The Late Bob Richardson's aircraft, now with the Boeing Museum of Flight is an original F, but is I think only airworthy on paper, and isn't flown. The other "F" was 'Pink Lady', a G modified for the Belle film and retained its 'F' modifications after the film, but that is also now grounded.

I wish they would re-paint 'Sally B' into something other than 'Memphis Belle'. It has carried that scheme for over 20 years and since they re-fitted the chin turret after the film, it is inappropriate to wear those colours.

b17h.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
The Late Bob Richardson's aircraft, now with the Boeing Museum of Flight is an original F, but is I think only airworthy on paper, and isn't flown. The other "F" was 'Pink Lady', a G modified for the Belle film and retained its 'F' modifications after the film, but that is also now grounded.

I wish they would re-paint 'Sally B' into something other than 'Memphis Belle'. It has carried that scheme for over 20 years and since they re-fitted the chin turret after the film, it is inappropriate to wear those colours.

b17h.jpg

Yea i read in a mag that Pink Lady was not flying because of the high cost per hour to fly her. I really wish someone here in the states could get it back in the air. I agree 100 percent about Sally B. I love the OD camo B-17's and would love to see it Chow Hound markings.

Brock

These were also taken at the Thunder Over Michigan air show this past August. Same as where Sean was at!

DSCN1922.jpg

DSCN1921.jpg

DSCN1918.jpg

DSCN1904.jpg

DSCN1899.jpg

My mom's father was a waist gunner on a 17 during the war. 50 missions and they came home and the stupid cancer got him before I was born. She has a bunch of old pictures he had taken from in the air that I need to get scanned. We still don't know what unit he was in or anything about his plane.

I've got some good stories that he had told her on the rare occasions that he would talk about it I guess.

If there's a 17 involved in the area I am there. Also if you have the opportunity to take a ride on one do it.

Kris

The B-17 on display at Dyess AFB. I took this back in late April, 2010 shortly after a paint job. It has faded some in the West Texas sun since then, but still leaves something to be desired. The markings are spurious anyway. 42-38133 was lost in 1944. This particular aircraft is actually 44-85599, and according to Joe Baugher it started life as a Lockheed/Vega B-17G-100-VE then was, "converted to EDB-17G then to DB-17G and then to DB-17P. Displayed at Abilene MAP, TX by 1972. Moved in 1974 to Dyess AFB in Texas painted as 43-38133 'Reluctant Dragon'".

Mark

IMG_3930.jpg