purchase, I am prompted to confirm the purchase via Halifax Secure) that may have been compromised.

Either way, they were on the ball and their Fraud Section picked it up and I haven't suffered any loss - except having to re-enter my new card details on every website I use......

Ken

PS - I have finally succumbed and got myself a Credit Card for its added security/insurance (I'm from the old school who doesn't like 'credit')

My Irish bank blocked my cc (while I was on honeymoon :bandhead2: ) because of some attempted unauthorized use- a small amount, then a larger one, as per the usual procedure. Shortly afterwards I received the Hannants email. I can only assume the two are related, although I never keep any credit card details on internet sites... except PayPal. Bizarre. It's as if details were intercepted as payment data was being entered.

Ha!... got one back over on the perps here! :thumbsup: Had a package show up at my door and did not recognize it. Opened it up and was not anything the wife or I ordered, so checked the old credit card. It had in fact been something ordered just after I shut down the old account. Called the number for the items we received and found out that the perp was not happy with their original "purchase," so they sent them back for an "exchange" and somehow the exchange got sent to my billing address on the card instead of where the perp wanted it sent to. The company in question issued us a paid shipping label to send it back to them and were more than happy to get their products back if they weren't going to get the payment! Just warmed my heart at the thought of some schmuck out there wondering where their "exchange" is at! Would like to hear that phone conversation if they call trying to track down their items! :rofl:

I am kind of wondering how they were able to make the original purchase AFTER the account was closed. One would've thought the card number would've come back declined. :doh:

Makes me wonder if your circumstance might yield some important information for the authorities on this case.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. If the person that used my card could be pin-pointed and visited, one would have to hope that they would identify where they got the card number from and start following that rabbit hole backwards. But I doubt the law would bat an eye lash... as I can tell you first hand about a FAMILY that has made a career out of identity theft, ducking creditors and dodgy so-called "businesses"... and this is not just on a local level, but over many states! They're operating at probably well in excess of $1-million-PLUS and our wonderful "justice" system just isn't interested in doing the simple things it would take to tie it all together and give these people some serious prison time considering the amounts! :thumbsup:

I could go into a lot more detail, but I truly don't want to write a novel and trust me... you guys really don't wanna be depressed by the justice systems total lack of interest in prosecuting. The really insulting part about the situation I know about is that the husband is a foreigner and by what I hear was recently allowed to become a citizen!!!! I'm sorry, but his @$$ should've been DEPORTED before that was allowed to happen!

• 3 months later...